“LumpyBeds” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach

You added Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5002 Seawall Blvd, Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77551   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #18 of 49 Hotels in Galveston
Beaumont, TX
“LumpyBeds”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2007

Stayed for a conference. In a room with 2 queen beds. On bed was very l lumpy. I have never had lumpy bed before. For a resort, no hot tub, asked attendant, said it was by pool, but did not exist. HA Very disappointing.

Stayed May 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2007

As I just read in another review that I think stated it well...there was zero effort here amongst staff to react to complaints. Some of the things that I encountered on our stay...

1) The first day here, I called the front desk to ask for housekeeping to come to our room while we were both out for the day. 6 hours later I returned to the room, and no housekeeping had ever showed. I called the front desk, asked for someone to come up. An hour later and ANOTHER call to the front desk finally brought housekeeping to the room.3 calls and 7 hours seems ridicoulus.

2) My room key was de-magnitized the first day, when I took the key to the front desk no id was taken from me (scary thought). Then my husbands key didnt work when he got home- next day...SAME THING. This happened a total of 4 times during our stay of three days. It turns out that every time they were giving us a "new" key- not a copy of the old one. So at any given time only one of our keys ever worked.

3) The soda machine on our floor didnt work, I went to another floor, it took my money and didnt give me soda. Went to another machine and the soda came out hot! Took me 4 floors before I could find a working machine. During this time I saw an employee who said they'd known about the machine problems, and that "someone ought to put a sign up".

4) I called the hotel restaraunt to order lunch that I was going to pick up, and take out. They charged me a 17% gratutity charge becuase..."you called from your room."

5) The comforter on our bed had a brown stain on it from whoever was in our room before, it clearly hadnt been washed. I called and asked for a new one.

Overall- there is not enough staff to take care of patrons. Case and point, I spent a half hour on Thursday trying to call the front desk or guest relations.....all calls went to answering service! And we came in the off season, good luck in the height of summer. Also worth mentioning, very small pool, 1/3 of it is taken up with a baby waiting pool that is a foot deep. It's also not heated, so very very cold if you plan to swim when it's not the height of summer yet.

One bright spot- we asked for a late checkout, and they were helpful in giving us that. But in truth, this branch really lets the Holiday Inn brand down. I would pay more to stay at a nearby hotel instead of this one next time.

• Liked — near the beach
  • Disliked — the lack of cleanliness and receptive staff.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Middle Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2007

Holiday Inn Galveston on the Beach proved to be a very good deal for those of us waiting to depart on a cruise from Galveston. The hotel was clean, the staff friendly and knowledgeable, and all the rooms have a good view of the ocean.
The best part of the services offered was the free shuttle service to local restaurants and to and from the cruise port. The free parking during our cruise was a great money saver. The drivers were friendly and drove carefully.
I personally would stay at this establishment if I was in the Galveston area.

• Liked — Free Shuttle Service
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Kansas City
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2006

I was concerned about this hotell after reading other reviews, but I decided to go with it after hearing about all the new renovations. I was a little disappointed with the place considering the amount of money the rooms cost. For starters, the rooms (particularly the bedspreads) and the hallways smell strongly of body odor and mold. In addition, the rooms are not that great. There towel hooks missing from the bathrooms and some of the fixtures were rusty. The place had a general air of neglect. The bathroom sink stopper tended to get stuck, and our room door tended not to latch properly. We found our room door open on more than once occasion, and at first we thought someone had been inside. Upon investigation, we saw that the lock did not always work properly. On a positive note, the location was nice and the view from the balcony was great. The breakfast buffet was very good, and the pool was nice. (It would have been better if they had a hot tub or sauna). The staff were all nice, and the stay was tolerable.

