“An older but very well run La Quinta” 4 of 5 stars
Review of La Quinta Inn Galveston East Beach

You added La Quinta Inn Galveston East Beach to your Saves list
La Quinta Inn Galveston East Beach
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1402 Seawall Blvd, Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77550-8199   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 25%
Ranked #26 of 49 Hotels in Galveston
Spring, TX
“An older but very well run La Quinta”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

This is one of La Quinta's corporate-owned locations, rather than one of their more numerous locally-owned franchises. And like most of their corporate-owned ones it's older than most of the franchises. But also because it's corporate-owned it's also much better operated and staffed. It's very well located on the seawall, between and near the Pleasure Pier, the Strand, and many restaurants.

We had one of the 2 executive king suites at the upper front of the building overlooking the Gulf and beach across the seawall boulevard. Great View. Pics attached. Room was large, with sofa (bed), easy chair, desk and swivel desk chair, microwave, small refrigerator. Furnishings were a tad dated and well-used, but in good condition. Carpet was somewhat worn but not frayed, and was clean. Lots of lighting, which is more often lacking. Everything functioned. The bed was very comfortable... soft, just the way we like it.

The large HDTV worked well and had a great picture, and HD service. But there was no on-screen program guide and no printed off-screen program guide. Lots of hunting to find something.

The bathroom was very clean, but smallish. Being an older-design La Quinta the bathroom is two sections, one for the vanity area with a large doorless opening into the sleeping area, and the bath/toilet area being a quite small separate area with a door off the vanity area. Everything was clean and everything worked. However, it took some time running water to finally get hot water.

The air conditioning worked great, and had a digital wall thermostat. But the ac was fairly loud when running. And be aware that it has one of those “efficiency” thermostats that off-set the temperature upward by 4 degrees after midnight until morning hours, on the theory that you won't notice that it's 4 degrees warmer while you're asleep. Though it was mid-February it was warm outside so we definitely noticed. And got up to reset it.

The breakfast was fairly average, OK but not great, just what you normally see at these things. Had adequate amounts of a decent variety. But adequate seating was lacking for the large crowds. There is a Denny's restaurant immediately adjacent to the hotel parking lot. For those not familiar with Denny's it could be described as an IHOP clone. The hotel swimming pool was out of service being replastered to be ready for the coming summer. Seemed an attractive area with good seating.

The staff was very friendly, helpful, and professional on all shifts. That is typical of corporate-owned La Quintas, as opposed to the behavior of staff you often encounter at their locally-owned franchises that have no training program for staff and a high employee turnover rate.

This was our second stay here, and we will again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank xplorers2

Union, Nebraska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

We spent two nights before our cruise. When I made the reservation, directly with the hotel, I asked about parking while we were on the cruise. The lady said, of course, no problem, but we do not have a shuttle. Upon check in, I asked just to reconfirm and the person at the desk said, No way, because this was Mardi Gras. Who told you that? Well, it was the person who made my reservation when i called the hotel direct, I told her. I was disappointed, but was able to secure parking on my own. I think I would have looked around for other places to stay that offered parking and shuttles. Hotel was ok, otherwise.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Waconda
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

My company personnel stayed at the La Quinta Inn in Galveston East. We could not have asked for a better time. We booked a total of 8 rooms for the week and were extremely pleased. The staff and mangement bent over backwards to assist us. The rooms were very clean, the staff extremely friendly and helpful and catered to our business. This stay was a very pleasant surprise. I will definetely stay away from the more expensive hotels and stay here again once we are back in town. Great job, and thank you!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Carroll, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

The office was quite busy when we checked in, but the male employee was able to get it done quickly, with a few confusions. Our first problem was taking my mother to her handicapped room only to find there was no way to park near her room. That was also when we discovered that our rooms were quite a distance apart, even though I had spoken with staff on site when making the reservations, and was assured our rooms would be adjoining. That problem could not be fixed, so we settled into the rooms we were given, and then went out for dinner.
Upon returning to the hotel, we found we couldn't even drive through the parking lot because a large number of people were there, drinking alcohol while standing in groups and also sitting in lawn chairs. We had to stop our vehicle in the middle of the driveway to get my mother into her wheelchair and walk her through the "party" to her room. My husband and I then sat in our truck in the driveway for about 30 minutes while hoping a parking spot would become available. During this time we were harassed, and I was called a profanity, by the groups in the parking lot, who had brought out coolers of alcohol and loud portable radios. I went to my mother's room to call the office and ask what we should do to park and was told there was nothing that could be done as there were not as many spots as rooms. I went back to our vehicle to wait again for a parking spot, but only for a few minutes because the group was getting louder in their taunts to us.
At this point I went to the office to speak with the female employee, Kathy, about concerns for our safety and the lack of security. I was told that the group outside had already been a problem the night before our arrival, that we could park on the dark, public street behind the motel, and that a security guard would be on duty within 30 minutes. Her suggestion of public parking was unacceptable to us, so I was again back in our vehicle to wait for a parking spot, where we started hearing people in the group making comments about knowing what vehicle we drove and the location of our rooms. I went back to the office again, and while speaking to the female employee, the security guard, Tim, arrived. He tried calling those guests' rooms but no one answered, so he did go outside to see the problem. He came back into the office and I was told again that there had been a problem with the group the night before. He said that they were having a problem determining which people were actually guests of the hotel, and that he had no authority over the ones who weren't guests.
Since it was getting late, nearly 10:30 pm, I stated that we were starting to greatly fear our safety and were prepared to check out to find another motel. The female employee called the police, and they arrived shortly. They told the group that non-guests needed to leave, and that they had to break up the parking lot party. This group of approximately two dozen all went to stand outside two rooms on the second floor, continuing to drink and play loud music.
Since we still had not found a place to park our vehicle, the female employee told us to park in the driveway right outside of the office door, meaning that we now had to carry our luggage all the way around the building to our rooms.
During this time, the security guard went to speak with the group on the second floor balcony and we went to my mother's room with her luggage. The security guard came to her room to speak with us, and while there a person from the group confronted us about our complaints. As the discussion got heated, I told the other guest that if we had any more problems with them, we would call the police directly. The guest told me he would lie to the police, tell them I had threatened to "rape" him, and the security guard would confirm his story. I asked the guard if he would really lie for the other guest, and was told that he was not employed by the hotel, and that he had no affiliation with the hotel whatsoever. I just shut the door on the two of them, knowing that we were on our own for our stay. They continued the conversation outside of my mother's room for 5-10 minutes, and once we were sure they had moved on, we went to our room to try to sleep.
In the morning, I went to the office to speak with an employee about the names of the staff from the previous night. I spoke with Sharon, who I believe was a manager. At this point, let me stress that Sharon is a true asset to La Quinta. She was very concerned about my recount of our stay, apologized profusely and insisted that there would be no charge to us for our experience. She made me feel like I would consider staying at La Quinta again, but it will never be this location.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank rjburd

Travelers are raving about these Galveston hotels

Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

My wife and I stayed for 5 nights and the service was great. Quality of rooms were great and nothing bad about this place. The staff was friendly and the view was great. There is not much else to say except this place is recommended as long as you have something to do and you are not just spending time at the hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Alpine, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We checked in the night before pur cruise. Front Lobby was nice, check-in was speedy. Our room was on the 2nd floor with a view of the Ocean, if we walked outside. The hotel is old, but was clean and had been updated. The free breakfast was good, little crowded, but probably a poplur time to eat.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple