“We had an amazing experience!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Galveston Beach Hotel

Save Saved
You added Galveston Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Galveston Beach Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1702 Seawall Boulevard, Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77551 (Formerly Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort Galveston Beach)   |
Ranked #32 of 49 Hotels in Galveston
Houston, Texas
“We had an amazing experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The hotel was centrally located, close to the beach, and was extremely clean. The staff were friendly and helpful. My girlfriend and I decided to book a hotel and check out Galveston on a whim and this was a wonderful hotel experience. The pool/bar is top notch and our room was perfectly clean. The room was above average quality and I couldn't find anything wrong with it. We had a great view of the water and the only obstruction was the palapas roof of the swim-up bar which added to the atmosphere (We were on the fourth floor.) They have a gated parking lot which was secure and it had plenty of parking the weekend we went. The manager, Fourest Mills, was awesome and even helped my girlfriend and I loading my cooler and bags into my truck. He was such a nice guy and is really my motivation for even writing this review. I can't say more good things about this place and I look forward to the next time we go back. The Galveston Beach Hotel has gained a very loyal customer!

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
GBHGM, General Manager at Galveston Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Thank you so much for your review! I am so glad the two of you enjoyed your stay here! I will certainly mention your comments and experience to all of my staff! We hope to see you back soon!

Sincerely

Rick G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Fort Worth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This hotel gets some very bad reviews for what appears to be ill logical thinking on the part of their guests. While I am no expert on lodgings, I do have extensive varied experience with the ranges of accommodations from “bates motel” to “Carlton Ritz”. I would like to address some concerns for any future travelers.
First, it is an older motel; emphasis on motel. From the front it looks like a hotel, but on the inside you can see where they have accented décor to hide the fact that it was an open motor inn at one time. Therefore, many of the rooms are directly exposed to the sea salt water from both directions. Because this is a seaside town, there is always going to be high humidity and moisture in and around ALL lodgings. It will have a damp feel and as such you can smell it and it doesn't necessarily mean it's moldy. You must turn on your air conditioner to alleviate and “dry out” the room air. Our room was essentially like this when we arrived. An hour later, it was perfectly fine after getting the air going.

Second, both elevators were running fine this weekend. However, we never had a problem using only the main elevator with everyone else. Once again, I detect impatience as a reason for previous gripes. You should always know where and how to access stairs in an emergency as even new hotels have problems.

While this hotel certainly overcharges for what you get, they do offer friendly, helpful people at the front desk, you do not have to fiddle with pay by phone parking as Stewart Beach is right there, Pleasure Pier, Floats, The Spot, Fish Tales(a favorite of locals) are all within walking distance, the pool is clean and has a swim-up bar, they have their own palapa street-side bar from where you can enjoy the ocean, and Miller's Seawall Grill has the best breakfast and is a block from this hotel. You could literally pull in and never have to move your car if you didn't want to. This hotel is on the East end of the Island very convenient to the Bolivar Ferry, The Strand, and Bishops Palace. The view from the windows is great and the balconies are well used by guests. They also have some of the best soaps I've ever used in terms of the fragrance.

The only drawbacks we experienced were the timing on cleaning service daily and once again I think the rate is a little high considering other places I have stayed. But, you have to be willing to pay for perfect. I suspect these previous reviewers would need to pay the 300 – 400 a night range in Galveston to satisfy their needs. Not being willing or able, they would rather bash this hotel.

I'm not related nor do I have any interest in the success or failure of this establishment.

Room Tip: The higher floor the better and not 209/210(no view) because of building constraints.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
GBHGM, General Manager at Galveston Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for taking the time to write such an informative response. We hope to have you back next year as our hotel we be completely renovated and reflagged. The open hallways you mentioned are currently being sealed up! Lots of great changes are underway. Combined with all of the local amenities and nearby attractions, I don't think you will want to stay anywhere else! Again thanks for your comments and we look forward seeing you again!

