“Pleasantly surprised” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Commodore on the Beach

Save Saved
You added Commodore on the Beach to your Saves list
Commodore on the Beach
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   37th and Seawall Blvd, Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77552-3830   |
Ranked #37 of 49 Hotels in Galveston
Denton, Texas
“Pleasantly surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2009

I don't know what some of the other reviewers wanted for the price, but I thought the Commodore was fine. Of course I didn't go expecting the Hotel Galvez...and I didn't pay the $400 a night price for it either!

My friend and I have come to Galveston in late summer as an annual thing for several years now. We stayed in the Flagship before because it was the only hotel over the water. Now that it is standing unused, we had to look for another spot. We are NOT chi-chi women who run at the site of a bug or complain about every little thing. We are laid back, and don't spend lots of time in our hotel room.

After reading the reviews of pretty much all the reasonably priced (for my budget) hotels on Seawall, I was afraid to stay ANYWHERE in Galveston. Finally I chose the Commodore because it was across from an accessible area of the beach, had an ocean view in every room, had balconies and was in our price range. Plus it looked kind of cool and funky.

Our room was ready when we arrived, around 3:30, the woman at the front desk was efficient and business-like, friendly enough, and offered to have a porter help us with our bags, which we declined. We we told where to park, shown on a "map" where our room and the elevator was, instructed there is no smoking ANYWHERE at the hotel and given a form to sign saying if we smoked we'd be charged an extra $150 per night (ACK!) Bummer. But still, they were clear and up front about it.

When we asked for a refrigerator ($15 for our entire stay...not bad!), it was delivered within about 5-10 minutes. Awesome service!

We walked in to a clean, funky room with cute orange curtains and bright flamingo print bedspreads. Sheets and bedspreads were very clean (and I saw them removing bedspreads to wash in the mornings, which impressed me). Decent quality sheets. Standard hotel towels...just like you get at LaQuinta, Hotel 6, or any of the Quality Inn/Best American hotels. Nice, clear TV...all channels worked, as did the remote. There was a clock/radio/alarm, but we didn't use it. No ironing board, blow dryer or coffee maker, but really, who gives a **** - I'm on VACATION!

The room was quite cool, bordering on cold, when we arrived. Thermostat was on 70 and it felt it. Of course, it was mid-September, and temps ran between 75-90, so it wasn't as hard to cool the room. We did notice one night that it got a bit warmer. I thought maybe we'd frozen the system up, so turned off the cooling and turned just the fan on for a few hours, and it got better. Coincidence? yeah, probably. Still, we were comfortable all weekend long.

The elevator was old and kind of slow, but so what? It beat hauling my butt up four flights of stairs at the end of the day. I can see that it was probably pretty warm in the hotter months, but you can always take the stairs, as we did on the way down most of the time.

The food at the Dutch Kettle restaurant was simply, well-cooked and cheap. Definitely recommend it for breakfasts if you want more than continental or don't feel like getting up before 10.

Location was pretty darn good. Across from the beach, next door to Gaidos, near lots of good restaurants...and did I mention the beach?

So if you are looking for a clean, satisfactory room near the beach at a decent rate, this is the place. I especially recommend it to fans of the Flagship. Those people can hang!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Franklin, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2009

OUr room had the overwelming odor of Pee. We ask for housekeeping who said "We don't smell anything, we clean room nice for you just now". Wrong. there was mold in the bath room and tub. I realize that it was a family hotel but noone was paying any attention to the dozen kids outside all the rooms in the pool diving off the waterfall eating in the pool (bologna sandwich floated by) and just being down right irritating. Parking was first come first serve (not enough). The one elevator had obviously been though a hurricane and never serviced afterwards. It barely moved and it was nearly 100 degrees. There was a nice view of the Gulf.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
jennings
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2009

when i decided to go to galveston i heard from my sister to get this hotel. i didnt look at the reviews i learned my lesson. when we arrived in the room we noticed that the tv remote was gone and their was no clock in the room. as well it was hot. We called up for a nother remote when we got it, only select buttons would work like channel up and down and volume down. also it was hot. we had the air conditioner on fifty to cool the rm off still not. the next day i talked to management when i got back that after noon nothin has changed. one day they didnt leave no rags and only two towels and when i went to get some rags they said they were out. when i looked on the website it said it had a whirlpool when i arrived no whirlpool. the good things about the hotel had a great view of the beach. the rm was clean but they had a crack in the door that wouldnt seal. the staff was nice. and they had an a eight ft pool. As for alot of times i listen to my sister but not on hotels.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Houston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2009

