“Memorable” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The San Luis Resort

You added The San Luis Resort to your Saves list
The San Luis Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   5222 Seawall Boulevard, Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77551   |
Ranked #5 of 49 Hotels in Galveston
Houston, Texas
“Memorable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

Great get-away spot with your family or friends! It's a beautiful property and the hotel is AWESOME! The tiki bar is is super cool too. Stayed here with my family when I was younger and several times with friends. Family orientated kind of place, so you're guaranteed a good night's sleep. Right across from the beach.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thesanluisresort, Manager at The San Luis Resort, responded to this review, April 9, 2012
We are thrilled you always enjoy staying at The San Luis! We look forward to having you stay again soon!

Arlington TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

The hotel is beautiful, especially by the pool. It's heated, and there is a waterfall pool that is also heated too! The daytime staff was great, but not the night staff. Really just one guy.. room service was pretty fast. Housekeeping staff was pretty good, except for a few incidents of them not replacing things like coffee mugs, robes... All in all I don't know if I would stay there again, I usually go with chain hotels who have a great reputation - Holiday Inn Sunspree is nice!

1 Thank Michelle L
We are so glad to hear you enjoyed our warm pool over your stay! Please feel free to reach out regarding the incident with a night staff employee as we attempt to correct any issues our guests encounter; my email is ehimes@ldry.com. We would love to welcome you back to our property, or the Holiday Inn Resort on the Beach or Hilton Galveston Island Resort, as they all make-up the 32-acre San Luis Resort.
Houston, TX.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

This place was gorgeous. The pool is a luxorious place to hang out. There are little private cabanas, and swim up bar service, and play upbeat fun music. The rooms are super nice as well. Everything is very close. You can walk right across the street and go to the beach, go to IHOP, Rainforest cafe, etc. We just stayed for the night, but had a blast and definately recommend it to anyone who wants to be pampered and wants to endulge. A little on the pricey side though.

Room Tip: If you are staying here, you may as well upgrade to an oceanview room. It is a little more, but it...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
We are warmed to hear you had such an enjoyable time at our property! Please let us know when you plan to return as we hope to WOW you again!
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

There are a lot of hotel options in Galveston but in my opinion none offer the service and experience of the San Luis Resort! This hotel is uniquely crescent shaped so that every room faces the ocean! When they say "ocean view" it isn't the type of view that you get from craning your neck around a wall to see the water. It looks directly over the ocean! The hotel and pool areas are elevated high above Seawall Blvd and offer spectacular views of the water and it has a lot of complimentary parking available for guests. The staff is always ready and willing to help in any way possible to make sure that your stay is comfortable and enjoyable. The breakfast buffet is extensive and the fresh orange juice is delicious. For a special treat I highly recommend dining at The Steakhouse. The name may not be very original but the food is unbelievable!! I don't think you'll find a better steak in Galveston or anwhere else for that matter!

Room Tip: The higher floors offer the best views! The 10th floor is the concierge level and they have complim...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank MeetingsToGo
We pride ourselves on being a Four Diamond oceanfront property, and are so glad you were able to enjoy all that is the San Luis! The Steakhouse was voted #1 Steakhouse in Texas by Tom Horan's America's Top Ten Club for 2012 and is led by an impeccable General Manager and Chef. We look forward to having you stay with us again soon!
OKC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

We love to get away to the ocean and the San Luis provided a great atmosphere in the heart of the Galveston sea wall area. We only stayed two nights, but could have easily stayed more. The hotel staff was exceptionally pleasant. The common areas were clean and maintained. The pool area had a "resort" feel to it, which was nice. That being said, it is a pretty small area, and if the hotel is near capacity, the pool would be very crowded. This is especially true considering Galveston does not have a really nice beach.

The hotel is conveniently located next to The Rain Forest Cafe and Landry's Seafood (walking distance just across the street). We never ate at the resort, but I will say the steak restaurant smelled amazing.

