“Right place, right rate, right property...right on!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Silverleaf Seaside Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Galveston
Silverleaf Seaside Resort
Save Saved
You added Silverleaf Seaside Resort to your Saves list
19320 West San Luis Pass, Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77554   |
Ranked #24 of 49 Hotels in Galveston
Fort Worth, TX
“Right place, right rate, right property...right on!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

We are longtime and occasionally long-suffering Silverleaf owners who chose to use the week we had deposited with RCI at this Silverleaf property for a first stay. I am sorry that some other reviewers did not find their stay to be a 4-star experience as we did. SSR is an attractive, well-appointed, well-maintained and well-managed property that is at least the equal of any other Silverleaf property where we have stayed. The location is far enough from Galveston's Strand and Seawall to be free of crowds yet close to both and thus shopping, eatin out, attractions, etc. The best convenience/grocery store is the nearest one on West Beach to SSR in Jamaica Beach. A few minutes further back toward town is Walmart. The grounds are well-landscaped and well-kept. The resort offers covered outdoor conversation/gathering shelters ala Europe, shuffle board, putt-putt golf*, a nice albeit unshaded swimming pool, a club house with games, ping-pong, fitness center, gift shop, etc. and a business center**. The youthful office and grounds staff could hardly be friendlier, more helpful or more professional.

There are over 100 units in several attractive pastel-colored and white trimmed buildings of 4 floors and 12 units each. The 2-bedroom "lodge units" are 1,100 s.f. and the Presidential units exceed 1,300 s.f. Our unit was sparkling clean, well-equipped from pans to pillows and sheets to silverware. All appliances worked well as did all three TV's.

An easy, quick walk across the highway fronting SSR is a half-mile long beach that is groomed daily. There is a decent sized, well-paved parking area at the dunes crosswalk. There is not now and there has not been ANY oil spill residue on this or any other Galveston Beach. We saw flying fishes, porpoises, terns, cranes, pelicans, and even a small school of baby rays that flitted by underwater. The whole neighborhood is filled with high-end, multi-level beach homes.

If you are stuck up, SSR may well not suit you. If you are a member of the 99% looking for an affordable, enjoyable and entertaining stay at an attractive, clean, well-run and just plain nice getaway place...our entire family recommends SSR highly!

Yeah buts include:

*Several putt-putt putters.that were issued having bare metal shafts exposed inviting injury and advisory input to the staff changed nothing. The dyed blue put-put water feature is remindful of toilet disinfectant and/or Water World, take your pick.

**The "business center" is a work in progress where accessing their WIFI can be frustrating. Once you are connected, you may find yourself staring at a message that says the WIFI had to switch servers or some such. There is no WIFI in the housing units at all, so you get a gratis Gratitude lesson. Internet connectivity has not traditionally a strong part of Silverleaf's culture. I have been lectured by a 17-year old Silverleaf employ for even asking if WIFI was available. ;-) Sprint service on West Beach 13+ miles from downtown is inconsistent.

***Finally, all Silverleaf buildings, like most shoreside buildings on Galveston Island, is on "stilts" so it is 18 steps up the the first floor in the lodge units, 36 steps up to the second floor and 54 steps up to the third floor. There are no elevators or luggage lifts in the lodge units. The Presidental units do have elevators.

Room Tip: If you are at all handicapped, I suggest you try to get a first floor lodge unit or any room level i...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Spring, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

We use our RCI points to reserve a week at Silverleaf Seaside Resort as a home base as we toured privately owned homes open only the first two weekends of May, GHF's Historic Homes Tour. Silverleaf Seaside Resort is not in the city of Galveston but about 20 minutes south/west of town. The resort is not "plush" but well maintained and groomed.

We found our two-bedroom condo to be very clean and just about everything you would need for your stay . . . unless you like eating out. There is not much as far as restaurants close by and the gas and groceries are quite a bit higher in that area too. So if your in town get what you need there at Wal-Mart or Krogers before you head back to the condo. We used a couple of the many small but good quality BBQ grills available to cook on our first night. There are some great restaurants in town though.

The resort staff is extremely curtious and eager to make your stay pleasurable. No high pressure sales that we experienced. There are new condo's being built and the new ones already built towards the rear of the resort have elevators. If there was a downside to our stay it was a little difficult carrying the luggage and groceries up the stairs at the older units, there are no ground level condos. If you are familiar with the hurricane a few years back you know why!

There is a good size pool they keep clean and one of the best maintained putt-putt courses I've seen at a resort. The ocean is just across the road with plenty of open beach. If you like a more crowded beach there is plenty of opportunity to see or be seen on the Galveston beaches. Soon the new amunsement park pier will be open along the Galveston Seawall, crowds will be large.

