“great place for family vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach

You added Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5002 Seawall Blvd, Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77551   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #17 of 49 Hotels in Galveston
queen city tx
“great place for family vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2008

clean. towels thick. beds comfortable. ocen view.safe. wonderful pool and bar area.no bugs. very helpful and nice staff. only bad points were housekeeping only spoke spanish and pool closed at 10pm even when full of guest. will stay here every trip to galveston

• Liked — view
  • Disliked — busy hwy to cross to beach
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2008

2008-4th of July Weekend- We are a family on a budget; thus, we decided to spend the holiday weekend at an affordable, family friendly hotel. However, I extremely disappointed in this property. Specifically, the roaches in the bathroom. For the price of this hotel I AM DISGUSTED!!!! The staff is rude and the kids eat free restaurant has very poor customer service. The only positive of the whole stay was the beach view.

• Liked — beach view
  • Disliked — roaches in the bathroom
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Richmond, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2008

Stayed here 04/25/08 through 04/28/08. While the rates were a little high, I stayed here because they had a free shuttle to the port and within a six-mile radius, and free parking for cruise guests which all-in-all, ended up saving me money. Rain Forest Café has a shuttle every night that comes to the hotel and takes you to and from their restaurant which my grandson just loves (three nights in a row.) The room was clean and the bathroom was sufficient with towels although their amenities were on the cheap side so definitely take your own. We ate at the restaurant a couple of times and I found it nothing extraordinarily. One morning I waited 45 minutes for my low-carb omelet before finally asking about it to find that the waitress failed to turn it in. (Most people ate off the buffet.) The omelet was rubbery, but considering it was free because of my wait, I felt I couldn’t complain. The shuttle bus driver, Debbie, was absolutely wonderful. She took us to the movie theater on a rainy day and was very pleasant. Unfortunately, when we went to use the shuttle the following day, the front desk informed us that a cruise was leaving and they would be booked all day. They did offer us a cab call though. After a day on the Strand we returned to the hotel where the front desk kindly called Rain Forest Café to tell them we were in need of a ride for dinner. There is a lounge at the hotel that appeared to be busy, but I never entered (had my grandson.) There was live entertainment and while we were on the ground floor close to the bar, I never heard any noise in our room. I would probably stay here again.

• Liked — Free shuttle service and parking for cruise guests
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Houston, TX 77005
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2008

Staff is friendly, maybe have been admonished regarding previous reviews. Stay above 3rd floor or enjoy the view of rooftop ac units. Not noisy, but pool area is right below. Room had musty odor which disappeared after first maid visit.

Stayed February 2008
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2008

After research, we chose the Holiday Inn Galveston - On the Beach for the night before our cruise on Dec 29. The price was
reasonable and included free parking and shuttle for the
cruise. The Holiday Inn desk clerk was helpful and advised
us to take the early shuttle to the ship. He was
correct and we were able to board the ship with no wait.
After the cruise, we called and there was a shuttle
waiting for us when we arrived at the curb. We were
taken directly to our car.

The hotel was clean and the room was nice - it faced
the ocean, which was an added bonus. I believe all of
the rooms face the ocean, however the view is best
above the 3rd or 4th level. We were on the 4th floor.

Stayed December 2007
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2007

I stayed here one night for a training class in Galveston. That was more than enough...

Checking appeared to go smoothly as I got me key quickly and was directed to my room. Unfortunately, the room was occupied, but the key worked! If not for the guy having the chain on the door, who knows what I would have walked into. I went back down to get another room and the guy at front desk apologized, and put me on the executive floor (top floor). Strangely enough, there was no "shock" at the situation. Maybe the guy in the room called down, but I sort of expected a "this never happens" type of reaction...maybe it "does" happen.

Contrary to other reviews posted here, my room was very quiet (as far as traffic and people noise) Maybe the top floor has different clientelle or it was just empty, but I didn't have any problems with people noise. You may notice I say people noise...I'll get to that later.

Room had a dated yet remodeled feel. There was fresh paint on the walls, but the ceiling had that 30 year old cottage cheese look. Also, you could tell several things had been moved from the walls and plastered over and painted (probably should put pictures over those spots). View of the Gulf was excellent.

A bit musty, but typical I guess for an old hotel on the coast. AC worked great. Didn't use the pool but it didn't look that inviting.

Anyway, around 3AM I woke to a faint whistling sound. Very faint, so I thought I was dreaming and I guess went back to sleep. However, this gradually got louder and louder. Around 5AM, I though it was an alarm, like one of those slowing increasing ocean alarms on your clock radio (I was still groggy so I thought it was part of the wakeup call...no I hadn't been drinking...)

Finally, around 5:30AM, I got up to investigate. Took me a few minutes to track it down, and it coming from the door. I opened the door, and sound went away, closed the door, it was back. I guess the wind was blowing in just the right way to pass through a small crack somewhere. Oh, the hallway corridor was outside...

No point for me to tell management, I was outta there after a pack and shower (plenty of hot water BTW). I don't know if I would have lasted another night with that whistling sound...

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Magical Whistling Door
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2007

This is the worst Holiday Inn I have ever stayed in. The room was average, the ac did not work and the staff was uncaring and very condesending. One of our party had her purse stolen while at the hotel bar. The place states it has 24 hour security. No security was present until after the Galveston PD had arrived. The manager implied it was stupid to have a purse there. There was no attempt to compensate or adjust. We also inquired about taking a shuttle to the Strand. We were informed that they did not run during special events....when else would you need them? We were also charged high rates even though it was the off- season. Do yourself a favor, book somewhere else other than this dump.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Condesending attitude
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach? Share your experiences!