“Nice But Very Noisy!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The San Luis Resort

Save Saved
You added The San Luis Resort to your Saves list
The San Luis Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   5222 Seawall Boulevard, Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77551   |
Hotel deals
Special Deal
$50 nightly credit
Ranked #17 of 49 hotels in Galveston
San Antonio, Texas
“Nice But Very Noisy!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Let me start by saying that the San Luis has some wonderful people working at this beautiful property. It is a sister property to the Golden Nugget in Vegas. Everyone we came in contact with at the hotel was very friendly and outgoing.

Now for the major negative. Sleep was virtually impossible every night in the room due to the noise coming from slamming doors and yelling people. I realize that it was Spring Break week, the hotel staff seemed unable to control the environment from those wishing to get some sleep. The culmination was our last night there (March 15) when we were unable to go to bed until 3 a.m. Te noise was unlike any I have heard in a hotel and numerous calls to the front desk (by those in many rooms) did nothing to quiet the noise. To his credit, the front desk manager did credit us with $150 the next morning off the room rate. However, because of all the things that you must agree to and check on your check in papers (don't remove your pool wrist band, no towels on the railings of balconies, no lost towel cards, etc) it would seem the San Luis could also require civilized behavior.

One other negative was the "express facial" in the spa. The facial lasted 12 minutes for my wife and not the promised 30 minutes. It consisted of nothing more than washing her face and applying cream. The massages we both received were great.

Room Tip: For a better view (and probably better sleep) get a VIP room which is higher up and probably less li...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
SanLuisGM, Manager at The San Luis Resort, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thank you for complimenting our staff during your recent stay with us. We were fully occupied during the week you stayed with us of spring break and certainly apologize for the noise you experienced. I have passed your feedback regarding your express facial along to our spa staff. If there is anything I can do to enhance a future stay with us, please email ehimes@ldry.com

727 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

I had another fabulous weekend at San Luis. Courtney, the H2O waitress, is fabulous and made our time by the pool seamless. Our only snafu was valet - they were highly disorganized and lost one of our bags. This is totally unusual in my experience. It took two trips down to valet and two phone calls to make something happen - we kept hearing they would call us "if" they found it. It was lost somewhere in the bell room or another guest room. Again, not a huge ordeal but the inconvenience of the situation was an issue. It took nearly three hours to figure it out. Our cabana attendant was spot on - especially given the busy weekend. She was quite busy shoo-ing people out of our space.

I will be back again in two weeks :-)

• Stayed March 2013
We're so grateful you choose to stay with us time and time again- we love our repeat guests! Thank you for your continued patronage and we look forward to seeing you again in 2 weeks!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband and I love the San Luis Resort and try to stay on Club 10 when we can. They offer breakfast daily with Club 10 and it's a spa like adult only floor. The Steakhouse at San Luis is the best I've had and you can escape to their inhouse spa for massages that are heavenly. After dinner we usually hang out at the pool bar, Club H20 or by the heated pool during the day. I would highly recommend the San Luis Resort, spa and Steakhouse for a nice couples getaway. Don't forget there is also Pleasure Pier and the Strand for shopping and family fun.

Room Tip: Club 10 is always great or try to get a corner room on any floor. They are larger and usually have e...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
SanLuisGM, Manager at The San Luis Resort, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thanks for staying with us again. It sounds like you enjoyed your stay on our adults only VIP Club 10 floor. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Houston, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stayed at the San Luis a few weeks ago. My wife organized the trip for my Birthday. We stayed on the 16th floor which is their VIP level. When we first arrived we were greeted with friendly Valet, and a very knowledgeable front desk attendant. When we got into our room there where roses all over the place, wine and glasses on the desk table, Prosecco being chilled in ice, and a piece of birthday cake! Wow! The next morning we woke up to not only an amazing view of the ocean and beach, but also the sweet smells of the coast that revitalizes and rejuvenate. The hotel provides a great free breakfast on this floor and we visited Saturday and Sunday morning. In the afternoon Saturday, we drove around Galveston and enjoyed the Strand which is super close to the hotel, and later enjoyed massages at the Spa followed by dinner at their amazing Steakhouse!
To say that this weekend blew me away - would be putting it lightly. Everyone at this hotel is super friendly - making the stay really enjoyable. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking to have a great time, Top-Notch hospitality, and amazing views!