I've never written a review for Tripadvisor, but felt stronly compelled to share my story.
After our pre-paid cash deposit, and verification of our reservation the week prior, when we arrived they said that our room was already given to someone else. The manager never ever said, "I'm sorry", nor tried to resolve our problem. He just said, "it's already given to someone else". He didn't know how to work the computer and basically was clueless and seems to care less of my family's predicament. When I wrote them a letter afterwards with a request for reconcilliation, they ignored the letter. The elevators were grinding, and the overall facility was run down. I rate this a C for cleanliness, and and F for customer service. go anywhere else.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2009

We were familiar with the Commodore on the Beach after driving past it countless times, so we knew what it looked like and what to expect. We also knew that it had a nice pool full of families with kids, and did not expect anything more.

The Commodore on the Beach allowed us to check in early - 11:00 a.m. I was very surprised since a lot of motels are real sticklers on the 3:00 p.m. check in. Our room was small with brick walls, a small table and two side chairs, a dresser, and a new flatscreen TV with basic cable. There was a small dressing area with a sink and mirror, and the bathroom (very small) with a tiny bathtub/shower. The tub was about half the size of a normal tub and would be OK for a child or baby, but adults would definitely need to use it as a shower. There were plenty of clean towels, hand towels and wash cloths. These were replaced daily with maid service.

Everything was clean. The carpet, while not brand new, was OK. There was a polyester bed spread and thin sheets, but I also expected this. This is not a luxury motel. It is a basic, clean beach motel for families on a budget. If you go knowing this, there will be no surprises. The swimming pool was clean and refreshing on a hot summer day. This is one of the better motel swimming pools on the seawall, IMO.

Breakfast is free in the morning with coffee, juices, milk, cereal, oatmeal and a few pastries and muffins. Bags of Famous Amos chocolate chip cookies were placed out in the afternoon.

I booked on the internet and paid $109 per night, which with taxes comes out around $125 per night. All in all we enjoyed our short stay, and will return again when we are in town for a few days.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
louisiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2009

It is a shame to say, but I read all the reveiws and was hesitate to get a room for the weekend get away for me and hubby, because most of the reviews, didnt really say alot of " good " about the place. So to justify in my mind that all will be okay, I said, well due to the hurricane Ike, surely they had to like update this place some, as most hotels had damage....... WRONG ! I am not a person, that will just rat somebody out, it is just a matter of weighing things out.
I will have to say the TV was a nice flat screen and very clear. The linens were okay on the bed as far as hotel grade and they were clean. It was a great location, right across from the hotel, was the pathway to the beach, without drop off. They did have cereal and milk and various pastries of the morning and coffee. We rented their small fridge and made the comment to them that I didn't mind paying the extra $15.00 for the stay so long as the thing kept my stuff nice and cold-- this person said, don't worry, fridge works and is nice and cold and believe me--- it was very cold, so that was great ! Now, I must admit Nobody would want to steal their towels, or wash cloths as these items were very very rough. I found they worked out real nice it you wanted to use them for exfoliating your skin. ( Luckily, I bought our towels from home with me ). The air conditioning had a hard time keeping up and needed upgrading. The balconies were dirty with bird dropings. The rooms in general were clean, but very dated, like 60 - 70s. I really felt that the rates were horrible for what you get. If they would rip up that outdated carpet and redo that flooring... The bathroom was really bad, but however functional and clean. The elevator was dirty and really stunk, like bad. After the first time, we just used the stairs. The ocean view was wonderful although we had to keep the drapes closed 95% of the time as to try to keep the room cool enough to sleep comfortable at night. ( my husband sweated and stayed hot and just could not sleep ). So by doing that the second day, helped, but that is ridiculous, you also pay that money out to get that wonderful ocean view and can't use it.... so like I said, you have to weigh it out.
Would I stay there again ? no.. probably not.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2009

My husband was down on a business trip to work on another hotel in the area,upon arriving for a 4 day visit he was told to remove all belongings from vehicle they will be stolen.Well, they were stolen from the room instead by a housekeeper!!!!!!Management say's nothing not even sorry or we will look into-he left to another hotel.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business

Been to Commodore on the Beach? Share your experiences!