“Great gumbo” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Chicago, Illinois
“Great gumbo”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

We love this place. it was our first stop in galveston, arriving late from a northern city that had snow!
The gumbo was great, wine well priced and service great.
A little disappointed in the steamed shrimp, it was a little bland. As compared to our last visit but then we were very late at night.
Great value and very very good food.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Really don't miss this.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

we started with grilled oyster dozen which were not overcooked and had a lovely crust of parmesan and bread crumbs--broiled really not grilled. Excellent wine by the glass $4.00 at 5 pm. I had the small seafood gumbo and took 1/2 of it home. hubby had the sausage, chicken gumbo--I didn't think it was as good as mine. The "crispy garlic bread" wasn't crispy it wasn't worth eating. But overall it was a good experience and I'm glad we went. We were considering going to the BlacK Oyster and might try that tonight.

Visited February 2013
Tomball, Texas
“Yummy! Cajun Approved!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

My (Cajun) husband and I ate lunch here recently, and it was such a great choice! I based it off of Trip Advisor reviews, and we certainly weren't steered wrong.

The place is tiny and tight inside, so be prepared to sit close to the people eating beside you, with the exception of a few round tables in the front, and several towards the back kitchen area. We chose to sit at the bar, and really the only negative that I can mention, is that it took awhile for anyone to recognize us and take our drink orders. Once our waitress took over, service was good.

Now for the food! The menu is not large, and is obviously seafood based, but the items consist of the tried and true, and unusual items (to me, anyway). The portions are very generous, so keep that in mind when ordering.

We started with their chilled shrimp with cocktail sauce. We ordered ten, and the shrimp were large, perfectly seasoned and cooked to perfection. For our entrees, my husband got the mixed seafood gumbo, and I ordered the BBQ shrimp. I was expecting grilled shrimp, with BBQ sauce, and what I got was more of a shrimp stew, with a slight hint of BBQ sauce in the stew/roux. Be forewarned that the shrimp still have their tails, and the heads are also in the stew. My mistake for not understanding, or asking questions about the dish beforehand.

Both portions were large, and mine came with bread, which was very good dipped in the stew. My husband ordered garlic bread on the side. Had I known that the shrimp in my dish still had their parts, I probably would have chosen something else, simply because it's messy and clumsy to eat. My mother-in-law cooks this way, so I know it's normal, but it's not my favorite. My husband on the other hand, absolutely LOVED his gumbo, and he knows his gumbo. Mine tasted fantastic, but was a little more difficult to eat.

All in all, it was really good and we look forward to a return visit!

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“so good!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Start with the char-grilled oysters!! They are to die for!! The seafood gumbo is also amazing!!! Great service and great food!!

Visited February 2013
Waller, Texas
“Welll, we came back and I can finally give it 5 stars”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

My first review of this place was 3 stars. I was not a fan of their gumbo, so we decided to try something else. This time, we started off with a dozen oysters on the half shell. Wow. They were fresh, tasty and just simply wonderful. Horseradish was perfect! We were going to the theater that evening, so we wanted something fairly quick. My partner had the iceburg wedge with lump crab. Amazing is all I can say. It was full of buttery, yummy deliciousness. I had the Big Easy BBQ shrimp. Where have you been all my life? Full of head on shrimp as big as my hand! The sauce it was served in, well, I know you are "supposed" to dip your bread in it, but I was pretty much just eating with my spoon. It was absolutely wonderful. Will so go back...again and again and again. Not sure if I will do the gumbo again, but I so will try just about everything else on the menu.

• Visited February 2013