“Not As Bad As Others Have Said...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Baymont Inn & Suites Galveston

You added Baymont Inn & Suites Galveston to your Saves list
Baymont Inn & Suites Galveston
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2826 63rd Street, Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77551   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #21 of 49 Hotels in Galveston
Oklahoma, USA
“Not As Bad As Others Have Said...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2010

Let me put this in perspective... this hotel was great for my friend and me because we were not in Galveston for a vacation... we were just passing through town and needed a place to stay. Reserved this off of hotels.com because of the $60 price. It was definitely worth it for what we needed!

Very great value!! For $60 we got a private balcony, two beds in a very modern and very comfortable room (also very clean), on what seemed to be a nice and relatively new property. Free morning breakfast was on par with other hotels of similar quality... breakfast dining area was a little dirty but my experience tells me that this is a problem even at more expensive places that offer "serve-yourself" continental breakfasts.

I could not imagine staying at this place for a vacation! It's just a chain hotel without any real resort amenities. Location on the island isn't the greatest... it's on/near a relatively dead stretch of Seawall not closeby anything overly interesting.

Pool and hot tub area seemed nice, though. If you're in town for one or two nights, or in town on business... you should definitely consider this place an option.

ALSO -- I did not experience the uncomfortable beds everyone else is talking about. I suppose everyone is different but I personally did not have a problem with the bed, and I did not hear my friend complain about his bed either.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Orange, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2009

Like others reading reviews on this hotel, I was a little skeptical seeing the wide range of opinions regarding this establishment. When I booked the hotel on a well known discount website (you know, the one with the famous space exploring actor that stars in their commercials) the reviews averaged and 8 out of 10. But when I checked other sites I found mixed reviews. The bottom line is that this hotel was an really pleasant surprise. The rooms were very nice and included a flat panel TV, modern furnishings, a private balcony, fridge and a microwave. The rooms were spacious, clean and updated and the bathrooms were very nice. We arrived about 7pm and the lady at the front desk was super nice and helpful without being overly chatty. The breakfast was a little skimpy, but for the price I couldn't ask for more. The only downside was that as I was using the computer in the "business center" the next morning, I overheard a very loud conversation concerning another employee. After several minutes, I told the very loud woman behind the front desk that her conversation was loud and inappropriate and that guests don't want to have to listen her loudly running down another employee. Seriously, you could have this woman from just about anywhere on the first floor of the hotel! But I can't hold that against the hotel. Overall, great stay.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Dallas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2009

Booked room for 3 nights, 10/18/09-10/20/09. Due to a sleepless night on 10/18, my wife and I went to lunch on 10/19 and decided to catch up on some sleep. Around 2:00 pm, we were awaken by hammering and sawing in the adjacent room. First time I called the front desk, the phone just rang and rang. I decided to wait a few minutes to call. Once I was able to contact the front desk, I was told that the workers are hanging flat screen TVs. I requested to have re-schedule or give us at least an hour or two to get some rest. She did not accept my request and contacted the owner. After a few minutes, the owner called and told me that people "typically" are out of their rooms at that time and the workers can not be re-scheduled or asked to stop. I mentioned the fact that we had a sleepless night and he questioned the reason. I could not believe that he had to have a reason as they are in the "HOSPITALITY" business and the least they should have done is to manage the schedule to work on another room or move us to another room. The ONLY other option offered was to leave the hotel. We could not accept this type of rude and abusive behaviour, thus we left. Unless you think this is acceptable, I would suggest checking out the competition. Being treated as a low life may not be your idea of hospitality either

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2009

I booked a room at this hotel in June 2009. When I called early October to confirm the reservations a very rude female staff member finally found my reservation after considerable time. I was told I was reserved for a room with a King size bed and a sleeper sofa. I told her that was incorrect. It was supposed to be a room with a King Size and 2 Queens I was told that they had a room like that but it was double the price I had been quoted and was told there was no way I was getting that room for that price. Things got worse and ended up with her hanging up on me and telling me we were not welcome in their hotel. Called Wyndam customer service directly and am still waiting on someone to call me back regarding this matter. I wouldn't stay here if they gave me a free room. Do yourself a favor and stay away. If you must, I suggest you check on before you arrive to avoid being put in a bind or a total surprise.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Little Rock
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Baymont in mid-September, and loved it. The front desk clerk was always so friendly and kind. The morning breakfast bar was good, although it was just a variety of carbs (waffles, bagles, toast, cereal). The room was clean, and the view wasn't too bad. We walked to the beach from the hotel. We'll definately be back.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Austin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2009

Upon arrival at the hotel,8/2/09, several issues with the management became apparent. Immediately, we were overcome with the smell of mold. As we entered our room, we were overcome by the very strong scent of lavender being used to cover up the mold. After 3 minutes in the room, it was agreed that we could not spend one night in this room without becoming ill.
They agreed to move us to the 2nd floor IF we paid additional charges of $20 + tax per night resulting in an increase of $69.00. I agreed and used a debit card. I was told it was declined. We provided a credit card and that was accepted. However, when my husband called the bank to find out what the problem was with our bank account, he was told the charge went through just fine and the $69 had been debited from the account. Again, we were back at the front desk requesting a credit of $69 which we did eventually receive.
At 3:22 a.m. my husband and I were abruptly awakened by loud, screeching noises that sounded like they were coming from the walls and continued consistently, without stopping. I went to the front desk area, directly below our room, just before 4:00 a.m. where I could still hear the noise, however, at a muffled level. The front desk clerk insisted there was no noise. I insisted that the clerk visit my room to listen. She did so and only then agreed that it was loud and disruptive, but had no solutions other than to put us back in one of the moldy rooms.
The Assistant Manager who checked us out said, “Good luck getting your money back from Expedia.” I said, “Do you not like Expedia? Are they rude?” She replied, “No, I’m rude to them. I don’t like them.”
After 5 phone calls to Expedia in which the Expedia representatives are repeatedly told differing stories including that they can only call between 10 am and 11 am with me on the phone if I want my money back, I have filed a dispute with the credit card company to get the $198.96 refund for the 2 nights we had to check into another hotel. I have come to the conclusion that the Baymont’s management plays games such as providing only king-size beds on the first floor so that guests must endure the mold or upgrade to a new room, say that charges have been declined when they haven't, frustrating customers who ask for refunds so much that customers give up on ever receiving their money back.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Fort Worth, Tx.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2009

We arrived late to find no parking because several tenants were taking up two spaces and was told to park at the hotel next door. The next morning I spoke with the lady at the front desk and questioned why they did not speak with these people and request they use one space so all tenants could park on property. She stated that people do this at Walmart all the time. I explained that I do not spend over $100 a night to park at Walmart. She then said she does not have time to fuss at everyone. EXTREMELY RUDE! The weekend staff was very friendly, but this lady has no business dealing with customers. Hotel also has thin walls (noisy) and when the people above us would take a shower there was a loud thumping noise on our ceiling. As stated breakfast is overcrowded. This is the first time I have ever complained about a hotel and use tripadvisor before every trip we take. Too many other places to choose from, would not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Baymont Inn & Suites Galveston? Share your experiences!