Rick G.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We just finished a 5 day stay and I knew the hotel was undergoing renovations so I expected it to be a little rough, but it was in a little worse shape than what I thought it would be. We've been there 2 other times and while it is not a fancy place, the rooms were always clean and dry. The worst thing to me right now is the mold and mildew problem. Our room smelled strongly of disinfectant when we entered it and by the next morning the disinfectant smell had worn off and it was obvious there was a bad mildew problem in the room. My husband stepped on the wood threshold going out to the porch and water oozed out from the carpet or carpet padding onto the porch which explained the mildew. And the more he stepped on the threshold the more water kept oozing out. We asked to change to a different room and the staff was very helpful and immediately let us have another room. When I opened the dresser drawer to take out my clothes they smelled of mildew though, and any paper sack or box that had been sitting on the floor was soft and damp feeling. The second room was much better as far as the smell, but the A/C still did not seem to remove any moisture from the air at all. We noticed that our towels never dried out and that even the papers on the table got moist feeling no matter how low we set the A/C and how cold the room got. There were other little inconveniences due to the construction and poor housekeeping (construction noise, broken water pipes which shut off the hot water for several hours, false fire alarm, burnt out light bulbs & a tv that was unplugged in a newly cleaned room, etc). On the positive side though, Rick and the staff are trying their very best to make the best of a tough situation and they absolutely did the best they could to fix things promptly or offer us another room. And even though I know they are getting a lot of complaints they were all very pleasant. Rick used an ozone machine for an hour or so in our room while we were out having dinner and it helped the smell tremendously for 24 hours, but unfortunately the smell returned. Both my husband and I are allergic to mold and ended up coughing a lot more than we usually do and I definitely would not advise anyone with any sort of lung disorder to go there now. I will not go back until after the remodel, but look forward to visiting again then.

Room Tip: Higher floors have the best view
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments. We look forward to having you back again in our completely renovated rooms. They will be done sooner than you think!
Groves, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I first want to give a huge thank you to Paul Davis. He was so great to my friends and I. He should get a big fat raise. I read all the reviews before going and was a bit nervous. I have to say his hotel is not perfect but it was perfect for me and my friends. Awesome view and comfortable beds and ice cold room. Only thing I didn't care for was the price of wine. WOW $7.00 for a cup of wine is very pricey, even for a hotel. Other than that we had a great time and look forward to coming back after the remodeling is done. Also want to say thank you to our bartender Cherise for putting up with our craziness and thank you to Forest for all you help.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
GBHGM, General Manager at Galveston Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thank you so much for your kind words! I am blessed with an exceptional staff and will certainly read your post to our team! We look forward to having you back! Our Transformation is under way!

Sincerely

San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Own timeshare week after Labor Day @ Holiday Inn Beach Resort - 11743 San Luis Pass Rd - 1 bedroom beach front - beach had lot of kelp on the beach -Mosquito were in force, but one could walk beach and walk around sargassum piles with no problem

This year the Galveston beach is receiving higher than normal amountss sargassum that has washing up on Galveston beach that started in May and has continues throughout the summer. It is a natural part of being by the sea and in some locations on the Galveston Island has received larger amounts seaweed in a short period of time of the consolidated seaweed influxes this year.
Galveston Park Board will leave sargassum on the beach and not push away from the shoreline to create a path for beach-goes this is for to allow this important organism to decompose naturally. Seaweed has many environmental benefits, such as serving as a nesting habitat for sea turtles, and removing it from the beach would take away miles and miles of sand, creating erosion of the beaches. Seaweed is actually a good thing, so it is a constant balance for us to be environmentally responsible and still accommodate beach-goers

Room Tip: Holiday Inn Beach Resort - 11743 San Luis Pass Rd - web site can rent room for weekend or week
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your insight on the seaweed on the beach. Its actually been very fun for the kiddos looking for shrimp and other small critters! You are correct! Its a very important part of the nature! We hope to see you back again in 2015 if not sooner!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My wife and I are currently staying here. At first I thought this was going to be great. The pool looked amazing, but they closed it 25 minutes early so that bummed us. The ladies at the front desk were friendly, so that was nice. Then we needed a staff member to come to the room to help with the TV remote, my wife was met by a guy with an attitude issue. But hey, could have been us being tired. The room was average at best, smelled stuffy, stained carpets, mold, and to us the worst part was the Mosquitos. We killed about 30 of them before deciding to freeze them out with the AC. We are praying our experience gets better or we will be taking our business elsewhere. On a positive note, they are renovating. That part is a plus.

• Stayed September 2014
Thanks for letting us know of your concerns when you checked in via Tripadvisor. I sincerely hope you enjoyed the remainder of your stay! I did reach back at to you and my team spoke very highly of you! I would love to hear how the remainder of your stay progressed! Hope to see you back soon!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

So we ended up getting a great last minute deal for a long weekend thanks to priceline. We got 2 rooms for 2 nights. Staff is very friendly. Room are decent but need some fixing. There was rust on the doors for balconies and paint peeling here and there. All rooms have ocean view and free parking. Convenient location. Pool is small but nice. The beach across the street is a plus. Not that from pleasure pier and you can rent bikes right next door. We had a great time. The next time we come hopefully it will be fixed up.

• Stayed August 2014
Rick G, General Manager at Galveston Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Thanks for telling us about your stay! We look forward to having you back and yes!.... our transformation begins this week! Its going to be incredible! Safe travels and we hope to see you again soon!

Been to Galveston Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!