“Great Tex-Mex” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #32 of 254 restaurants in Galveston
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
Pacific, Missouri
“Great Tex-Mex”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We recently returned for lunch at the restaurant and parked on the street nearby. We were greeted and seated promptly, although it was very busy. Our waiter took our drink order, while a server brought the fantastic lite chips and home made salsa. The menu is that of a typical tex-mex which includes various nachos, enchiladas, combo plates with rice and beans, and vegetarian plates. We chose the special Mexican dinner which consisted of a tamale, taco and two enchiladas for the variety. We had a choice of beef, chicken or cheese. The entrée was delish as was the rice; very moist and especially good. The server, not our waiter, did a great job in keeping us with chips, salsa and water. We also enjoyed giant size margaritas, both on the rocks and frozen which had plenty of liquor in them. We'll be back again on our next trip!

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

79% Recommend
Texas
“Good food,,, ok service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I have been to this location twice now. I think this food is very good,,, especially for the Galveston, TX area. The variety of food is common plates as any other restaurant.

Parking is horrible,,, the place is very busy,and located within a neighborhood. Either you park in the street or you park in a very small parking lot, which used to be here a house once stood.

You walk in and you into a side door,, and have to go up very steep steps.

There is plenty of space and seatging, for 2 levels, but in a party of 5 or more,, good luck. We waited about 45 minutes for lunch (on a Sunday,,, around 1:00 pm). They would sit tables that would hold 2-4 people first,,, at times right next to each other... Could they combine 2 tables for a party of 5.

When we got seated,,, the tables were dirty. The staff cleaned half of our table and then went to another group and started cleaning their table. WE had to call them over.

For the second time, I have gone, our table was dirty. ALSO, we actually had to get our own silver wear and knapkins.

The food is really good, and the prices are reasonable... Enjoy the margaritas,, they tend to have kick.
Overall,, the food is worth the servce.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Houston
“Still Goin' Strong”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Founded in 1916 the Original Mexican cafe has been going strong and still are. Some of the best Tex-Mex you can get with friendly service and reasonable prices. The shrimp quisadillas ae not to be missed.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Best enchilada I've ever had !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Service was friendly and efficient.
Started with chips and salsa which were excellent. I had a spinach mushroom and chicken enchilada which was one of the best meals I've ever eaten.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles, California
“Don't Believe the Hype”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

This is a vastly overrated restaurant. Five of us had a very poor experience, and in fact this is the 1st negative review I have given on a restaurant. The service was the worst I've seen in twenty years. All the other members of my party left major portions of their food and each one of them felt it was well below standard. I had the chicken soup and my meal was actually acceptable! The drinks were even worse. I was served the wrong cocktail, and it took 30 minutes just to get the right drink. Once I got the "correct" cocktail it was absolutely awful.

When I say service, forget it. EVERY person who "served" us made no eye contact, was never friendly, and made couldn't get but one of our orders correct.

My advice is to stay away! There are far better restaurants and we found a gem that I will be reviewing next. Our group is usually easy to please, but this was amazing.

• Visited April 2013