“Beautiful stay at a beautiful location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The San Luis Resort

Save Saved
You added The San Luis Resort to your Saves list
The San Luis Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   5222 Seawall Boulevard, Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77551   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
$50 nightly credit
Ranked #16 of 49 hotels in Galveston
Grand Prairie, Texas
“Beautiful stay at a beautiful location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

We stayed here for a conference and had a wonderful time. The staff were very friendly, attentive, and helpful. There is so much to see within a short distance too. The seawall is just across the street and great for biking, walking or a jog. The view from the hotel is great, looking out over the water. The hotel has a pool and water slide. The spa and exercise room are nice. We enjoyed the food at the hotel too, but if you want something different there are all kinds of restaurants nearby.

Room Tip: I like a good view, so for me, the higher the better.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

803 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Schulenburg, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

My hubby got the romance package in the 9th floor deluxe suite. Awesome views, room was very comfortable with extra nice touches.

Room Tip: deluxe suite
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

Well for $369 per night I would have expected to be treated with a bit more dignity and respect. I'm actually in my hotel room (club 10 level) writing this review. Why am I in my room writing a review and not poolside with all of my friends for the birthday weekend that thousands of dollars had been spent on? Well.... When we arrived, with the rate we paid for our room, valet parking was meant to be free, as we were told on the phone when making reservations (guess what, it wasn't). Then as we watched other guest have their luggage brought into the "resort" not a single person even acknowledged us. That's okay I let it pass, I mean this was the first trip I have been able to take my wife on in 3 years, lets just enjoy the time. So we check in, and go down to the pool to celebrate my brother's girlfriends birthday. Now, some of us smoke, and some resorts can be picky about how and where you smoke, not a problem as I will just ask what to rules are and comply. Our waitress Mallory, informed us that we could only smoke in the Cabana's that we rented ($365/ cabana by the way). So we smoked only in the cabana. Apparently we found out there is a smoking section on the front steps where Valet parking is, we were never informed of this location when I asked where we could smoke. The next thing I know my wife comes over to me, crying, and states that "we have to go.....we got kicked out by the Police", (After 5 hours of being at the pool area and smoking the entire time). The management stated they had told us to quit smoking 2 times. I explained that we had no problem to smoke in the designated area, however, the police officer informed us that management had instructed him to escort us out of the pool area and that we could only remain in our rooms for the night. The management stated they did not know what we were smoking (implying illegal substances). For the price that I have paid, as well as my brother who just wanted to have a good weekend, we should never have been treated in the manner we were. I could understand if our party had gotten out of control, if we were rude. However when your paying over $500 for cabanas, and several rooms at over $300 a night, plus the untold amount that we spent on food and drinks, well I can say I have not ever had an issue at the Hotel Galvez. I would highly recommend that you be wary of staying at the San Luis Resort. If there is one thing that I cannot stand it is to be talked down to and disrespected while I am on vacation. Again I could understand if I was being rude and non compliant, however I try to treat people with dignity and respect to resolve issues. I am unbelievably upset that my wife and myself and our party of approximately 15-20 guests were treated in such a manner. I can tell you now that I will not be staying at the San Luis Resort for some time, I will be taking my business back to the Hotel Galvez. I decided to try something new, and I paid for it, figuratively & literally. I have done nothing buy apologize to my wife for the way we were treated when we simply followed the instructions we were given by our Waitress Mallory. I hate that I am writing a negative review because the hotel itself was actually very nice, however it is the people that make the experience. We had to wait for our meals and drinks for over an hour, our waitresses were very unresponsive (although very polite and appologetic for their continuous absence throughout the night....well I have to be here until tomorrow morning... I guess I'll turn on the TV in the room... I guess I could have done that in the comfort of my own home, but I paid for it so I'll try to make what I can out of this terrible evening. San Luis, thank you for making my wife cry, thank you for making our Birthday girl cry, and thank you for being disrespectful to my brother who shelled out thousands for this weekend, thanks for sending the cops to kick us out of the pool we paid for and still charging us!!

Room Tip: Half of the "resort" is comprised of condo's. If you get stuck in one of these poor q...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Clearwater
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

had a wonderful week here. And I would to say that the staff (for the most part) was excellent!
Crystal at the front desk was less than satisfactory and I would rather stand in a line for someone else than to ever have this girl check me in again. I would think that I was checking into a super 8 with her. You should really rethink her. And I think the housekeeping could do a better job.

I would like to sing praises of Christi at the front desk, she is excellent. Very genuine and nice. The Steakhouse was terrific!!! We had Caleb, he was very attentive, he was my favorite waiter during our stay. The second time we Carl and he was very good, as well. And don't disregard the Cafe while you stay. Alex was my server and he was just as good as the Steakhouse. The hostess in the Cafe (the one from Iowa) is the sweetest girl I have met. And has a smile that can light up the room. Lanae from the pool is a superb cocktail waitress.... request her! With employees like these, your resort will go far!!

The pool area is great and the prices are very good, everywhere you go. When you come here you really never have to leave the resort. They also have headlines on their newspaper to welcome groups. I came with a group of friends and I will come back again and again.

Also spend time to enjoy the spa! And Club 10 is great!!! No children..... just what we needed.
The breakfast buffet at the Cafe was great. The morning workers are hard to understand. I think they all are foreign. But other than that excellent service!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

My fiance and I stayed at the San Luis for two nights (9/9 and 9/10). This hotel is very nice and clean. The room was way bigger than expected and we enjoyed the balcony, coffee (in the room) and Iphone docking station. The in-room thermostat was also wonderful in terms of keeping the room nice and cold. The pool area is well landscaped and has a great view of the ocean from the bar.
If I ever go back to galveston, I would definately stay here!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

I'm finally writing this review so it's long overdue. We stayed at the San Luis hotel the weekend before the fourth of July. We travel to Galveston frequently but had yet to stay in the hotel zone along the Seawall and wanted to find something nice in that area.

I was worried about check-in because I had read reviews that this hotel was challenged to efficiently get guests check in by the check-in time. This indeed happened to us and we were sent out to the lounge/pool areas to wait. It was 5:30PM and several visits to the front desk before they found us a room but they were gracious and offered us an upgrade to the near top floor with incredible views.

They were prompt in cleaning the room during our visit and all the staff members were kind and pleasant.

Our favorite part of the hotel was the cool pool & slide area which our children adored. The pool however due to the horrible Texas heat was WARM. Not just a little warm but very warm. Very little you can do to avoid that and we thought "no problem, we'll just go across the street to the ocean to cool off", but no, even the ocean was WARM. I've traveled to Galveston many, many times and had never experienced surf that was like bath water. This was a rough year for heat in Texas.

The hotel staff on one occasion was extremely helpful when I inadvertently left my bathing suit top on the balcony to dry and it flew off....landed on the rooftop of the main hotel area. We asked for assistance to retrieve it and the staff immediately sent someone to the roof and then delivered it to our room. Our bad...the hotel has signs in the room that request that no garments are left on the balcony.

Outside of check-in, we were well taken care of and had a great 3-day stay in Galveston. We'll likely be back within the year!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Ruskin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

I just completed my second meeting at the San Luis in Galveston TX. We were there before the hurricane and I was pleasantly surprised that the hotel was up to the high standard we experienced on our first trip. We had two days of meetings and a banquet for 130 and the staff at the San Luis was wonderful and the service was flawless. The rooms were great and over all we had a great stay and we will be going back.

Room Tip: All the rooms are gulf view it might be better not to be over the pool if they have a band it can be...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Been to The San Luis Resort? Share your experiences!