“Great pre-cruise stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Quality Inn & Suites Galveston

You added Quality Inn & Suites Galveston to your Saves list
Quality Inn & Suites Galveston
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5924 Seawall Blvd, Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77551   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #14 of 49 Hotels in Galveston
The West
“Great pre-cruise stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Stayed here 2 nights pre-cruise having never been to Galveston - this hotel was a great choice. Stayed in a King suite - very quiet, room a good size and even the sofa bed was okay to sleep on - very clean. Staff were very friendly and helpful doing everything they could to make your stay a good one - high marks! Breakfast was good and have an computer for free internet in the lobby. Close to all the shops you could want and right across the street is the long stretch of beach and seawall - easy to walk to everything. Would definitely return and recommend great value for the price!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Houston, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

This is a 5 story hotel across from the beach but on a busy corner so when you are sitting on the balcony or leaving the door open, it can be a little noisy. But they must have soundproofed the rooms because when you shut the balcony door, you can't hear anything....except for maybe a police siren. We had adjoining rooms and my kids had the tv on....I couldn't even hear the tv, much less their noisiness and we only had one of the adjoining doors shut. Beds were very comfortable and the room itself was VERY clean and roomy. But I didn't give it 5 stars because there is only ONE small and very slow elevator for the whole hotel. Because we were on the 5th floor, climbing up and down the stairs with luggage was out of the question but the elevator was so slow, we were tempted to do it. Breakfast area was very large and continental breakfast was fine but there's a IHOP next door and a Waffle House across the street if you want more of a breakfast. The other thing we didn't like was a chemical smell in the hallways....obviously some kind of cleaning thing but the rooms don't smell like that at all...it's only in the hallways....strange.

We were there during Mardi Gras weekend and while all the other hotels were overpriced, the Quality Inn and Suites remained reasonably priced.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Leavenworth, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Had all my family staying there we took up 9 rooms and found this too be the place to stay not only for cruise but just to visit the area, Staff was the BEST, Hotel clean and neat great breakfest and slept good in the beds. The have free parking while on the cruise without problems. The owner is heck of a nice guy to talk to . We will be back just to stay a week visiting the area , Clean, neat, good location for food and shopping also.

Room Tip: Great rates for what your getting
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Dayton, Tennessee, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

This was one of the best places we have ever stayed. It was conveniently located near several stores. It was very clean, it had good food, and extremely good customer service! We will definitely stay there again;)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
San Antonio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

When you only spend $43 on a room there is some trepidation.

Only problem here is the lack of adequate sound proofing. It felt like the young family next door (screaming babies and screamimg mom) were in my room.

Hallways are painted in very bright colors which almost hurt my eyes. Decor is muted in the room.

Fun to talk with all the Dakotans staying here. All were amazed that 60s in January in the norm in Galveston while their homeland rarely sees above freezing.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
San Antonio, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

This hotel was an average Quality Inn. The room was pretty spacious and the bed was comfortable. Everything seemed clean (although there was an unpleasant antiseptic “hospital” smell very noticeable in the the hallway), and we like the convenience of the refrigerator and microwave. Breakfast was average. I would probably have given this hotel 4 stars based on comfort of the bed, cleanliness, and easy to find location right on Seawall Blvd.… but there were some problems.

First, my reservation was changed without my knowledge. I reserved a King Suite two months in advance, using the Advance Purchase Rate (non-refundable, no cancellation). A few days before our stay, I received an email reminder. Scanning the reminder, I did not notice that the word “suite” had been removed. When we checked in late in the evening, we were given a standard king room. Arriving in our room, I knew something wasn’t right. But it had been two months since I made the reservation so I thought maybe it was just me and I let it go. However, checking my email confirmations after our return, I saw that the word “suite” which appeared on our initial confirmation had been removed in the email reminder we received. The price was unchanged, though a standard king room should have been cheaper than the suite we reserved. I have no idea how, why, or who changed our reservation.

This is a big deal to me. I reserved and even pre-paid for a particular room, and I expect to get the room I paid for. So that seriously affects my rating. But I might still have gone with 3 stars, because the room was comfortable….Until the morning when I was in the bathroom getting ready to leave, and saw a roach climbing up the wall. Ewww!

The “partial sea view” was quite limited. Check my photos. You have to walk across a large parking lot and then across the street to access the beach. It’s not far, but you should know that the hotel is not directly on the beach and the rooms do not have forward-facing views. You have to sort of scrunch into the corner of the balcony to get a view of the sea… which is beyond the view of the parking lot.

I also include photos of the laundry facility and pool. We did not use these, but if you have an extended stay the laundry can certainly be convenient to have available. The pool is indoors so can be used year round. There is even a limited amount of covered parking if you are lucky enough to snag one of the covered spaces.

The price can vary wildly. We paid a low off-season rate. Just a couple of weeks later, at the end of January, rates were showing on the website more than twice as high. Not sure why they were so elevated that weekend (still off-season), but if your dates are flexible it would be worth your time to check various dates.

I try to be fair in every review, pointing out the good and the bad. The room here was spacious and the bed was comfortable. But given the change of our reserved, pre-paid room and the roach problem, I certainly think this is a case of Buyer Beware!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Journeyman1234, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Galveston, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Hello, I wish I knew who this is so I could investigate this reservation, but from what I saw about your getting confirmation e-mails and the advance pay option, I assume you made it on Choicehotels.com. We at the hotel can only give you what the reservation that goes directly into our system calls for, we have no control over this, and we would never give you something you didn't reserve. The only reason you couldn't cancel, is because you booked a special advanced purchase rate that is much lower than normal, and part of that plan is that it can not be cancelled...this is noted on the site. If you would like to call me, I would be happy to look into this further and see if there is any remedy available for you. As far as views go, we advertise a "partial view" and that is what we have. We get many positive reviews from people who love the views on this very site, so I am sorry you were unhappy, but we gave you what we advertise. We do not advertise that "we are on the beach". There are no hotels on the beach in Galveston, due to the hurricanes we sometimes get. We are across the street on the Seawall, just like everyone else. We value the opinions of our guests, and appreciate your review, they are very helpful for helping us improve our guest's experiences. Best Regards,
James Marx, GM.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Our stay was great! Staff was very friendly and helpful. Room was nice and clean. The view from the room was amazing. Breakfast was typical free breakfast more fruit would have been nice. It had great access to the

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Quality Inn & Suites Galveston? Share your experiences!