“Another great stay!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The San Luis Resort

Save Saved
You added The San Luis Resort to your Saves list
The San Luis Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   5222 Seawall Boulevard, Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77551   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
$50 nightly credit
Ranked #16 of 49 hotels in Galveston
“Another great stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

I had another fabulous weekend at San Luis. Courtney, the H2O waitress, is fabulous and made our time by the pool seamless. Our only snafu was valet - they were highly disorganized and lost one of our bags. This is totally unusual in my experience. It took two trips down to valet and two phone calls to make something happen - we kept hearing they would call us "if" they found it. It was lost somewhere in the bell room or another guest room. Again, not a huge ordeal but the inconvenience of the situation was an issue. It took nearly three hours to figure it out. Our cabana attendant was spot on - especially given the busy weekend. She was quite busy shoo-ing people out of our space.

I will be back again in two weeks :-)

• Stayed March 2013
SanLuisGM, Manager at The San Luis Resort, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
We're so grateful you choose to stay with us time and time again- we love our repeat guests! Thank you for your continued patronage and we look forward to seeing you again in 2 weeks!

801 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband and I love the San Luis Resort and try to stay on Club 10 when we can. They offer breakfast daily with Club 10 and it's a spa like adult only floor. The Steakhouse at San Luis is the best I've had and you can escape to their inhouse spa for massages that are heavenly. After dinner we usually hang out at the pool bar, Club H20 or by the heated pool during the day. I would highly recommend the San Luis Resort, spa and Steakhouse for a nice couples getaway. Don't forget there is also Pleasure Pier and the Strand for shopping and family fun.

Room Tip: Club 10 is always great or try to get a corner room on any floor. They are larger and usually have e...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
SanLuisGM, Manager at The San Luis Resort, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thanks for staying with us again. It sounds like you enjoyed your stay on our adults only VIP Club 10 floor. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Houston, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stayed at the San Luis a few weeks ago. My wife organized the trip for my Birthday. We stayed on the 16th floor which is their VIP level. When we first arrived we were greeted with friendly Valet, and a very knowledgeable front desk attendant. When we got into our room there where roses all over the place, wine and glasses on the desk table, Prosecco being chilled in ice, and a piece of birthday cake! Wow! The next morning we woke up to not only an amazing view of the ocean and beach, but also the sweet smells of the coast that revitalizes and rejuvenate. The hotel provides a great free breakfast on this floor and we visited Saturday and Sunday morning. In the afternoon Saturday, we drove around Galveston and enjoyed the Strand which is super close to the hotel, and later enjoyed massages at the Spa followed by dinner at their amazing Steakhouse!
To say that this weekend blew me away - would be putting it lightly. Everyone at this hotel is super friendly - making the stay really enjoyable. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking to have a great time, Top-Notch hospitality, and amazing views!

San Luis - Job Extremely well Done!!

Room Tip: Stay as high up as possible, views are all probably amazing, but the higher the better in my opinion...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
SanLuisGM, Manager at The San Luis Resort, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Happy Belated birthday to you! The next time you want to stay with us, take advantage of our complimentary shuttle service in our resort Escalade. We'll be glad to bring you to the Strand, Pleasure Pier or most anywhere you need to go in Galveston. We look forward to welcoming you back for your birthday next year.

Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I have stayed at San Luis many times....even when we had our own beach house in Galveston. I have to fight friends that want to stay at the Moody Gardens over and over because it has the rain forest, pyramids, omni theater, etc. Also has convention center. It is a tourist attraction in itself, but like every other family in Galveston you can visit and do all the attractions. (If you have ever been in a hotel hosting a cheer competition....I am just saying good luck with getting food or an elevator) Staying at the San Luis just a few blocks away ocean front on Seawall is a true resort experience like going to a tropical resort. It has all the luxury pluses, beautiful heated pool, waterfalls, swim up bar that is always open, cabanas, beautiful hot tub in tropical setting, all ocean front views, private beach and waterslide. You will have a luxury experience and can always go down to Moody Gardens for the rain forest and other tourist activities. It has it's own 3 restaurants, but almost on the same property is a Rain Forest Cafe, ride, and IHop. My husband was with me for the first time this last visit and rather than sit inside and watch TV and nap....he actually went and bought a bathing suit so he could participate in the luxuries. A real first for him!

Room Tip: Unless you want a suite, the cheaper rooms are really just as good. They are on the lower floors an...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for reviewing your stay and we're so glad we delivered a true resort experience for you and your family. And sounds like you've started a new tradition and your husband will now travel to our heated pool with his swim suit. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

This was our second time to stay at the San Luis. It was even better than I remembered. This was a girls night away for myself and my 8 year old daughter. After a speedy check in, we raced to our room to find the decor had been upraded since our last visit. The chic room was filled with the lovely amenities we remembered. And the view of the water was spectacular. We immediately changed clothes and headed straight for the swimming pool. Even though the temperature outside was below 70, my daughter was thrilled to swim in the beautiful heated pool. Later, we took advantage of in room dining and as usual, the service was not only extremely timely, but the meal itself was outstandingly delicious and hot. We relaxed for the remainder of the evening by enjoying a movie in our plush king size bed. I awoke in the morning to a delivered newspaper right at my door and enjoyed the tasty Starbucks brand coffee that I didn't have to stand in line for. Again, the view was awesome. The time with my daughter...priceless. We look forward to visiting again. This is definitely the only place to stay in Galveston if you want to feel pampered and taken care of.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the elevators for extra privacy.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Your review really touched our staff- we are so glad you choose The San Luis as a place to create memories with your daughter! We hope to continue apart of your family traditions and look forward to the next time you two stay with us.

