“Happy with stay at the Commodore - Galveston, TX” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Commodore on the Beach

Save Saved
You added Commodore on the Beach to your Saves list
Commodore on the Beach
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   37th and Seawall Blvd, Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77552-3830   |
Ranked #36 of 49 hotels in Galveston
albuquerque, nm
“Happy with stay at the Commodore - Galveston, TX”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2009

I was reluctant to book at this hotel, due to the many negative reviews... However, it was a great hotel. I am very glad I did go with it! Clean rooms, new carpet,colorful bedding, sheets were fine-wondered after a review from another previous hotel guest on this site, view of beach was fantastic, just across the street from beach with easy access at crosswalk at corner of hotel, pool was clean, breakfast was fine -oatmeal, danish, muffins, cereal, coffee, juices, & milk was available 24 hours day, plus cookies from 3-10 pm. I had no problem with parking, plenty of spaces. Other reviews mentioned noise, the rooms have brick walls separating them, different from most hotels - sheetrock. I have heard alarms gom off in rooms next door in other hotels, not here - the brick walls were quiet! The balcony was just wonderful, spent some peaceful time out there. I highly reccommend this hotel to others!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

263 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Oak Lawn, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2009

We spent one night there before leaving on a cruise. Being that Hurricane Ivan did a real number on Galveston, It is hard to criticze but I will.
Commodore on the beach is old, The hurricane did prompt a new coat of paint, but the carpets were dirty. I was almost afraid to lay on the beds. The bed linens did not have the "clean smooth" feeling that Im have come to expect. The continental breakfast was okay. Staff seemed friendly enough, But I think if I was staying longer, I would have been looking for a nicer place. It is a one-star at best. Maybe on a good day it could get to two. Certainly wasnt the worse place I've stayed in. Wi-fi in room -- wrked fine.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2008

I had reserved 2 nights at the Commodore but we only stayed for one night. The room was so hot! The a/c is regulated and we put it down on 40 degrees and it would not go below 78. When you are out on the beach in 95 degree weather, when you come back to your room, you want to be cool! It was hot and everything in the room turned semi-wet and clammy. They have brick walls in the room and I guess they don't absorb the beach weather very well. I don't know but all of our stuff felt clammy. Our sliding glass window was filthy. I got some paper towels and water and cleaned it myself. You couldn't even see through it. There was standing water on our balcony, which was disgusting so we didn't even go out there. The pillows on the bed smelled like after shave, as if they had not been washed and the sheets smelled like B.O. No kidding. The hotel needs to be remodeled and repainted. It's old and gross. There are much better places in Galveston - Quality Inn, Holiday Inn, Comfort Inn, any place but this place. Don't waste your money!!!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Room too hot, stinky linens
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2008

I have stayed at the Commodore before. This will be my last time. The manager, Gary Druss, obviously does not keep an eye on the establishment. When arriving to check in, we had to wait an hour to check in. The older man who caims to be the oldest employee there told us to wait so we did. It wasn't that our room wasn't ready, but that they needed an embossing of my credit card. We did not find this out until Patricia came on at the desk. So we sat and waited like dummies. I asked Patricia where the handicapped parking spots were located because my aunt has a gimp leg. She replied " We have handicapped spaces but we are not going to ask those patrons to move for you." That was not what I asked her As if I would want another hadicapped person to move. That was our first experience with rudeness. The second day, our room was hot and I called to get a maintenence person to come up. When I called an African American employee told me rudely that they had people checking in and were too busy to help me. I replied that my daughter had a sunburn and we needed cold air. To my knowledge, no one came to look at it. I will say that the rooms were clean and that the cleaning staff were nice. The cleaning staff should be the ones at the front desk. The television only gets a few channels. Stay somewhere else! S. Houston, Henderson, Texas

• Liked — The rooms were clean
  • Disliked — People at desk were rude!
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
new orleans
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2008

Gross! Whatever you do, Please do not spend your money. This was so disgusting. When we pulled up and seen thoseprison blue doors I knew it was going to be awful!! The sheets and pillows were dirty i mean filthy. The pillows smelled like pure funk. Those awful brick walls!!! The bathroom was designed for an 8 yr old. YES it was that small. Those beds were ridiculo8us also! I dont know what was up with that mattress because it was on this crazy slant and I almost fell out!! We had drove for almost 6 hrs so i had to fall asleep because I was dead tired.. I WOKE UP AT 2 AM GAGGING! MY 2 YR OLD WOKE UP SCREAMING!(SHE NEVER DID THIS) SO THIS CAUSED MY MY HUSBAND AND SON TO WAKE UP. I asked for a crib in the room and they bought me this old dirtry playpen, I mean the dirt was BLACK!! WE ALL WERE UP AND I WAS ON THE NET AT 4 AM LOOKING UP ANOTHER HOTEL. AS SOON AS DAYLIGHT HIT WE WERE OUT OF THERE!!! DISGUSTING!!

• Stayed July 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dallas area
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2008

The Commodore on the Beach is one of those classic "you get what you pay for" kind of places. Galveston, TX has become very expensive in recent years since the cruise ships come in there so its a challenge to find an economical, clean little motel to just hang out on the beach for a few days. The Commodore is that kind of motel. It has a mom & pop feel to it. The front desk staff were older, friendly types and were very helpful. The pros: right across the street from the beach, walking distance to a couple of restaurants, economical, a balcony where you can chill out and just watch the ocean, great swimming pool, clean. The cons: the rooms are small, when we were there the local channels were not coming in on the cable, traffic noise on the Seawall until about 10:00, continental breakfast is lacking. I took my two daughters and grandaughter to Galveston to essentially hang out on the beach for a few days. We had a good time.

• Liked — location (across the street from the beach), balcony to watch the ocean
  • Disliked — small rooms
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
mesquite
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2008

We booked our vacation on line with Expedia and to say the least it was down hill from there. The hotel looked 30 years older when we arrived. And actually thought it might not be the right hotel since it looked much older. We stil check in so we could see the room and what a room it was. It had a 2 inch crack going down the balcony, a bathroom so small you couldn't believe it. The ceiling was literally falling down in places as well as the A/C was leaking down the vent. The room was 1/4 the size of the picture we seen on Expedia and in much worse shape!!!!!!! Expedia did nothing to help us rebook our reservations, as well as nothing to help us get out of the reservation at that dump!!!! So there for my husband was on the phone for over 4 hours with Expedia to see if they were going to help us out and no they left us........ We will not use them again ... and plan to tell everyone we know not to either. The experience was terrible because they are such a huge company and no one did a thing to help us re-book. Tracy Butler

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — nothing
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Commodore on the Beach? Share your experiences!