“One of our favorites!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Late Night
Galveston, Texas
“One of our favorites!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

This is me and my husbands favorite place to go out and eat. They give you so much food for a reasonable price and it is amazing. Everyone should go and try it. I'm not into seafood so that should hopefully say a lot. Their boiled shrimp salad, chicken po boy, sweet potato fries are awesome. And my husband loves the fried shrimp and catfish po boy as well. Again, its one of our absolute favorites!

Visited September 2012

80% Recommend
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Best seafood in Texas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I have eaten here several times and it is always excellent. The service and atmosphere is second to none. If you are in the area you must stop there and eat.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Best casual seafood in Galveston!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

I had stuffed shrimp, excellent! My dinner came with fries and hush puppies, had cajun new potatoes instead of coleslaw. Also had a side of crab balls, so good! My husbabd had 12 fried shrimp dinner, super fresh. Each of our meals was about $12. Very casual dining, order at the counter, inside and outside seating. It's located in a slightly sketchy neighborhood but well worth it! We ate here twice this past week and definitely will again.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Long Island, NY
“Elegant food with a local flavor!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

A truly delightful lunch with reasonable prices and comfortable indoor and outdoor seating. The ordering line moves quickly and there is plenty of seating to accommodate the crowds who seem to flock to this neighborhood eatery.

I had the Shrimp Po-Boy Sandwich. The shrimp itself was tender and juicy. Their homemade cocktail sauce was terrific! My son had the Catfish Po-Boy Sandwich. He loved it. With drinks our total bill was significantly under $20.

I highly recommend this local establishment!

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Houston, Texas
“Go Where The Locals Eat!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Usually when we drive down to Galveston from Houston and we have friends with us from out of town, we figure they'd prefer one of the Seawall touristy places. What were we thinking!!??

We decided to take them to the place with an actual feel of the Island, where the locals go for their seafood and spend less money. And we all loved, loved, loved it.

We walked in and the tables were occupied by locals. You knew because the owner of the place came to most of the patrons and called them by name. Ten or so members of the high school band came in wearing their band shirts and ordered at the counter. You KNOW if the high school kids choose it as their hang out after school it's got something going for it.

The meals were very reasonably priced compared to the tourist traps over by the harbor. Four of us ate and had beers for about $60...inlcuding a big plate of 20 nicely prepared crab claws for a starter. Good and meaty, not dried out and tasty for a start! I don't know if they are on the menu all the time because they were on a special print out taped over the cash register.

My fried oyster meal was fantastic! Really plump, clean and lightly breaded goodness. You get seasoned fries (which coulda been warmer) and a nice sized side of cole slaw with each meal. The fried shrimp was butterflied and also breaded well in breadcrumbs. They don't cover up the flavor of the food with some heavy breading. The shrimp weren't huge but you got a couple good bites off each piece.

The friend who got the fish filets said it was some of the best tasting tartar sauce she'd ever had. She's not a big seafood eater but really enjoyed her fish filets. The breading was crispy and the meat was light, not greasy at all and flaky. The hushpuppies were about the size of a big marble. I got plenty of jalapeno flavor in mine. I ate a few off friends' plates who didn't care for the pepper heat.

Look, it's an order at the counter place. They have beer and wine and soft drinks. You toss your own trash. You don't have a view of the bay or pelican decor. What you have is a mom and pop shop making decent food for local folks and tourist people who are tired of spending $25 for soggy shrimp and $15 rum drinks.

We'll be going back every visit to the Island.

Visited September 2012