“Very impressed, would definitely stay here again.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5002 Seawall Blvd, Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77551   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #18 of 49 hotels in Galveston
Oregon
“Very impressed, would definitely stay here again.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2009

everything about our 5 night stay including the one meal we ate in the hotel restaurant was very good to excellent. There were some minor renovations going on in some conference rooms, but this was shielded very well from the guests.

All the rooms have small balconies that overlook the beach and our rooms were very up to date and nice, the housekeeping each day was flawless and transparent to us.

Nicely done!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business

463 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2009

Room smelled like old storage, could not get room serv. due to "Not Enough Help", several broken light fixtures and burnt out lights in rear,felt unsafe due to lack of key controlled access to building, lounge smokey, very unsafe to cross road to go to beach. Have stayed at Sunspree location in Galveston and have never encountered such issues. Really felt uncomfortable that neighbor could get onto my balcony from theirs.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2009

I was traveling with my 2 girls 12 and 7 and my sister and her daughter 7 also, we checked in early the staff were very accomdating at that point. When we went to use the restroom the lock on one of the stalls was broken and stayed that way for 4 days even after we brought it to the attention of the staff the first day, then we noticed the back door were everyone from staff to customers can just walk in , no electronic key lock nothing, this door leads right into the hotel were anyone can just walk in!When brought to the attention of staff no one seemed to be concerned that as a woman traveling with children I shouldn't be concerned even after there had been alot more homeless people do to the hurricane. Iwas not impressed with their security building or the response at all I would stay at the other Holiday Inn down the road!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2009

We arrived on February 13th for Mardi Gras weekend in Galveston from Toronto, Canada. When we arrived at 8:00 pm (arranged late check in) the Holiday Inn at 5002 Seawall Blvd sheepishly told myself, my son and my mother that even though we had confirmed our room the night before that they had record of us and our reservation but did not have a room for us.
I had read previous January reviews for this hotel and others had said the same thing and that they were told they were being upgraded to the San Luis Resort next door but were given a room over looking the parking lot. The manager started to say exactly that to me that they would upgrade me to the San Luis Resort next door.
I told the Manager about these reviews on line and said if you plan on upgrading me somewhere else I want an Ocean Veiw just as I had booked with the Holiday Inn. After alot of them whispering (they knew I was angry) they upgrade us to the Hilton two doors down at the same rate with an ocean view (no balcony). When we arrived at the Hilton it was a very nice stay and we did get what we demanded. Other wise I think we may have been viewing the parking lot. Make sure if this happens to you that you let them know their strategy.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Conroe, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2009

Around10pm we started hearing very loud music, I contacted the front desk, they stated music was coming from "their bar" and that know one else had complained. She also stated they would be playing until 1:30am, and she'd let them know that we had complained...music continued and even got louder! We were in touch with other guests who were also very upset about noise and made several calls to the front desk. I would not stay their again.....ever!

• Liked — room service; breakfast
  • Disliked — loud band played until 1:30am in bar, several people smoking on balconies and elevators, no washcloths!
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2008

While most of the rooms look like they have pretty good views, try and request floor 3 or higher when you reserve. We booked only about a week in advance, and were initially given a first floor room, which had no balcony and had windows right on the noisy pool. Front desk tried to tell us we had a balcony, since we had a door out to the pool area, but there was no table or chairs, and absolutely no privacy. We were given another room, which they said was the only other one in the hotel that night, and it was on the second floor right behind the front office building. It had a balcony, but looked over the air conditioners for the building, and was very noisy. No ocean view at all.

The room itself was fairly nice. It was very clean, and had an empty fridge (not a minibar) which was a nice touch. Beds were comfortable. We put a breakfast order on the door-hanger thing they give you, and while it was gone in the morning, no breakfast ever came. A call to the room service area and they said they never got the order. They took my order, and about 20 minutes later we got it...and inconvenience, but the food was good and reasonably priced (for room service).

As far as the beach goes, the hotel's location is pretty good right on Seawall Blvd. You do have to cross the street to get to the beach, and there are no crosswalks anywhere near the hotel, so be prepared to dart through traffic to get to the beach. This isn't too bad, but might not be so fun if you have small kids.

Overall, I think this would be a decent hotel if you were on one of the higher levels, but be aware there are some really bad rooms in this hotel.

• Liked — Decent rooms, pricing decent but not great
  • Disliked — Wound up in a bad room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Austin, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2008

We are a family of five who have been going to Galveston for the last few years. We originally were booked at the Hilton for the week of 7/21, but due to the threat of hurricane had to postpone our trip a week. When booking at the last minute we couldn't find a good rate anywhere but the Holiday Inn Resort on the Beach. After reading reviews here and other sites, I was concerned. I was sooooooooo pleasantly surprised! We had requested two connecting room (one king and one double), but I wasn't holding out hope we would actually get them connecting. Not only did they have them, but they were on the end (quiet) of the third floor (nice view). The rooms were not on one of the remodeled floors (I think just 7 and 8 are remodeled), but the furnishings were not worn. The comforters were clean and not worn. I really am a nut about cleanliness, and I honestly couldn't find one thing wrong. The pool area was great. There is a shaded arbor nearest to the road. Pool towels were actually brand new (not even laundered yet - could tell by the tags). They seemed to be on a customer service "kick". The same manager was there all four days - walking through the pool area (making sure things were picked up), handling issues - seemed very professional. I will say that by the time we left on Friday, things were getting a little crazier (parking full, people everywhere, elevator speed issues), but it has been our experience that is the case at any of the hotels on the Seawall during weekends in the summer. The location was great - all rooms face the water and have balconies. Overall, it was a great experience!!!!

• Liked — Location, view, cleanliness
  • Disliked — housekeeping a little slow
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach? Share your experiences!