Galveston will not have the most beautiful ocean water, but if you're a history buff Galveston is you island. We have been all along the Gulf Coast and Florida, Galveston history is second to none!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

We've owned this timeshare for several years now and have only stayed there 2 times (my last visit was Sept 2010). In all fairness, we do truly enjoy our stay here. This resort is about 20 minutes outside of Galveson, close to Jamaica Beach so I'd recommend you purchase or bring your groceries once you get to Galveston before you head to the resort. The 1st time we went, the beaches were not clean, there was seaweed everywhere so we couldn't swim. The 2nd time we went the weather was overcast but the beaches were clean and we were able to swim and enjoy our time there.

Pros: Beach is across the street (5 minute walk), outside of touristy town/less crowded, nice mini golf area, nice pool, staff is very pleasant, security on site, clean condos, nice area overall.

Cons: If you need groceries, you will probably have to drive 20 minutes to town and/or find a convenience store nearby to see if you can find what you need, skillets are stainless steel so the food sticks (I bring my own nonstick pans), beds were hard and not comfortable (I understand some of the mattresses have now been upgraded since the last time I went), you don't have your own grill but can use any available downstairs, not handicapped-friendly as there is no elevator only stairs to any floor including 1st floor.

My family and I really like this resort. We have always enjoyed our time here and I do recommend it.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Great staff, very attentive and helpful. The condo was clean and all supplies in good condition. The table and chairs on the patio could have used a wash down though and the pool is UN-heated. My girlfriend and I were scheduled for April 16 thru 20th but got there a day later than planned due to heavy rain in Houston and we reluctantly left late on the 19th. The weather was perfect and the condos were not full so we had a lot of privacy - very peaceful! All the amenities were above par. Yes the beach is across the street - but a 10-20 minute drive will take you to a number of good fishing and/or swimming spots as well as eateries and bars. We look forward to going again in May and are hoping for warmer weather so we can enjoy the pool more!

Room Tip: Get a room on the top floor if you want a view. I have a bad back so the first level was fine with...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Walkertown, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

Let me begin by saying the staff was absolutely wonderful. Unfortunately, the rest of the resort missed the mark. Beach access is much further than simply across the street which is how they market the property, and the beach is not maintained by property. Thus, beach was full of drift wood, trash, etc. No bicycles to sign out or rent which may have made commuting around easier, faster, and funner (especially with my two teenage daughters). There was no hot tub. We headed out one evening to the pool deck hoping to soak, only to find a foot deep kiddie tub where a hot tub should have been. I would not recommend this property.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

We had a blast, ate at the Spot and Tortugas, both were awsome (15-20 min drive). My only complaint was that when we were giving the tour. back ib Feb. we were told that the beach was kept cleaned by Silverleaf, we stayed this past wkend, Fri. Sat.& Sun. all three days the beach was filthy full of dead branches, trees and sea weed, we were very very disapointed. If the beach was half way cleaned I would had given it a 5 star. Other than that we had a blast, everyone was friendly and the room and the whole complex was wery clean. Over all thumbs up.

Room Tip: We had our room on the last floor, it was very quiet and the view was great.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Angleton, Texas, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

In an effort to be brief, I will make this as short as possible. This problem has been ongoing for 19-20 years mainly because there is no way I can get rid of this property. This last experience has proved to be the last time I endure the disrespect, civil rights violation, handicapped violation, on, and on. I was invited to Silverleaf resorts at to the Villages in Flint, Texas, as well as Galveston, Hill Country, Conroe plus others. As a presidential suite owner I was told that I would be accommodated at the Villages in Flint, Texas guaranteed the ADA facility, because my situation is a company wide notation on every computer they own. I was told that there may not be enough room at that time to have a presidential suite. However, I was promised an ADA Accommodation so that my family and I would have a “wonderful time”. Every computer within the Silverleaf complex indicates the severity of my handicap. Not only did they ignore the computer instructions to provide handicapped accessible facility at any time I was on their property. My son suggested videotaping with the phone the impossibly difficult negotiations I had to make with my wheelchair. I caught my hand on one of these videos the pain I had to endure because I caught my hand on a doorknob trying to enter my room:. I upgraded to the presidential suite because I had been promised once again a more accessible unit,. This promise said been going on for 20 years, and that is a long as this is been going on;. I have talked to everybody from the managers on site to the basic secretaries at corporate headquarters, especially Sharon _____, or that is who they say they were with|. The last 20 years has been a horror story for my entire family in very painful for me. If you talk and pass these videos and comments to others it will be of great help. You can view the video on YouTube, Facebook and others. I was shot in the head in Vietnam in 1966 and have been in a wheelchair ever since. One thing they will learn is that Marines will be nice until it is time to not be nice, (Not from the movie!). Why did I stay with them for that long? I always try to work my problems out in-house rather than a courtroom, but that will change this time because of their "solution", which was to have me pack up at midnight after a 250 mile drive and go to a hotel which was supposed to to have handicapped facilities ad I was so tired I slept in my wheelchair. When the Veterans groups I belong to see these videos, I suspect sales might drop a bit.

Thank you very much and see the videos,

Mike Read, USMC, (Ret), LCDC(Ret); & Family

Room Tip: Don't be fooled into buying anything from Silverleaf Resorts!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Silverleaf Seaside Resort? Share your experiences!