“This hotel is an abomination.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Galveston Beach Hotel

Save Saved
You added Galveston Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Galveston Beach Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1702 Seawall Boulevard, Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77551 (Formerly Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort Galveston Beach)   |
Ranked #34 of 49 hotels in Galveston
Galveston
“This hotel is an abomination.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW via mobile

First off, we got a "family room" with bunk beds for our children. It was a great idea. Except for they are on the same level/side as the pool and music until 10:00 so they said. That doesn't matter much since the bar adjacent to the pool is open until 2 am with loud music.
Only one elevator works, and the night prior we found out it failed in between floors with people on board. The fire department had to be called to get them off. The other elevator is non operational.
That leaves the wet/moldy stairs to travel in between rooms if you don't want to wait 10 minutes to go up two floors on a potentially dangerous elevator. My wife and daughter slipped on the hazardous stair way injuring my wife's leg.
The rooms smell of mold and the floors are soggy and make you feel uncomfortable.
The "children's room" suite is no more than a closet with a bunk bed crammed in with a door that had apparently been ripped off at some point in time.
One lamp worked in our room. Which was okay since it helped us not focus on the paint bubbling off of the wall and ceiling in our "suit".
The location is prime and the staff did seem to be helpful.
However, you can't look past all of the flaws in a hotel we paid over $300.00 for.
I will never recommend this place and as it goes without saying will not ever stay here again.
Save yourself the heartache and money and stay elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2014
Rick G, General Manager at Galveston Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience. I read and take seriously all the comments both good and bad. The elevator concern is being corrected and I am truly sorry for the inconvenience that it caused. Your families comfort and stay is important to me and I will reach out to you regarding your experience to make things right. Again thank you for your response.

68 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

I had made reservations to stay at the Galveston Beach Hotel for five days after a college visit in Beaumont. The staff was very accommodating when we arrived early. The room was fine, the view was even better.

However, after a hold for $1,170.95 had been placed on my account, which I was aware of and had accepted, two days later another charge hit my account for $205.85. Unbeknownst as to what the charge was for, I immediately went to the front desk, asked to speak with a manager, which I was told was unavailable due to a conference call, and demanded to know what the charge was for. The receptionist at the front desk was very helpful and this was at no fault to her, but the information she relayed was unsettling. There was "no record" of the $205 charge in their system so she told me it had to be a problem with my bank and I should call them. After talking to the bank they informed me, only confirming my thoughts, that someone has to approve the charge in order for the bank to even see it, so it could not be their fault and I needed to speak to the supervisor immediately. I went back to the front desk to discuss this with them and was able to speak to a manager, Fourest Mills, at that time. He promised to call the bank and have the full amount released. The following day it was released from my pending charges. We had to check out early due to a family emergency and upon returning home, I noticed the $205.85 had been taken completely from my account. Meaning, someone at the hotel had put through a receipt for the amount. Now, if there is no record of the charge on their side, but somehow a receipt goes through? Sounds extremely dishonest to me. I had called the hotel five times to speak to the manager or supervisor, left voice mails, and still have not heard back from them. Needless to say I will never be returning and dispute paperwork has been issued.

This whole situation was an absolute loss of integrity to the institution. I loved the service here and the room and would have recommended to anyone, but after this incident I will not be doing any such thing.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Paige,

I reached out to you today via email. I am truly sorry and apologize for the issues regarding your charge to your account. Apparently we had another reservation in the system for you, which appeared as though you did not show up to the Hotel. We take this seriously and as soon as I received your email I have had it corrected. I will personally handle any issues with your financial institution regarding this matter.
Independence
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

I say its a bad transition because they were just bought out by Double Tree Hilton and they haven't fully changed it over yet.

The first impression is above average because of the nice pool and the clean and nice appearance of the lobby, but that's just the surface. The elevator was in great desire of maintenance. and it was broke down while we were there. Walking up and down 5 flights of stairs isn't what I wanted to do! Luckily they allowed the patrons to use the service elevator.

The pool had a nasty looking film on the top of the water and sand all in the bottom, well I could barely see the bottom because the water was so merky, I guess it was sand. Then what to do on a rainy day? Watch TV. Couldn't do much of that, the satellite was blinking off and on. The bathroom was also in great desire of maintenance, even the shower floor wasvacan't even level and it flooded the back corner.

