“Great beach hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The San Luis Resort

You added The San Luis Resort to your Saves list
The San Luis Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   5222 Seawall Boulevard, Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77551   |
Ranked #11 of 49 Hotels in Galveston
Fort Worth, Texas
“Great beach hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Yes, beach hotels are always a little "worn", with the sand and salt air. The San Luis is Tillman's little vegas hotel in Galveston. The pool bar and cabanas are straigh out of Vegas, and he has spent alot of money over the years in order to make it the best in Galveston.

Room Tip: Pay for an upper floor room to be away from the families
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thesanluisresort, Manager at The San Luis Resort, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
We're so glad you chose to stay with us in Galveston. Thanks for your review and we look forward to having you back soon.

Brand Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
Atyrau, Kazakhstan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We went here as part of a group work event. In the luck of the draw, we were given a room on the executive level (15th & 16th floors) which is probably the same as others except that they offer coffee, juice, fruit & pastries in the morning, chocolates from afternoon to evening.
The room is large and roomy. Amenities include a safe, hair dryer, coffee maker, desk, but lacks a refrigerator or microwave. Each room includes a balcony, and in our case, with a great view of the Gulf. (Note: balcony door does not lock.) The room looks somewhat dated but more significantly, a new mattress is desperately needed as the bed concaved in the middle. Another badly needed update is that the windows are all single pane so no additional noise or weather protection are offered. (Note: they often have pool parties with very loud music.). The front desk did confirm that our room was scheduled for an update but were vague about what that would include.
We had a number of things that needed addressing and they were prompt about repair plus the added touch of leaving a box of truffles to indicate they’ve been there. We accrued three boxes during our five day stay!
Someone in our group commented that service has gone downhill. Being our first visit, I can’t comment on how it has changed over time, but something is amiss. Service seemed disjointed, inconsistent. Example: Being on the Executive Level, our room was supposed to have turndown service. No one ever came. Another person in our group said that no one came to perform the daily cleaning unless/until they called. I had a great Spa pedicure and my provider was great. When I walked down the Promenade, the cleaner turned off the vacuum cleaner as I approached and turned it on again after I passed. When calling the Front Desk, however, they seemed confused who was calling and it took three days and multiple requests to get the message light turned off.

Room Tip: highest floor possible, Gulf side. NOT condominiums!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thesanluisresort, Manager at The San Luis Resort, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Thank you for feedback of your recent stay on our Executive Level VIP floor. Upon request, we are glad to install a refrigerator and or microwave in your guest room for a $10 daily rental fee. Thank you for sharing that our Engineering team was prompt and courteous when correcting the issues you reported. We do offer complimentary turndown service upon request to all of our nightly guests. If I can be of assistance, please email ehimes@ldry.com

Ennis, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Hotel was fairly nice, but not fantastic. The music at the pool was WAY too loud and was hardcore thumping club music. There was also a lot of smoking outside but I don't think technically smoking was allowed...however no one was ever told to stop.

The room was nice, but bathroom was fairly small. I got a low price on Priceline so I was pretty satisfied, but had I paid full price I would have been disappointed. The good part was that we were able to park our car there for free during a cruise and they provided free shuttle transportation. However, the shuttle was CRAMMED. One person even had to sit on another's lap.

The room was cool, but the hallway was terribly hot.

Room Tip: All of the rooms have a view of the ocean, and that's nice.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thesanluisresort, Manager at The San Luis Resort, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Thank you for choosing The San Luis hotel while staying in Galveston. Over the past months we have been much more cognizant of the music levels at our pool and keeping the volume at an appropriate level. Additonally we are a non-smoking property and the only smoking allowed is near valet parking and at our lower level northside hotel entrance; we are quite strick on enforcing our non-smoking policy. Thank you for staying with us before your cruise and if I can be of further assistance you can email ehimes@ldry.com

