“Best place to stay in Galveston” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The San Luis Resort

You added The San Luis Resort to your Saves list
The San Luis Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   5222 Seawall Boulevard, Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77551   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Mardi Gras! Galveston
Ranked #17 of 49 Hotels in Galveston
Austin, TX
“Best place to stay in Galveston”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

I have stayed at the San Luis a few times and I still believe that it is the best place to stay in Galveston! This past trip was for business; however it still lived up to my expectations. I have also stayed here for a bachelorette weekend and it was perfect for that too. If you are bringing children, I would recommend Moody Gardens because of all of the activities and attractions. But, there is much more of a beach resort feel at the San Luis. The pool and view of the beach is fabulous. The hotel has a hip/ modern but classic feel to it. The H20 pool bar is a fun place to hang out day or night. The steakhouse/seafood restaurant is closed on Sunday and Monday, so be aware of that. They also have an awesome talking parrot in the lobby during the day. I stayed on one of the top two floors of the hotel and the view is great- I believe that these are the VIP rooms and cost a little more. But, they come with free bottled water, snacks, and continental breakfast in the hallway. The customer service is great here too. The carpet in my room was damp from a previous guest and the maintence staff brought me truffles for the inconvenience. Great hotel!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Thesanluisresort, Manager at The San Luis Resort, responded to this review, April 9, 2012
We are pleased to hear that you have returned to our property many times. Thank you for your continue patronage and we look forward to your next visit with us!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
Pasadena, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

I just go married over the weekend two weeks ago and was very excited to spend a night at this hotel. Looking at the website I really thought I was going to get what I was paying for. What would you expect to get for $367 a night? Well I expected to get exactly what I was looking at when I booked online. From my point of view it was false advertisement. The room was not worth even half of what I paid. I was told by everyone I know not to go because it was too expensive and not as nice as a cheaper hotel. They were right. I will never stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Congratulations on your recent marriage! And I am so sorry to hear that our property did not meet your expectations. If you can share the issues you encountered during your visit with us, I'd like to rectify the situation. Please email me at ehimes@ldry.com and I welcome any feedback as well as what you were disappointed in with your stay.
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

We flew into Houston from Chicago for our Spring Break, spent the night grabbed a rent a car and were driving down to Galveston when we received a phone call from the Hotel informing us our reservation had been cancelled due to over-booking. No help to find another hotel, no offer of compensation for all of our trouble, no manager even on duty to speak with us during the call. Overbooked on Spring Break? who is running this place? Even worse who Owns it.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Greetings from Galveston! We are disappointed to hear that you had a poor experience at our property. It is our policy to never call a guest and cancel their reservation, even if we are in an oversold situation. The only time we will reach out to our guests before they arrive is if the credit card they provided is declined. If our hotel is in an oversold situation, when our guests check in, it is our policy to find alternate accommodations for them, which we pay for.
Additionally, each of our employees is empowered to enhance the experience we provide for our guests. We have a Manager on Duty 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, should an issue arise that needs attention from Management, so someone should have been able to speak with you.
If you can provide your name and scheduled arrival date, I would love to investigate your issue further and provide follow-up. I can be reached at ehimes@ldry.com and look forward to your email.

Regards,
Elizabeth Himes
Brand Manager
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

Great get-away spot with your family or friends! It's a beautiful property and the hotel is AWESOME! The tiki bar is is super cool too. Stayed here with my family when I was younger and several times with friends. Family orientated kind of place, so you're guaranteed a good night's sleep. Right across from the beach.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
We are thrilled you always enjoy staying at The San Luis! We look forward to having you stay again soon!
Arlington TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

The hotel is beautiful, especially by the pool. It's heated, and there is a waterfall pool that is also heated too! The daytime staff was great, but not the night staff. Really just one guy.. room service was pretty fast. Housekeeping staff was pretty good, except for a few incidents of them not replacing things like coffee mugs, robes... All in all I don't know if I would stay there again, I usually go with chain hotels who have a great reputation - Holiday Inn Sunspree is nice!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
We are so glad to hear you enjoyed our warm pool over your stay! Please feel free to reach out regarding the incident with a night staff employee as we attempt to correct any issues our guests encounter; my email is ehimes@ldry.com. We would love to welcome you back to our property, or the Holiday Inn Resort on the Beach or Hilton Galveston Island Resort, as they all make-up the 32-acre San Luis Resort.
Houston, TX.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

This place was gorgeous. The pool is a luxorious place to hang out. There are little private cabanas, and swim up bar service, and play upbeat fun music. The rooms are super nice as well. Everything is very close. You can walk right across the street and go to the beach, go to IHOP, Rainforest cafe, etc. We just stayed for the night, but had a blast and definately recommend it to anyone who wants to be pampered and wants to endulge. A little on the pricey side though.

Room Tip: If you are staying here, you may as well upgrade to an oceanview room. It is a little more, but it...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
We are warmed to hear you had such an enjoyable time at our property! Please let us know when you plan to return as we hope to WOW you again!
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

There are a lot of hotel options in Galveston but in my opinion none offer the service and experience of the San Luis Resort! This hotel is uniquely crescent shaped so that every room faces the ocean! When they say "ocean view" it isn't the type of view that you get from craning your neck around a wall to see the water. It looks directly over the ocean! The hotel and pool areas are elevated high above Seawall Blvd and offer spectacular views of the water and it has a lot of complimentary parking available for guests. The staff is always ready and willing to help in any way possible to make sure that your stay is comfortable and enjoyable. The breakfast buffet is extensive and the fresh orange juice is delicious. For a special treat I highly recommend dining at The Steakhouse. The name may not be very original but the food is unbelievable!! I don't think you'll find a better steak in Galveston or anwhere else for that matter!

Room Tip: The higher floors offer the best views! The 10th floor is the concierge level and they have complim...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
We pride ourselves on being a Four Diamond oceanfront property, and are so glad you were able to enjoy all that is the San Luis! The Steakhouse was voted #1 Steakhouse in Texas by Tom Horan's America's Top Ten Club for 2012 and is led by an impeccable General Manager and Chef. We look forward to having you stay with us again soon!

Been to The San Luis Resort? Share your experiences!