San Luis - Job Extremely well Done!!

Room Tip: Stay as high up as possible, views are all probably amazing, but the higher the better in my opinion...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
SanLuisGM, Manager at The San Luis Resort, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Happy Belated birthday to you! The next time you want to stay with us, take advantage of our complimentary shuttle service in our resort Escalade. We'll be glad to bring you to the Strand, Pleasure Pier or most anywhere you need to go in Galveston. We look forward to welcoming you back for your birthday next year.

Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I have stayed at San Luis many times....even when we had our own beach house in Galveston. I have to fight friends that want to stay at the Moody Gardens over and over because it has the rain forest, pyramids, omni theater, etc. Also has convention center. It is a tourist attraction in itself, but like every other family in Galveston you can visit and do all the attractions. (If you have ever been in a hotel hosting a cheer competition....I am just saying good luck with getting food or an elevator) Staying at the San Luis just a few blocks away ocean front on Seawall is a true resort experience like going to a tropical resort. It has all the luxury pluses, beautiful heated pool, waterfalls, swim up bar that is always open, cabanas, beautiful hot tub in tropical setting, all ocean front views, private beach and waterslide. You will have a luxury experience and can always go down to Moody Gardens for the rain forest and other tourist activities. It has it's own 3 restaurants, but almost on the same property is a Rain Forest Cafe, ride, and IHop. My husband was with me for the first time this last visit and rather than sit inside and watch TV and nap....he actually went and bought a bathing suit so he could participate in the luxuries. A real first for him!

Room Tip: Unless you want a suite, the cheaper rooms are really just as good. They are on the lower floors an...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for reviewing your stay and we're so glad we delivered a true resort experience for you and your family. And sounds like you've started a new tradition and your husband will now travel to our heated pool with his swim suit. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

This was our second time to stay at the San Luis. It was even better than I remembered. This was a girls night away for myself and my 8 year old daughter. After a speedy check in, we raced to our room to find the decor had been upraded since our last visit. The chic room was filled with the lovely amenities we remembered. And the view of the water was spectacular. We immediately changed clothes and headed straight for the swimming pool. Even though the temperature outside was below 70, my daughter was thrilled to swim in the beautiful heated pool. Later, we took advantage of in room dining and as usual, the service was not only extremely timely, but the meal itself was outstandingly delicious and hot. We relaxed for the remainder of the evening by enjoying a movie in our plush king size bed. I awoke in the morning to a delivered newspaper right at my door and enjoyed the tasty Starbucks brand coffee that I didn't have to stand in line for. Again, the view was awesome. The time with my daughter...priceless. We look forward to visiting again. This is definitely the only place to stay in Galveston if you want to feel pampered and taken care of.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the elevators for extra privacy.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Your review really touched our staff- we are so glad you choose The San Luis as a place to create memories with your daughter! We hope to continue apart of your family traditions and look forward to the next time you two stay with us.

new braunfels
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Pricey, every time you turn around they want money for the use off everthing. A refigerator $ to carry your bags in, They set the price not you. A complamentry coffee $. Blown up bed in your room $,. I wanted to walk around while my family was asleep, and I asked the lady at the front if I could get a cup of complimantry coffee because I didnt want to wake every one up, She said I had to pay,.Realy, that was just rude then I told the manager later and all he said was sorry and he didnt even care if I was treated that way, Little things you can do to keep your customers HAPPY. That would off made my morning. That morning we did go down and have breakfast and spent Sixty dollors, So, I will be staying at the Moody Gardens, it is worth your money.. Get a room that is"nt connected to another room and you will enjoy it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us last summer. Our rooms are equipped with coffee makers and complimentary coffee. By requests, we can also supply air mattresses to our guests, which it sounds like your family enjoyed. We would love the opportunity for you to stay with us again, and if I can be of further assistance, please email ehimes@ldry.com

Brand Manager

Been to The San Luis Resort? Share your experiences!