Spring, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

My family booked massages at the spa. For the property being owned by the Landry Corporation (and that it is a "luxury" hote), I was shocked by the condition of the spa. The robes were tattered, and the spa shoes were flip flops that appeared to come from a discount store. The worst was the "relaxation" area. The carpets are faded, the chairs are very dirty and worn. The service was ok- but not as "special" as I was expecting from this property. I was also surprised by the disorganization at the reception area. In fact, the employee who checked us out was very rude. I was also surprised at the condition on the woman's changing area. It was not maintained. There were used robes, towels and shoes lying and hanging around the changing area. Very unsightly. There was also used toilletry items and stem wear that were left by previous customers. Although my step daughter and I were escorted into the room by an employee when we checked in, these items were not noticed and/or the workers did not care about the condition of this space. When I finished my massage, an hour later, the items were still there. Next time I'm going to the Galvez or Moody Gardens. Not impressed!!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else for spa services!!!!!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for reviewing your stay with us. I apologize your experience at Spa San Luis did not meet your expectations. I have shared your comments with the Spa staff to ensure we are monitoring the cleanliness of the locker rooms as well as all areas. I do hope the rest of your stay was enjoyable and relaxing. If I can be of further assistance, please email ehimes@ldry.com

Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

This hotel is definiltely overpriced. I am not going to say it is not good, but for the price you would expect way more. Also the instalations need some updating, the ac is very old, the cabinets in the restroom were falling apart (literally, one bit panel fell down and made a huge noise).

Staff is very friendly... However... biggest problem I realized was that it is not a 100% kids friendly place. We saw lots of flirting in the pool, which has dozens of adults piled on top of each other drinking by the bar, loud music up to 2am. What happens is that families tend to stay closer to the slide, and singles close to the bar. Anyway, this is not exactly what you expect to relax with your family.

But I guess for singles could be a good (and expensive) option. Right by the beach, so this is a plus.

Room Tip: Heard Club ten level is better. Maybe a good fit. Lower rooms can get noisy from the pool.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thesanluisresort, Manager at The San Luis Resort, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Thank you for your suggestions. Our nightly rates fluctuate depending on the season, month, day etc, so there is no set rate we charge for a room reservation. I apologize for the incident in your bathroom; we are undergoing bathroom renovations as we speak and are installing all new cabinetry. If I can be of further assistance, please email ehimes@ldry.com

Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Yes I read that they are updating the hotel this fall but we had occasion to stay there last month and I can see why.. Everything was old and worn. From the pool towels to the old carpet.. It was definitely not a luxury hotel even though they charged us luxury prices. I am ot sure I would visit again. The pool was open at night but there were no lights in the pool. Very dangerous as you could not keep an eye on your children. The pier that the San Luis shuttles you to is a joke. They charge you just to walk on the pier.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments. On Monday, September 10, we began a remodel of 88 of our guest room bathrooms. Additionally, we will be getting new carpeting in our Conference Center this fall. We have a mixture of brand new pool towels to some that may be a few months old. Our pool lights are on an automatic timer and turn on and off nightly; we don't usually have problems with this, however I will look into this. Our resort provides a complimentary shuttle to the Pleasure Pier and runs every half-hour to transport our guests to and from the Pier. If I can be of further assistance, please email ehimes@ldry.com

The Woodlands, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

If you are travelling without children and want the very best experience in Galveston, go with the Club Ten floor, which is an adult-only floor that offers the boutique hotel experience within the grand footprint of The San Luis. Everything from the lighting, furniture, fixtures, the TV built into the bathroom mirror... it's definitely upscale. A bottle of champagne greeted us in the room, and the staff treated us like we were celebrities throughout our entire stay. The complimentary bottled water, snacks, and breakfast were very much appreciated.

Dinner: The Steakhouse was an excellent choice for a romantic dinner. The escargot was fantastic - unlike any other we've tried. We were looking forward to the standard lemony garlic butter. These were actually served in a gravy, and it was simply delicious. The steaks were beautifully thick cuts, and they were cooked at just the right temperature, seasoned perfectly.

Overall, we enjoyed our experience and, without a doubt, this will be our place of choice for every visit to Galveston - but ONLY on the Club Ten floor.

The reason for the four stars instead of five - the obvious: the other floors and the lobby feel dated in decor - this could definitely be a five-star property with the the right aesthetic updates.

Room Tip: The Club Ten floor is worth the extra expense.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thesanluisresort, Manager at The San Luis Resort, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Thank you for reviewing your stay on Club Ten with us. We're happy to say that this fall our property will under go renovations to bring a fresh feel to the resort. We look forward to having you back soon.