First off, I've stayed here several times (2010, 2011, & summer 2012), and loved it. It has a nice pool right across from the beach, with a small swim-up bar, which is attached to a nice bar / restaurant right on the beach called "Captain Jack's". HOWEVER, all of this was OPEN when I stayed the previous three times. It was all CLOSED the week of our last stay.
So if you're thinking about staying here, be ready for the pool to be ice cold; the nice little restaurant on the beach (Captain Jack's) to be closed; the hairdryer on your bathroom wall to be missing; the vending machine (3rd floor) to be broken; NO MAID SERVICE UNLESS YOU REQUEST IT EACH DAY; window overlooking the ocean to have a big crack running down the middle of it; no table on your balcony (some have it, ours didn't); hotel bar / restaurant is like a sauna. More details below.............
Here's the FACTS (not opinion) from our current stay (11/19/12 - 11/23/12): My parents came in for Thanksgiving week, and were set on renting a house in Galveston so they could have some "beach time". I highly recommended the Holiday Inn Sunspree due to my previous stays here, which were fantastic in the past. We stayed in room 320.
Problem 1: The pool was closed.
Problem 2: The pool isn't heated. (I called the Hotel Galvez & Hilton just up the street, and found that their hotels are heated. We were going to switch hotels (beings they were the same price), but we didn't want to go through the hassle after we checked in and got situated).
Problem 3: Hairdryer was ripped off the wall in the bathroom. (Lucky we brought our own).
Problem 4: Window overlooking the ocean had a crack running down the middle of it. (Nice to look at when you're looking out at the ocean :-))
Problem 5: No table on OUR balcony. All the other rooms had tables, but ours didn't.
Problem 6: No maid service / housekeeping unless you request it. When we did request our room to be serviced, we were brought a few towels. Our room was serviced twice during our week stay.
Problem 7: Hotel bar (across from the lobby) is so hot that it feels like a sauna. The one time we went in there to watch the football game (beings Captain Jack's was closed all week), we watched the one other person in there dripping sweat from how hot it was in there.
Problem 8: The lights this hotel uses are like heat lamps. In all of the hallways leading to the rooms, and in the elevator, it's very well heated (from the lights). Not the best way to insulate a an area :-) Ever heard of compact fluorescent's or LED's???? Would save a bunch in the power bill and be able to heat the pool & keep Captain Jack's open with the money they save!
Problem 9: The vending machine on our floor (3rd floor) was broken. There's a number on the machine to call if it rips you off, so the hotel doesn't have to take responsibility for it. With Captain Jack's being closed, and the hotel bar being like a sauna, we were left with the vending machine. When this didn't work, we were left laughing at what a joke this hotel has become.
All in all, this is just another example of why businesses go under. No, it's not the economy. Not, it's not George Bush's fault. These businesses go under, because they stop doing what they were doing to be successful in the first place. They hire employees who don't take care of the issues brought to their attention. (Why weren't we moved to another room when we brought these issues to their attention? The hotel was at 20% occupancy when we told them about these issues. It's not like there wasn't SEVERAL other rooms we could have been moved to). They start cutting costs, not realizing that the very things they're cutting will lead to reviews like this, costing them much more in business than the money they're saving by NOT HEATING THE POOL, CLOSING ONE OF THEIR MAIN ATTRACTIONS ("CAPTAIN JACK'S" ON THE BEACH), NO MAID SERVICE UNLESS REQUESTED, CRACKED WINDOW, BROKEN VENDING MACHINE, NO AIR CONDITION IN THE SAUNA-LIKE HOTEL BAR, TABLES ON SOME BALCONY'S AND NOT ON OTHERS, ETC.)
So why did I give this hotel 2 stars vs 1? The A.C in the room worked great and we were kindly given some bottles of water when checking in. The lady checking us in was very nice to us. The balcony is a nice feature, as the view is great. It was all downhill after that though.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort Galveston Beach Hotel
- Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort Galveston Beach Hotel Galveston
- Holiday Inn Galveston
- Galveston Holiday Inn
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Just steps from the Gulf of Mexico, Galveston Beach Hotel, Galveston's newest beachfront boutique hotel, is located on the Seawall near the Pleasure Pier and East Beach, our property is the perfect escape from the daily grind. Only 200ft from the sandy beach, you are sure to enjoy Captain Jacks Beach Bar, this large palapa-style bar is famous in Galveston and is a favorite of locals and tourists alike. Jacks offers great views of the Gulf of Mexico from 2 sun decks and a dozen ocean view tables. Captain Jacks also offers a full menu with island favorites such as, fresh fish tacos, char grilled burgers and fresh cut fries. Visit Jacks during the summer months for live entertainment from local artists on our own elevated band stage! Free Wi-Fi, a flat screen TV and a mini-refrigerator are featured in all of the temperature-controlled rooms at Galveston Beach Hotel. Most rooms offer fantastic panoramic views of the Gulf of Mexico and public beaches. Our on-site restaurant offers a full breakfast menu to start your day off right. Just minutes from the cruise terminal our property offers great cruise packages including parking and shuttle transportation. Whether you are going to the beach, on a cruise or in Galveston on business, you are sure to have a comfortable stay with memories that last a lifetime. Our property offers; bunk bed suites, private balconies, a magnificent free form pool with a swim up bar and waterfall, a family friendly restaurant, room service, a full gift shop and arcade! You can truly kick off your shoes and relax at the Galveston Beach Hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, Venere and Otel so you can book your Galveston Beach Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.