Rooms smelled and you could probably blame that on all the seaweed piles outside the hotel. Overall not a nice or even decent place to stay for the extreme price we paid. We left early from our vacation because we were so unhappy. Planned for 6 months and 14 hour drive and we were so very disappointed!

Strongly recommend wait to stay here if at all till the renovation is done and hopefully they will keep it clean and step up there game!

• Stayed July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to respond regarding your stay here on Tripadvisor. Your comments are genuine and are taken seriously. We are making steps to improve the facility and those steps are moving forward. We hope that you give us the opportunity in the future to exceed your expectations. Please contact me directly to discuss as I am committed to insuring your satisfaction.

Priddy, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The Hotel is across the street from seawall, it is well staffed. Beds were comfortable but the bedspread (duvet) was under the Top sheet ? weird. the halls & elevator were un airconditioned. The pool and swim up bar are amazing. all rooms have excellent view of the gulf except 209 & 210 and ground floor rooms. rooms above 2nd floor all have view. the floors in the hall were somewhat dirty but overall, a great place to stay used to be holiday inn. Also, there was no liner on the shower curtain so the cloth was dripping wet after shower.

Room Tip: room 209 & 210 do not have a good view. all others do.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Rick G, General Manager at Galveston Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Mark thanks for taking the time to write about your experience. We really appreciate the fact that you stayed with us here with so many options to choose from. We hope to see you back after our renovation and transformation to a new product.

Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Concierge Paul made our stay WONDERFUL! We had over 100 teenagers stay during our High School band trip. Most of the hotel staff were great to our students. Thought it was ridiculous when they weren't happy with students coming in with sand on their feet. Hello...you are a beach hotel. Most of our students even stopped to wash off their feet before coming into the building.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your response! Your kids were well behaved and I hope everyone had a great time. We hope to see you all back!!!
North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Went to Galveston for a family reunion/90th birthday party. I want to give the good first-- the staff in the restaurant and front desk were excellent. Paul, Reagan, Josh in the restaurant and my mother raved about Jennifer at the front desk. Thank you to you all as you made our stay and the party fabulous. Sheryl in the sales office, who is no longer there, was excellent as well. We had a rocky start in booking this event and when Sheryl came on board, it all came together.
The bad is that the property really needs renovations badly. BUT since they will be becoming a Doubletree in 2015 that will be what the property needs. It is a diamond in the rough right not but will be fabulous once Hilton comes in. Will def stay again once it is all been re-done.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool are excellent!!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Donna thank you for the review.
Your family was lovely and we all enjoyed having you as guests. We look forward to the transition as well and hope to see you all again next year!
Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The good thing is the staff were excellent,Kim and Chef at breakfast,Paul Davis who always called us by first name and had us belly laughing every day,and the brilliant pool girl waitresses who were really nice,helpful and friendly,especially Gabriella,thankyou all for all you did.
The bad is the hotel is really shabby and run down BUT has been taken over and a refurb is about to begin.The room was clean and had great views but is certainly ready for upgrading.
The bad was the cost.We paid a total of $2211 for a shabby room for 1 week,ok we were there for the 4th July,but for the holiday period we had to pay $389 per night room only + tax for a cheap motel standard accommodation and when I queried it and pointed out that a door sticker in the room said the maximum rate per night was $275 no one was interested and no effort was made to adjust the cost or explain why it was so much.
Mr Bird(new owner).You have a property now that has so much potential and staff that will be a credit to you.I spoke to many other guests that paid way less than we did for the same dates,and one guy had obviously paid similar to us and was shouting down the phone at someone that he stays in top class hotels in NYC for less.I really feel ripped off and it spoils what otherwise was a really good experience.

Room Tip: Wait until the refurb is done,then check the price!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thanks for joining us over the busy July 4th Holiday week. We realize you have a choice when staying in Galveston and we are glad you made the decision to stay with us over this busy Holiday period. Hotel rooms are much like airline seats. many times the person sitting next to you may not have paid the same rate as you paid depending upon when you purchased your ticket. Some rates were offered at the hotel over a year ago by the previous company. We certainly accommodated those rates as new owners. The rates we charged during this time period were aligned with what the market was charging at the time. In regards to the rate on the back of your door I am having the staff check every door today. The previous rate is overwritten in the rooms and it appears your room had been scratched off. Thank you for brining this to our attention as we are correcting it immediately. Please call me directly when looking to travel to Galveston again. Mr. Byrd reads every review and I can assure you we will make your next experience well worth your while.

Been to Galveston Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!