With regards to Galveston, just know what you should expect. It's a nice little island, often used to port out for cruise ships. It is still trying to recover from hurricane IKE, but making nice progress. The beaches are very sub par, since the island is below sea level. I don't mean to sound critical, because we really enjoyed our time there, but we knew what to expect going in. If you demand crystal clear water and pristine beaches, don't go to Galveston. If you want a quick getaway, then Galveston should do just fine.

2 Thank mikim_OK
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and found our entire 32-acre resort to be clean and well-maintained. We hope to welcome you and your family back soon!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

The San Luis is a great hotel and resort to stay for a getaway from Houston! My wife and I stayed March 19 and were treated to a fabulous upgrade( which I asked for and received) We stayed on the top floor over looking the water. The club floors 10, 15,16 are great because they have snacks and water out all day as well as continental breakfast out until 10am each morning. At night we went to the H2O bar which was a GREAT pool bar atmosphere. If you like mojitos ask the bartender to make HER mojito. It is stronger and better than the original blackberry mojito. If I could critic the pool bar at all was it takes 10 minutes to get your drink after you order it. The service is great so it did not bother us. Try the filet at The Steakhouse and if you are in the mood for seafood try Landrys next door for the blackened tuna (Superb).Overall great night stay if you are looking to get away from the hussle and bussle of Houston for a day or week for that matter. We will certainly go back again!!!

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank chadspencer08
Great discovery on the personalized blackberry mojito at our extensive mojito bar! We are pleased you and your wife enjoyed a great escape to Galveston Island and chose to stay with us. If we can be of further assistance for your future stays, please reach out to me, ehimes@ldry.com. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Regards,
Elizabeth Himes
Brand Manager
Beaumont
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

We just got back from this hotel yesterday and I have to say I feel a bit ripped off. I always try to book a concierge level room since it seems to be a little easier with two kids. Usually.... this type of room level provides light breakfast, sodas, cookies, fruit, cheese sometimes a Honor bar or free wine. When calling the resort I asked this question. After being transfered to several people to answer my question I WAS TOLD YES THEY DID have a lounge with the following. I booked the hotel and paid $229 plus tax verses $180 plus tax for the basic room. When we stepped off the elevator I noticed a small table with a few pieces of fruit some candy and bottled water. When I called down to ask where the concierge lounge was I was told that was it. Really???? So I asked about breakfast? I was told they will put a few items on the same table. I asked well where do my children eat if that is the spot. I was told on the couch. Really... small children eating cereal on a couch and not a table. Well needless to say we did not eat breakfast. They did have something that seemed to taste a little like coffee, orange juice, a few tiny pastries (really a few), a bowl of yogurt opened and not chilled, and cereal with raisins that was poured in a large bowl for you to scoop it out. I think for the difference in price.... I would have rathered saved the money and walked down to the IHOP that was located in the parking lot. The IHOP sits just across the street from the Rainforest Cafe for a refrence point. I must say that the children did enjoy the pool area. It was large with a pool slide and two hot tub areas. The children did have fun swimming but OH MY the chlorine in the pool was so strong. I guess this beats swimming in a pool full of germs though. Ok so would I stay here again... Lets see... I had to go down to the front desk three times because the keys were not working right. The rooms were nice but still old. We had a room with two double beds that were really small. I can say that we did not have a good nights sleep. Oh and I must add.... if you want to stay at this hotel so you can sleep in the next morning.... forget it. The curtains are a sheer beige curtain that keeps no light out. In review, I guess I would go back just because of the pool area for the kids but believe me I would pay no more than the $180 rate for the basic room that I saw listed.

Room Tip: Do not pay for upgraded room!
    • 2 of 5 stars
Our concierge level is exactly as you describe, an open-lobby area as you exit the elevators, that has a variety of candy bars in the afternoon and is filled with fresh juice and coffee as well as an assortment of breakfast items. We don't offer a full breakfast on our VIP floors as so many of our guests choose to dine in our restaurants throughout the propert. I am sorry your keys did not work and we should have sent a staff member to assist. As all of our rooms are ocean front, facing south and are equipped with a sheer curtain as well as a black-out curtain. Please feel free to reach out and I am happy to look further into your stay with us. I can be reached at ehimes@ldry.com.

Regards,