“Pleasantly Surprised” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach

You added Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5002 Seawall Blvd, Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77551   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #20 of 49 Hotels in Galveston
“Pleasantly Surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

My husband & I are celebrating our 40th Anniversary. We've stayed in many places in Galveston but never here. Didn't know exactly what to expect but we were pleasantly surprised. Not as fancy as their sister property The San Luis but absolutely we are happy to be here.
Had a quick check in. When they learned it was our anniversary, they gave us a coupon for a free breakfast buffet our 1st morning at their restaurant The Jetty. It was ver good. They also gave us coupons for 3 local restaurants that are part of The Landry's chain. We went out to eat dinner on our 1st night and came back to a beautiful tray in our room of cut fruit, 3 kinds of cubed cheese and a chilled bottle of champagne. So pleasantly surprised!
Our room is very nice.. We have a fantastic view of the Gulf of Mexico from our private balcony. We also had a great nights sleep on a very comfy bed! Easy access to beach across from the hotel.
This seems to be an older hotel, but remodeled very nicely. It does have outdoor access to your room but it really was not a problem at all.
Please be aware you do need to request a room on floors 6-8 for a great gulf view. Lower might have no view even though every room has a balcony and faces the gulf. Very pleasant pool area with separate children's pool area. No Spa. Our room overlooks pool. Nice & Pretty~
Every employee we pass has greeted us with a smile.
So far, we have no complaint.
A/C works great too.

Room Tip: Ask for a room floor 5 and up. Better still 6 & up. Total of 8 floors.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Steve K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are so glad that you decided to spend your Anniversary with us. I am also thrilled that our team delivered in providing you with a memorable experience. We thank your for your business and we hope that you choose to stay with us again very soon!

Steve Kalbaugh, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Houston, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Really love this place. The bar and management are great. I have been to this location several times and always had a great time at the bar and hotel. Would recommend this place to everyone. . I always like a hotel that has an in house restaurant and this one has also improved.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thqank you for your review and your feedback. We are so glad that you enjoyed our stay as well as our Jetty Restaurant and BJiggers Bar. We thank you for your business and look forward to your next visit with us!

Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We blocked out 10 rooms on the last weekend of September, 2013 for a family reunion. The hotel offered us the use of the Sandpiper hospitality suite adjacent to the swimming pool at no charge, which we gladly accepted. The hospitality suite was truly the key to a successful reunion since we don't structure things and folks come and go all weekend. This hotel benefits from being the sister property to the luxurious San Luis Resort next door. The level of service here was far above what you would expect at this price range on the beach in Galveston. Staff was highly professional and unfailingly accommodating. I did not eat in the on site restaurant except for breakfast so cannot comment on food quality. We always ate elsewhere during our stay and there is no shortage of choices in Galveston of course. I will review two of them in their own review. This hotel has the same maintenance headaches as any hotel exposed to the salt spray from the ocean. It is not brand new and they had just finished a long summer season. Everything worked well and hot water was plentiful and very high pressure.The property shows lots of honest wear but it is not unclean or run down. Just not fresh and sparkling at the end of their season, as you would expect. Wonderful staff.

Room Tip: All the same.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Steve K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Thank you for your review and your feedback. We are so glad that your Family Reunion was a success and that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your business and we hope that you can return to Galveston very soon!

Houston, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

We stayed here during the early summer period and it has improved. It's not that it was bad before, but it seems that everything is a bit different?? Everything was cleaner, the staff nicer, etc.
I always like a hotel that has an in house restaurant and this one has also improved. It looks like they have discontinued the "buffet" breakfast and gone back to menu.. which I like. The waitstaff was great and attentive.
The front desk staff were a lot nicer than before, although we were here during 'rush' time last time and I understand the 'crazy' season and the staff was overwhelmed and not having their best time. This time, the staff were friendly, efficient and totally service orientated.
The total experience was different this time, everyone(from the front desk, cleaning staff and Maintenance personnel) took the time to ask if we needed anything, and it didn't seem 'forced'. It's always the "little' gestures that makes a difference in service..
I highly recommend this Holiday Inn.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Steve K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Thank you for your review and feedback. I am glad that you had a great experience in your most recent stay. We are glad that the hotel was clean and the service was exceptional. The summer season is crazy and I do apologize that our service was not quite the same during your previous stay. We have made efforts to make additional improvements in our product and service and I am so glad that you noticed it! Thank you for your business and we hope that you can return for a visit soon yet again.

Dripping Springs, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Our quick trip to Houston ended in a wonderful experience in Galveston at this hotel. The balcony view was beautiful, the room was quiet, the beds comfortable and the front office was very helpful. What more could you ask.

