“Nice, but a bit pricy” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Suites Galveston

You added Comfort Suites Galveston to your Saves list
Comfort Suites Galveston
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3606 89th Street, Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77554   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #14 of 49 Hotels in Galveston
Oslo, Norway
“Nice, but a bit pricy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

Located on the middle of the sandbank outside the coastline, it is pleasant. We came on Memorial Day when the island was packed, and left the next day when kids were back home.

The Comfort Suites concept is upscale from most other Choice alternatives, but we found this hotel rather empty when we left, maybe because of the price USD 206, - which was higher than the previous 4 Comfort Suites we have visited the last month?

Traveling from Seattle, WA through SF, CA to Houston, TX we have paid between USD 59,- and 780, for a night's stay in that month, so we have a pretty good picture of the concept; "good value for money".

We did not swim in the sea, neither used the outdoor pool and jacuzzi, but fitness room had plenty of items. The only thing we missed was the remote to the TV, a water cooler and towels in the fitness room. There is a drinking fountain just outside the fitness room but the dispenser with paper was empty. Some like to wipe off sweat from the previous user in the fitness room. To do that you have to bring your own water bottle and violate the rules "on not removing towels from your room".

The room has even a safe, but the TV will be an antique in the near future. There is a balcony with a view over the Gulf, but the chairs were dirty, probably with salt from the waves breaking on the beach.

As there were few guests, the coffee pot had not been replenished since it was made around 5 o'clock and the coffee was not even lukewarm. A maintenance man started to clean the windows in the breakfast room while the two of us "were still in session". Hey man! What about the coffee pot!

Originally we chose another Choice hotel in the area, but reading a negative review on that hotel at tripadvisor, we switched in time.

This hotel showed a few blemishes like a loose bulb fixture in a lamp in the room. (Texas still has the "Death Penalty" it appears?).

The beach is about 150 years away, so you may take the car and park along the shore.

The owners should probably stay a night at Comfort Suites in Roswell, NM, a hotel that we found "better value for money". Was this a scrappy hotel? Definitely NO! It is nice, the reception is pleasant, the room was clean and we slept wonderfully, but we would not use the word; "Perfect".

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Spring, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

Me, my wife, and my 7 year old daughter stayed here. The place smelled some when I came in.. I cannot describe it. The price was not bad, and for Galveston, I did not have a problem with this. The problem I had was they had 2 towels, and we had 3 people. I went to the front desk, and the owner looked at me and asked "Why.. do you have more people in your your room than you listed? I was shocked!! I am in my 40s, I am a respectable person, like most people are. He saw my expression and backtracked.. and gave me a towel, without me answering. I told him we only had 2 towels.. but I had something else I wanted to say, but held my tongue. This was in the afternoon. Breakfast was included so I ate. I wake up before my family so I went and ate. I saw this same owner.. they were supplying the food. He was looking at everyone. Eyeballing everyone. I thought he was going to come up to someone and tell them... "that was your second helping, you do not get anymore" but he never did, (husband and wife) I know they are not native to America, and maybe things are different where they use to live, and I can appreciate this... but, I did not feel comfortable. They did have bacon and sausage, which another place I wrote a review about did not. So, I will give them credit here. For the price... it was average. I will not stay here again because of the way I was treated. Good people do not like to be judged. It is close to the Seawall, but there is no swimming here, you must go down a mile down the road.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Texas, Dallas area
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