new braunfels
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Pricey, every time you turn around they want money for the use off everthing. A refigerator $ to carry your bags in, They set the price not you. A complamentry coffee $. Blown up bed in your room $,. I wanted to walk around while my family was asleep, and I asked the lady at the front if I could get a cup of complimantry coffee because I didnt want to wake every one up, She said I had to pay,.Realy, that was just rude then I told the manager later and all he said was sorry and he didnt even care if I was treated that way, Little things you can do to keep your customers HAPPY. That would off made my morning. That morning we did go down and have breakfast and spent Sixty dollors, So, I will be staying at the Moody Gardens, it is worth your money.. Get a room that is"nt connected to another room and you will enjoy it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us last summer. Our rooms are equipped with coffee makers and complimentary coffee. By requests, we can also supply air mattresses to our guests, which it sounds like your family enjoyed. We would love the opportunity for you to stay with us again, and if I can be of further assistance, please email ehimes@ldry.com

DFW
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

This is our second time at the San Luis resort. We booked two rooms for one night. Both on the Club Ten floor. We booked them a few months in advance & as like last time, I checked the website often & found the price to have dropped. So, I called, gave them my booking # & asked for the new, lower rate. We took my 81 year old Mom with us...her first visit to Galveston in 50 years! Boy was she surprised to see how it has changed! The hotel is lovely. The lobby was still decorated beautifully for Christmas. The Valet staff is over the top nice, in fact every employee we encountered was nice (excpt one - I'll get to that later). We checked in & found the rooms were just as I had asked for (next to each other). Waiting for us was a complementary (small) bottle of champange. We toasted our mini vacation & settled in. After discussing it, we decided we'd like to stay two nights, so on our way out for dinner, we stopped at the desk & spoke with a manager. He took care of our request for an extra night. I had asked for our rooms to be next to each other, which they were, but what I found odd was the hubs & I were in a room with a connecting door...but Mom was in a room to the other side of us (not connecting). It was a bit of a hassle to have to go in & out visiting between our rooms.... Not sure why they couldn't have put her in the connecting room.?

After dinner the first night, we came back to the hotel & got mom settled. The hubs & I went down to the H20 Pool Bar & sat by the beautiful fire pit (it was chilly). After one drink the staff came by & said they were closing the Pool Bar as it was too cold for the staff to be out.... we could stay, but we'd have to go inside for drinks. So, we decided to get a cab & go to a club down the street... we asked the valet to get us a cab & he offered us the Hotel car. We had a great time at the Spot & cabbed it back to the hotel.

On check out day, we received our bill under the door. ISSUE #1: We had been charged the correct rate for our first night, but the second night rate was doubled! I understood that the rate might be higher than the first, but was NOT happy about it. The Manager (when we asked to stay another night, didn't mention the rate would change). So, I thought I'd better check Mom's bill... ISSUE #2: She had not been given the cheaper rate for the first night (even tho both rooms were booked together) AND she was charged the same rate for both nights!

So we went down & spoke with the manager (Quinn). I had the bills & proceeded to explain to him the issues... I showed him the bills, as I was explaining & he pushed one off to the side so he could see his computer screen...I made a joke saying something light hearted about him needing to see the screen,.he said rather bluntly he didn't need to see the bills, I could put them away. So, he began to explain that the second night rate was higher because that was that night's rate... I showed him Mom's bill & asked why then was her's the same? That seemed to irritate him. He kept his head down, looking at the computer....he said the only thing he could do was to give mom the same rate as ours & honor the same rate for us for the second night. Which is all I wanted in the first place. He said changing the bills would take "considerable math, taking about 8 minutes to complete"... he said we didn't have to wait there. I wanted to have a receipt, but we felt like we'd just been "dismissed" by him, so we went back to our room to gather our things. As we went down to leave, he was texting with someone on his cell, so I thought he must be done correcting our bills... so I stopped & asked if I could have a receipt. He said that the other young man was taking care of it at the moment...so I asked if I could wait. This young man was very nice & handled everything without issue.

I had filled out the guest survey while in our room, giving great reviews of the hotel, but after being treated somewhat rudely by Quinn, added that info to it. We left the card at the Valet station & left. On our way home, I called home to check messages & Quinn had left a message saying he had read my comment card & he offered us a discount on a future stay or just let him know of anything he could do for us. He never appologized for his behavior, however. Doesn't really matter... I just wanted his superiors to see my comments, since they seemed to pride themselves on friendly customer service. Not sure if they did see it and I'm not certain if we go back (which we will) he'd even remember us to offer us the discount as he had stated.

Anyway... the hotel is LOVELY & we will go back & stay there again.....

Room Tip: Club Ten Rooms are the best!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
We're pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay on Club Ten- and even extended your stay with us! I do apologize for the confusion you experienced with your bills. You reference working with Quinn while you were check out- he was voted Employee of the Quarter for our entire Hospitality Division as well as recently promoted to Director of Front Office- so there is great confidence in his leadership. I'm unsure of your circumstances at the front desk, but he may have been training a new associate and teaching them our computer system and that's why another employee assisted with your final bill. We're glad to hear that Quinn went above and beyond to personally call you and extend a special offer for a return visit- we hope you will take advantage of his invitation and return soon.

Elizabeth Himes

Been to The San Luis Resort? Share your experiences!