Room Tip: 5th Floor has an excellent view!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. We are so glad that you had a perfect stay with us. Our Gulf View Balcony rooms have a fantastic view. Thank you for your business and we hope that you can visit us again in Galveston soon!

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

First of all I want to thank this resort and the Island of Galveston for making us Pittsburghers feel so welcome! When I planned this trip everyone asked me why were we going to Galveston and when we were in Galveston eveyone seemed amazed we chose to come there! THe island is so relaxed and there is southern hospitality galore!! We made a great choice in this hotel and Galveston! The hotel is very clean and updated. Staff all looks you in the eye and greets you with a hello and a smile. Nice!! Ed at the concierge- shuttle desk is so nice!! Remembered us and asked us how our vacation was and seemed happy to take us anywhere we wanted to go. He drove us to the Strand for some shopping on our last evening and gave us tips where was a good place to shop and have a drink! What a nice guy:). Bobby and I believe his name was Rubin fixed our hot water shower control in a timely manor after we called. We had bar service from Nick, Jose, Luis and Stacy in the bar. They were all pretty good. The entertainment in the club was nice. A bit late for us because we usually go to bed around ten but for the young crowd Im sure thats when the party gets started for them. We did watch 3 bands and didnt much care for the video dj, I asked him to play a few songs, Kenny Chesney , Jack Johnson, Zac Brown etc.. Come on we are at the beach! He played 70's hard rock videos. He said he would if I bought him a shot. Really?? I did, and he played only two songs and then back to the crap! He was very cockey. Yuck!! They have a nice happy hour here and my husband enjoyed that!! The happy hour appitizers were good, you get half a portion so if you are hungry get two! I had a hamburger one day for lunch and it was good! The bar area has alot of locals and if we lived there I think we would hang out there as well!! As usual I like to start with the positive, here was the only thing I didnt like. They started maintance on ground issues while we were there. I know it was after Labor Day and stuff always needs fixed(I own a house) but the whole pool tile and grout thing was anoying. I think they could of waited till maybe October to do this. There was still alot of people in the hotel and maybe wait untill it really got slow? The pool had all kinds of debris in it. Yuck, I have a pool and I keep it pristine. This pool is not that:(. There was caution tape everywhere and we felt like we were in a crime scene. As I said I do understand maintance but I wish it wasent done while we were there. I do want to say that Ed offered for us to go to a sister property, not the San Lois because HI guests cant use that pool but the other hotel. We probably should of done that back we were relaxed and in the mellow island mood so we didnt want to move. Tough , ha! A few hotel staff did ask how we were and offered water to us. I know they knew we all werent to happy about the repairs but they needed to be done. So, that said we hope to be back someday and we would absolutely stay here again!! Nice job ya all!! So, if I get asked again why Galveston? Why not Galveston?? We LOVED IT!!! Thanks again!

Room Tip: WE had a room on the 8th floor. I think higher up has better views!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and your comments. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I do apologize that we were completing the final touches to our newly installed pool deck which was the reason for the caution tape and debris at the pool. The deck is now complete and the pool is clean and pristine! We are happy to hear that we have a friendly staff and that your room was cleaned and you enjoyed our restaurant and bar. I will discuss with the DJ about his attitude as he is a vendor that we hire. Thank you for your business and we hope to see you in Galveston again soon!

Mesquite, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

We hand a family reunion and it couldn't have been better. Our rooms on the 6th floor were great. We drank coffee on the balcony and watch the sunrise. Absolutely awesome. We had dinner in the dining room and the seafood was great. The children ate free which was a real blessing. The rooms were clean and comfortable. We walked across the street to the beach several times. We were also impressed with Wings next door. It's not food, it's beach items...go figure. We bought a lot of neat things there for all of us. The location is walking distance to The Rain Forest Cafe, Subway, Academy, IHop and so much more.

We had a problem with the TV. It had sound but no picture. I called the front desk and they sent someone within minutes. They put a new chip in it and it worked perfectly. Everyone was very friendly and helpful.

It is very "Kid" friendly. They showed a children's movie Friday night by the pool and the little ones all had popsicles. No one wanted to leave when the movie was over. They also have special things for kids to do on the weekends. They have snow cones, smores, build things, decorate cookies, and much more. We will definitely be back.

By the way, before I got this review finished, we made reservations again because we are going on a cruise and staying there again. Parking is also free while you go on a cruise and the area is patrolled so our vehicle is safe. We love the Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach!

Room Tip: Try to get higher than the 5th floor. Great view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. We are so pleased that your family enjoyed your reunion at our hotel. I am glad to hear that our hotel product and service exceeded your expectations. Our hotel is a family hotels with numerous kid's activities and we are a great hotel to stay at before and after a cruise! We are so glad that you will be returning to visit us for your cruise!

Steve Kalbaugh, General Manager

Been to Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach? Share your experiences!