My honey and I went for a quick getaway for two nights. Found the hotel online, and the price beat most others on the Seawall, which made me skeptical. But I checked the reviews here, and most were good so we went with it. Front desk staff were very friendly, and check in was easy. This Comfort Suites is like most others in the chain. It was very clean--no bugs, stray hairs or mold or other nastiness in the bathroom, and the floors in our room were clean. The bed (king) was very comfortable, and the air worked well (it was very muggy so the a/c was nice). We had a king room facing the gulf on the 3rd floor. Mini-frige, microwave, and a safe. Haven't seen safes in Comfort Suitesw before, so that was a nice touch. We woke early in the mornings and sat out watching the sunrise. I hope they don't build anything in front of the hotel and ruin the view! Like another reviewer said, the hotel is at the far west end of the Seawall, so there's not much as far as restaurants/bars/etc. within walking distance. There is a movie theater next to the hotel and a little burger/ice cream place a block up on the seawall. We always have our car so we just hop in and go. I can't comment on the breakfast--with so many wonderful restaurants on the island, that's what we do for meals. Housekeeping shorted us a few towels one day, but the front desk quickly replaced them. Just a general hint for all travelers--always pack a flashlight and batteries. While we were there the electricity went out and it was pitch black! No emergency lighting in the rooms but emergency lighting in the halls and stairs worked fine. Loss of power wasn't the hotel's fault, just one of those things. Didn't use the pool or hot tube or exercise room, but I heard and saw lots of people using them so they must have been good. Overall, this is a very good Comfort Suites--we will definitely be back. Glad we chose it.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2011

I just returned from a quick trip to Galveston.

After researching accomodations, I decided to stay at Comfort Suites. (Previous stays were at the Hotel Galvez.).

Comfort Suites (TX885) was *IDEAL*. The location is the 89th Street area - a short one block walk to Seawall Blvd. There is a movie theater and mini golf within a 3 minute walk. If you want access to the beach, you would need to travel either east or west for a sandy beach. I really liked the fact that the location is away from all the hustle and bustle / congestion of the east -middle section of Seawall.

The hotel is relatively new and very clean. The rooms were well cleaned and had fresh linens. Bathroom was very clean - no mildew or disgusting remnants. Ample bath/face towels. Facial & body soap; shampoo and lotion provided.

I had a king size bed which was comfortable. The kids used the pull out couch with a very thin mattress which was NOT comfortable. Boys are resilient so it wasn't an issue.
Mini fridge, microwave, iron and ironing board in the room. Television with local channels and some cable/specialty channels. (FOX News!!!)

Air conditioning worked great and kept the room cool. We had a room on the third floor overlooking the airport. It was very quiet but this is the off season - so may be noisy during summer.

Pool area was well maintained and the jacuzzi was nice. Open until 10 pm.

Continental breakfast served from 6 - 9:30 am. Served in a nice spacious, room with abundant natural light. Usual fare. Make your own waffles. Bagels, wheat bread, pastries, cold cereal, juices & coffee. In addition, they had scrambled eggs and sausage. Scrambled eggs were overcooked/dry.

I was surprised to receive a complimentary copy of the Wall Street Journal when I opened my door!

I was extremely pleased with this property. We would stay here again without any second thought.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

We went to spend the weekend in Galveston and the People at the Hotel had a great attitude, they help us to change our room for one with better view, they also recommend us a very nice restaurant, so the service in the Hotel is great, the price was fair and the Hotel has a fair breakfast and a Pool very convenient for our Children, I definitely stay again in this Hotel !

Room Tip: Rooms in the 3rd floor Great View to the Ocean
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
San Antonio, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2011

This is the second visit to this hotel for us. The staff is very efficient and friendly. We reserved the shuttle to transport us to the pier for a cruise. The weather was not very cooperative. There were quite a few people waiting for their turn on the shuttle to take them to the pier. The manager himself drove us in his private suv to the pier so we wouldn't have to wait so long. He is such a nice, helpful person and he unloaded our excessive luggage for us at the pier. When we returned from our cruise, Mr. Chauhan picked us up and returned us to the hotel where our car was parked. He again unloaded our luggage in the pouring down rain. I can't say enough about this hotel. We will definitely stay here again in the future. The beds are so comfortable and we enjoyed a good nights rest before our cruise.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Fayetteville, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

I have to say this was one of the most enjoyable stays in a hotel in such a long time.The room was very clean and the bed was excellent.The staff was friendly and very efficient.The assistant manager Miss Sharmin could not have been nicer.Always asking if there were anything that would make my stay better.The location was great also.It was next door to a theater,so I was able to take in a movie.I will definitely be staying here on my next visit to Galveston.
Carolyn Harris

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo

Been to Comfort Suites Galveston? Share your experiences!