“Superb cajun food in the Arts District” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Aubrey, Texas
“Superb cajun food in the Arts District”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

I happened into this restaurant after grabbing an espresso at the MOD Coffee House across the street; the bartender welcomed me in (even though it was 15 minutes before opening time), spoke with me about the food options, and welcomed me to come back (I think his name was Nasser?). He was very friendly, and knowledgeable about the menu, and local attractions.

My family and I went back the next afternoon prior to our trip back to Denton. It was a beautiful evening, so we sat outside (after about 5PM, the sun was shining across the entire street and into our faces, so try to sit nearer the neighboring restaurant). Austin was our server, and he had good advice about dishes and brews.

We went with the Lil' Daddy Steampots (I had the 16 oz. gumbo with seafood and chicken & sausage); it was MORE than enough, and I had half the bowl left over. My wife and I split the fish on a roll (which was OK), and we split an order of fried okra, which was amazing (and a really big side for $2.49). I will say that this was the best cajun gumbo that I have had outside Louisiana.

Three beers, two 16 oz. steampots, a fish sandwich, fried okra, a kids' cheeseburger w/ fries, and garlic bread for less than $60 in one of the nicer shopping/eats neighborhoods in Galveston. We loved this place, and we will definitely be back!

• 5 of 5 stars Food

“Wonderful food and atmosphere!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

Wonderful food and atmosphere off the beaten path. My husband and I shared a "small" bowl of seafood gumbo and the bowls were not small at all. We also shared the BBQ oysters and shrimp. Our favorite was the gumbo and oysters. The service and atmosphere were both over the top. We are both so glad that we tried this restaurant and we will return on our next trip to Galveston!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sumner, Washington
“good gumbo large servings”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

enjoyed lunch had seafood gumbo & garlic bread made for a great lunch after a city tour & downtown walk.
Tip..had a small bowl very large servings.

Denver, Colorado
“Great Beer selection and excellent gumbo”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

This little place in the town center has a fantastic selection of Texas beers. They also make an amazing gumbo with a deep, rich roux. I had the chicken and sausage, and could only have been happier with more.

• Visited February 2014
Houston, Texas
“Amazing Gumbo!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

Just delicious Gumbo, cooked right in front of you. We also had steamed seafood in a white wine and garlic sauce! It was an unique experience for someone that's just at their first Gumbo. I've tasted Gumbo in many other places, but never liked it enough to order some myself. Here it was better than anywhere else. I recommend this place to anyone looking for the famous Southern food experience.

• Visited February 2014