My girlfriend and I stayed at the San Luis Resort on March 22 - 24, 2013, for a little get away from Houston.
We were primarily looking for a nice "resort" like hotel where we could relax, have a few drinks (swim up bar helps) and enjoy the sun..
Overall, the San Luis Resort did not disappoint at all - the place was great.
The pool area was as close to a "Miami/Vegas" like pool environment you can get in Texas, minus the crazy drunk 20 somethings.. Our weekend was pretty quiet as it was the weekend after sping break. The weather was good for March, a bit cool and cloudy but still nice to be outside.
No rush to get a chair/lounger each day, probably due to the time of year, but either way was perfect.. It is a "family" hotel so there were ample children running around - note to parents, these are "YOUR" children, please watch over them and ensure they're not left unsupervised.
Lots of running and splashing, but it is a pool so no big deal..
Bartenders were great, friendly and attentive - waitresses for the most part were good, although it was looking for a needle in a haystack on Friday to get service at the chair area..
They play good music, not too loud and have cabanas for those who want less sun and more privacy perhaps..
Steakhouse was amazing - best filet mignon I've had in years, actually any steak, cooked right, great trimmings and the bread was warm, crispy with a soft center..! The ambiance at 'The Steakhouse' was great too - cozy, intimate yet inviting - slip over to the bar for some more quiet time and/or listen to the piano guy stroke up some sounds..
Then... if so inclined the outdoor pool lounge at night is super cool - nice setting, fire pits and a cool crowd is a great way to end the night. Happy hour on Friday appeared to go all night, which was a nice surprise seeing a much lower bill than expected - way to go!
As for the rooms - they are pretty standard, we stayed in a normal room, was older, but so is the hotel. If you want updated decor etc. - try the Club 10 rooms - didn't see them but heard they're more modern. But not disappointed at all with room (well... bed was WAY too soft for me..) - perhaps a mattress upgrade for those of us that like firmer beds..
The other intangibles - parking was fine, not a far walk from the back 40... Hotel actually had vending machines which charged only $1.50 for a 20oz drink - almost cheaper than the grocery store prices.. We didn't use room service, valet or the like but the valet guys were cheery everytime people passed by..
Overall was a great experience and would go back again.
- Also Known As:
- The San Luis Hotel Galveston
- San Luis Hotel
- The San Luis Hotel
- San Luis Resort Galveston Texas
- San Luis Hotel Galveston
- San Louis Hotel Galveston
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The San Luis Resort, Spa & Conference Center is one of the Gulf Coast’s finest beachfront properties offering a variety of luxury options. From Spa San Luis and the heated pool to its 40,000 sq. ft. IACC conference center and magnificent gulf views, it’s an ideal destination vacationers, business travel and corporate meetings. The AAA Four Diamond rated resort hotel offers the finest in award-winning dining, overnight accommodations and first-class personalized and professional service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Hotels.com, Expedia, Tingo, Otel, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your The San Luis Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.