• Liked — The location across from the beach.
  • Disliked — The general air of neglect in the room.
  • Tips/Secrets — Hit the beach early and make use of the balcony.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Oklahoma City
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2006

JULY 19 & 20th 2006 MUST READ LONG BUT INFORMATIVE, FROM AN AVG OKLAHOMA MOM OF 3

We booked an executive suite double "Queen" beds with fridge/microwave and balcony w/ ocean view.

(Galveston= good stuff to do but water smelly & too much seaweed at every wave, it scared the pee-waddle out of 3 yr old who was convinced it was out to get him and wouldn't step foot in. Is usually last one out of pool!!)

I loved the pix on their website, great photographer on 1st day open I guess. Lobby smelled like Cig Smoke and was dingy, YUCK!! Parking non-existant Fri night due to club at hotel. Don't feel good about NEW suburban a block away! Enter room from open air hallway (IE - HOT, MUGGY) Elevators are too, no fresh air!! I had previously booked Casa Del Mar down the street and wasn't sure about comfort and stuff since I'd never heard of them but they look more attractive on the outside to me in person, didn't get to go see a room maybe I'll follow up on that. Well our beds at Holiday Inn On the Beach are sorry (hard & can feel springs) but pillows fluffy. Beds also more like "Full" and yes there is a difference. 2nd night got a roll-a-way for the toddler since he had to sleep between mom and dad. He didn't sleep well and neither did we. Anyway room is tiny tiny for an "Executive". We got the WALMART EMPLOYEE discount Thrs nt $169, Fri nt $206 and not worth it. I would have paid $79 and not complained. Balcony @ 2ft deep 6ft wide 2 plastic dollar store chairs, but good to dry swim suits on. THE BEST THING ABOUT ROOM IS THE FREE WI-FI I'M USING TO WRITE THIS SORRY REVIEW, HA! HA!.

- Beth M. Oklahoma City

• Liked — FREE WI FI TO COMPLAIN BY AND BOOK DIFF HOTEL WITH
  • Disliked — QUALITY/SIZE OF ROOM FOR MONEY, BEACH OR NO BEACH
  • Tips/Secrets — BOOK ONLY IF YOU DON'T HAVE A CHOICE ELSEWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2006

We prepaid a week for a lower price - big mistake.

The entire staff at Holiday Inn by the Beach seemed overwhelmed and undermanned, and there seemed to be zero urgency to correct problems.

The phone was inoperative.

The internet was inoperative.

The restaurant was understaffed and featured really long waits.

Repeated attempts to rectify the above were only met with stares of silence and "Uh, I'm sorry...." We did in fact get someone to some to the room to address the phone, however he left with the phone, leaving our door open for the day. Fortunately nothing was taken.

In addition to the service woes, the pool is very small, but there's really not much that can be done about that, so thre it is.

Two days into our stay, we gave up and transferred to one of Tillman F's other hotels on the seawall - the Hilton. At least there everything worked.

• Stayed July 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2006

I stayed 3 days the weekend before July 4, 2006 with a friend and 1 child each. On the positive side, they have a nice lobby and a business center with internet access as well as free internet access in the room. The sad part is that the room was so uninviting, we didn't want to stay in it long enough to surf the internet or even watch tv.

Again on the positive side the room was clean, but the furniture was old, there was a musty smell and the wall paper needed replacing. The room was average sized with a marble vanity/dry bar, table and 2 chairs and balcony with 2 chairs. If only it weren't so old and decrepit looking. Oh yeah, then there was the water being turned off for a few hours. But I guess that could happen anywhere. Oh, the pool was nice for children, but not too many as it was small, but easy for adults to sit and have a good view and a drink, if the service was good, which it wasn't.

Positively speaking, as I like to do, the motel was in a good location with the beach across the street and the choice of restaurants, Rainforest Cafe, Landry's, IHOP within walking distance, but I expected more from a Holiday Inn as well as from the Fertita's who own the whole resort complex with San Luis and Landry's right next door.

Would I stay there again, positively not, unless they did a major, major renovation.

• Stayed July 2006

Been to Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach? Share your experiences!