“The service was excellent by every person that we dealt with.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The San Luis Resort

Save Saved
You added The San Luis Resort to your Saves list
The San Luis Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   5222 Seawall Boulevard, Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77551   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
$50 nightly credit
Ranked #16 of 49 hotels in Galveston
“The service was excellent by every person that we dealt with.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012 via mobile

The club level room was very modern, my wife loved the spa, I played golf just 5 minutes away and had a blast. The pool was heated and ready for business. The weather was70 degrees in January!! We had dinner at the steakhouse and it was also superb. We will back soon.

• Stayed January 2012

796 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
Cookeville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

My wife booked this resort from the property's website on the suggestion of another reviewer here who stated that by doing so you would be given a room on a higher floor. Our confirmation notice included a notation that we had requested an upper floor, and we were put on floor 9. I noticed many guests getting off at floor 5, which wouldn't have much of a view. So I believe that suggestion to have merit.

We only paid $99/night for this room, so it was a great deal for us. A heated pool was a very nice touch, as was the pool bar area. When you check in, the bellmen try to steer you to valet parking, which is totally unecessary unless you just like having someone do it for you. There is ample parking behind the hotel with easy access to the elevators.

The room is large, clean, and well laid out. Bed was great. My only complaint is the toilet, and I don't know if that is limited out our specifc room (908). The toilet is very low to the floor. Add to that the water level was rather high. So, as a man, I found myself getting dunked while trying to do my business. I hope someone from the hotel reads this and checks into the situation. Also the bathrooms could use a fan so the mirror isn't fogged when you get out ot fhe shower. For some reasons this feature seems rather rare in most hotels.

Room Tip: book at the site's website and request an upper floor.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

The hotel is nice and the rooms are comfortable. The pool/bar area is the really great part of this hotel. Having all rooms face the ocean is great also, but we had to many service issues for me to recommend this hotel to others. I reserved two rooms for two nights each. Check in time is listed as 4pm, later than most facilities. We got to the hotel a little before 3pm and neither room was ready. They had already unloaded the luggage from my car, but assured me my belongings would be placed in a locked room. So we went for a late lunch. We came back to the hotel at 4:15pm, over an hour later. My luggage was still sitting outside near the valet stand, but pushed off to the side. Then I was informed at the front desk that only one of my rooms was ready, the second room was not. We went up to the one room and the luggage was brought up. The bellman used his key to get us into our second room while he was there. He then went down and got us a set of keys for the second room. Unfortunately, we didn't check if they worked until after he left. They did not. Neither room had washcloths, but these were brought quickly when requested. The next day, we waited over 30 minutes for an elevator (we were on the 14th floor and our daughter is in a wheelchair). When we did get into one, we were packed tight. We came back to the hotel at 5pm and our room had not been serviced. When I called down about it, they asked if we wanted someone to come up to service it - no idea why that question was asked. Then at 3:47am (yes, AM), there were drunk people in the hall making all kinds of noise with a female loudly cussing and making racial slurs. All in all, not a great stay. At check out, the guy behind the desk asked me about my stay. I told him he doesn't really want to ask that unless he really wants to know. That was the end of the conversation. Again, the pool area of this hotel is great, but, to us, not worth the issues of the hotel. The worse issue was leaving my belongings sitting outside, unsecured for over an hour. With people checking in and out and people requesting their cars, there are several times no hotel employee was in the area and even when they were, there was no way they could remember who the owner was. Anyone could have picked up one of our bags. The other issues are somewhat minor by themselves, but together can only be termed a catastrophe

Room Tip: They all face the ocean. Just get high enough to have a good view, but low enough you can take the...
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

We booked a pre-cruise parking package via a telephone agent. We reconfirmed with another telephone agent a few days prior to arrival that our rate included parking and the shuttle to / from the cruise port. Upon arrival, they knew nothing about a shuttle and told us to call the Hilton up the road and ask them about thier shuttle. Clearly, we got the run-around and only after about 30 minutes on the phone and 4 different people were we told that the San Luis shuttle is by reservation only and was totally full -- and even though we booked the cruise package and cruise rate, we needed to separately reserve the shuttle, which we were never told to do -- by either (i) the agent who made us the origional reservation, (ii) the agent that re-confirmed our reservation a few days before arrival or (iii) the check in agent, who I specifcally asked if we have the cruise pack with parking and transport and she said "yes"....please park in the back lot for the cruise parking. Very disappointing since our cab fare there and back negated the savings we got in the rate. Additionally, there was a resort fee that I was never told about. All told, it cost me double what I was expecting and I would have stayed elsewhere.

