“Great Pre-Cruise Stay - Could Have stayed Longer!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Garden Inn

The Garden Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Galveston
The Garden Inn
1601 Ball Street (Ave. H), Galveston, Galveston Island, TX   |
Ranked #10 of 13 Galveston B&B and Inns
Denver, Colorado
“Great Pre-Cruise Stay - Could Have stayed Longer!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2008

We chose The Garden Inn for one night prior to our cruise. After researching Galveston hotels and being shocked at the cost, I began looking at Bed and Breakfasts in the area. We are a group of six so we had the whole house to ourselves. The house and gardens are beautiful and immaculate. Pam and Mike gave us privacy but were there when we had questions. They even suggested a really fun local hamburger place. Their location is within walking distance of The Strand. It is not a short walk but a pleasant one. We felt safe walking back when it was dark. Breakfast was fabulous! Parking for our cars during the cruise was part of our stay, too.

If you are looking for a place on the seawall, this is not it. If you are looking for a nice quiet place to stay away from the crowds and close to The Strand area, this is it!

We all agreed that we will return to The Garden Inn on our next visit, whether it is pre-cruise or just enjoying this beautiful historic city.

Note to cruisers: You will spend the next week on a ship with MANY people. Enjoy the solitude of this bed and breakfast!

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

8 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2007

I booked into the Garden Inn May 16th. I split my stay for my first trip to Galveston between two places. The Garden Inn B & B for 5 nights and the Galvez for 4 (see review already posted).

Galveston is Rich in Registered Historical Sites and I wanted to make sure both the places I stayed at were among these. I would encourage everyone to try and take advantage of the history Galveston has to offer.

The Garden Inn is located on Ball Street and 16th Street . The house survived the great storm of 1900 and it even appears in a guidebook on architecture that I had purchased before my trip. It is situated right in a historical district and is surrounded by other spectacular homes. It is within walking distance of the Strand and Trolley and bus stops. There are restaurants just a few blocks away. There is also a little convenience store just a couple blocks away (not so well stocked but they do have the basics). I am not the fittest person in the world but I had no problem walking to and from the Sea Wall either from this location. I travel alone, and at no time felt unease at anytime while wandering the areas to and from this place. I love architecture and I wandered up and down looking at buildings/ homes on almost every street on that side of the island and then some and trust me the place is located in a very safe and beautiful area.

To really see Galveston you gotta see it on foot. But for those with a car there is also plenty of parking and they offer free parking for people going on a cruise. Many of the other guests were doing just that. I think they get allot of people about to cruise.

It was my first experience with a B & B so I would have to admit that I don’t know any better. But if the idea is to be a wonderfully furnished home (fancy but not too fancy) of which you are made to feel right at home at then I think the Garden Inn scores big.

Check Inn was quick and they had even taken the time to make a list of some things they knew I would find of interest. I know you are thinking that all places do that, but I had casually mentioned wanting to see a play and they had taken the time to find out what was playing at all the theatres and all the info about them. I thought that was very nice. I had already checked it out myself online, but when I saw the handwritten list I very much appreciated their efforts.

I seen the others rooms while being given the welcome tour and they are very nice, but I gotta tell you that my room (ask for Rose Room) was the best. I know that people that are attracted to these kinds of places appreciate history and character. My room had all that plus its own private veranda overlooking the back garden. That right there is worth the price of your room. (Which I found to be very fair)

Each morning and each night I found myself out there enjoying the view of the yard and the sounds of the neighbourhood. There are large trees blocking a great deal of the view, but these only add to the experience. They are full of birds (sorry I don’t know all the kinds but I did recognize the cardinals) and the sound the trees make swaying in the wind are so relaxing and peaceful. It was a great place to sit and unwind after wandering Galveston all day. Or sitting in the comfy wicker chairs with your morning coffee waiting for the sun to rise and planning your day. If you are not lucky enough to get the Rose Room the house did have other almost as wonderful places you could enjoy your morning coffee at.

I was told continental breakfast and morning coffee would be available at 7:00am. I am an early riser and I found that it was made available even earlier than that. I very much appreciated this because it allowed me to head out each morning much earlier that I had anticipated. I noticed that they were very willing to accommodate guests in regards to times for breakfast. I am told many B & B are not flexible. I found this one to be not only flexible that regard, but also in my check inn time.

On weekends they provide a gourmet breakfast at 9:00. It was fabulous, plus allowed you to visit with the other guests and share travel plans. I also enjoyed taking them on a tour of my room and making them jealous over my room and private veranda. I can guarantee any of those guests will be asking for that room on their next stay. Oh, don’t get me wrong the other rooms are great they just aren’t the “Best”.

Oh before I forget I have to mention the pillows. They were like Marshmallows or clouds or whatever word best describes the most amazing soft pillows I have ever come across. Not sure what they were made of but I regret not searching for a label. I found the mattress to be firmer than I prefer but I am sure many people would prefer it that way. The bathroom was pretty and they shower was roomy and the water pressure was great. It took a second or three to get the hot water up to snuff, but once it did it didn’t waver.

The garden in the backyard was very lush and full of interesting little touches. It is a large yard. They have provided many places to sit and enjoy it. The Pool was very clean and I think all the guests I saw there took time to enjoy it. Even if you don’t like to swim you can still appreciate it while laying back one of the lounge chair around it and taking in how pretty the yard is. I was part of the latter, although I did hang my feet in so I can tell you the temperature of the pool was perfect.

The Innkeepers (Pam and Mike) were very friendly and accommodating. They went out of there way to accommodate me when I was checking out. There is a friendly cat named Jack but he snubbed me right up until the last day on which he was then all charm and hung out in the garden with me. The Garden Inn is a lovely home and I was a bit sad to check out and head over to my next hotel (The Galvez).

I would stay there again in that room and found my stay there to be very positive. Like I said other that the mattress being a bit too firm for me I have nothing negative to say. Besides when you got Cloud like pillows and you wake up and open up your Antique French doors to your Own Private Veranda you are willing to overlook a firm mattress. Which by the way happens to be on a bed with one of the prettiest headboards I’ve ever seen.

This place is pretty from the outside to the inside and all around it.

I am grateful I had the chance to stay in this Historical Treasure and I am sure you would agree when you find yourself sitting on that veranda listening to the wind sway the trees and those birds that never run out of songs.

Oh and I know what you will be thinking... “Yup, this is the best room in the house”.

Been to The Garden Inn? Share your experiences!