Other than the mix up with the pre cruise pack, this place is just ok. If you are there for one / two nights pre-cruise there are better/cheaper places in the area. On a positive note, the San Luis is clean, with some close by dining options and a Kroger right up the road. The rooms were quiet and well staffed with towels, soaps, lotions, etc.

In general, Galveston is not a great cruise departure point unless you are within a day's drive. The port needs a lot more staff and taxi's etc to handle the bigger ships that now home-port there. The major Houston airport (IAH) is a long 1 to 2 hour drive away depending on traffic. Houston Hobby is closer to Galveston but flight schedules are more limited.

Sugar Land, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

This was our fourth time staying at the San Luis during Christmastime. The holiday decor is very nice, the service friendly and attentive, and the H20 pool bar was quite festive - plenty of heaters, fire pits, bartenders dressed in holiday gear, and even real live Santa floating around in the pool. We attended a Christmas party in one of the ballrooms, and the food was fantastic with good service - although our bartender this year was not very friendly.

PROS:
-Spacious & clean room with nice decor & setup (although we got 2 doubles instead of a king), comfy bed with plenty of pillows
-Friendly and knowledgeable bell hops and valets
-Prompt bar service in pool area
-Nice view (see CON below... get a high floor if possible)
-Robes are a nice touch (but now they only give you 1 and you have to ask for a 2nd!)
- Nice details like Mp3 clock radio, safe, flat screen TV, normal sized hairdryer in bathroom, luxury bathroom toiletries including Qtips & cotton balls.
-Pools are heated & swim up bar is roped off so kids are not supposed to go in that area.
-Hot tubs are HOT... would be nice if they could designate some for adults only. The romantic setting is quickly spoiled by annoying loud kids. (Hey - I have kids too but I left them at home to enjoy a romantic weekend with the hubby!!! :)

CONS:
-My biggest complaint -- I constantly smelled cigarette smoke in our room - not sure if it was coming in through vents, via balcony, or what. This has definitely been a problem everytime we've stayed here.
-Noise level... there was obvious a family with children staying above us, and they were up early and quite loud. Also H20 bar music is very loud most of the afternoon and into the evening - we were on the 8th floor and could easily hear it with the balcony door shut!
-If you are too low, you have a great view of the tar roofs. Not so great.
- Teeny tiny bathroom. I know there are rooms with larger 2 sink bathrooms, but the last 2 times we've stayed here, we've gotten the tiny bathroom. Difficult for 2 people to get ready at the same time, and the room is not well-lit enough to use bedroom mirrors to put on makeup, etc.
-$65 "incidentals" charge on the credit card - never noticed this before. They actually charge your credit card (NOT debit) and then credit it back "within a few weeks".

Clearly I believe the pros outweigh the cons since we have stayed at this hotel multiple times.

Room Tip: high floors have better views and less noise
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Rancho Santa Fe, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

We stayed here one night pre-cruise and all I can say is we will definitely return in the summer to enjoy all this hotel and the beach across the street has to offer! I loved, loved, loved the wonderful Christmas decorations this hotel offers! The lobby was magnificent and to find "Santa" lounging in the pool was a delight! Our room was very comfortable (even though you can see it's not a "new" hotel) and we had no complaints!! Loved the walking distance to several restaurants and the service was fabulous!! Thanks so much to the wonderful staff that made us feel like our one night stay was worth as much as a week!!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011

Wonderful resort, easy check in, we had a Single King Room with Gulf View and balcony on the 8th floor. We chose Valet Parking a rate of $15.00 per day plus tips. Our first night we decided on Room Service for a late evening meal. Food was delivered within 30 minutes, food arrived hot! The food was good. The bill was very high, you're paying resort prices. We were always called by name through out the stay. Thanksgiving Day the Resort had a Thanksgiving Buffet that was by reservation only. The Variety of food and the length of the buffet was unbelievable. The Quality of the food was to die for. The Wait Staff was very attentive. Management came by several times to make sure we getting good service, and asking about the food. We enjoyed our stay and our room. We knew what to expect for prices so when our bill came the total amount was not a surprise. We most likely will return for another Thanksgiving get away and return for the buffet.

Room Tip: You want a room on or over the sixth floor to be able to see the Gulf. Higher floors even better.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The San Luis Resort? Share your experiences!