“Rude owner. Zagat rated restaurants do not serve stale hamburger buns.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Mosquito Cafe

Ranked #5 of 241 Restaurants in Galveston
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dessert, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
“Rude owner. Zagat rated restaurants do not serve stale hamburger buns.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We arrived at the restaurant at 12:30 on a Sunday afternoon. We were unsure if the restaurant was open until a worker waved for us to come in. The restaurant was absolutely empty and we were informed that there had been a 30 minute power outage. They seated us in the back corner which had zero air. We were moved to another table which had hurricane force winds. We asked to lower the ceiling fan and was told the owner said no! I waited on line to order and was told the bill was $99.58. There were 6 of us and I read on the menu that $18% gratuity was added to parties of 6 or more. The receipt did not reflect a tip was added but it asked. Yes it was. 18% for limited service is insulting and to expect a double tip.... When I asked the owner about turning the fan down again he said no. I told him that I just paid $100.00 for a meal and that this was bull.... He told me he didn't like my attitude. We moved to another table. I ordered the Mosquito Burger for $12, yes, that is $12 for a hamburger. The hamburger itself was okay, not $12 okay and the bun was stale! The owner himself asked how our food was and replaced my hamburger. Too little too late. Zagat rated restaurant?

The waitress and waiter were very nice and helpful. The owner rude along with the lady at the cash register. I feel

We will not be back!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
James C, Owner at Mosquito Cafe, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
We moved this party of 6 three times (not easy to do in a small busy café) to try to comfortably accommodate them but whatever my staff and I did was not good enough for one particular gentleman in the group. The first seating spot was too hot for the group because the power had just come back on after being off for an hour, the second seating spot was too cold for the group because the air conditioning was trying to recover to bring the dining room to a comfortable temperature for all of the guests, and at this point this gentleman felt it was appropriate and acceptable to swear at us and order us around treating us very poorly. The surrounding customers and my staff didn't appreciate the rudeness so it was calmly addressed. Our half pound certified angus beef cheeseburger is only $8.99 and the bun was fresh, it was buttered and toasted which he may have mistaken for a stale bun. I replaced the cheeseburger without hesitation to help satisfy this gentleman but I guess there was no satisfying him. We tried very hard to make sure this turned out to be a positive experience for the group but apparently we must try harder next time.

Houston, Texas
“Great Brunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

This place is adorable and the food is great! I've been here 3 times already and would definitely recommend it!

Visited July 2012
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Great Little Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

We stopped in for a coffee and pastry and both were delicious! There were several locals there having breakfast and all the food looked and smelled wonderful. We sat on the patio area which was private and very clean. All of the staff was very friendly and helpful. Unfortunately we found this place on our last day so wasn't able to go back again, however they are on our list to visit when we go back to Galvaston. Very cute place with great atmosphere. Try it.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Houston
“Breakfast”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Pricy for what you get and they got our order wrong PLUS they didn't offer to correct their mistake. I felt "herded through" BUT, the food was tasty. Keeping in mind that it is difficult to screw up an egg.

Visited August 2012
Houston, Texas
“Wonderful spot for breakfast!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

I love local places and I've been reading reviews on this place for months just knowing I had to try it. I had breakfast here this morning with my husband and it did not disappoint. I had the crust-less quiche which has spinach, cheese and Italian sausage in it which was even better than I expected. I got that with a side of roasted potatoes which were more "pan fried" than roasted in my opinion but that only made them better than expected. I got an orange juice but it tasted as if it were mixed with papaya, I don't know but it tasted fresh squeezed. My husband got the corned beef hash tacos which came with a sweet salsa. Also delicious. Even though they had no espresso machine, my hubby was very happy with the coffee here. So many places have crap coffee but not Mosquito Cafe. The decor is also kind of hip and trendy and the service is nice too. It's the type of place where you order at the counter and someone brings you your food. They also had a lot of delicious looking desserts at the counter I wouldn't mind trying next time I'm in town. I definitely not going to IHOP again for breakfast in Galveston, that's for sure, I am coming here! Heck I may even try lunch or dinner too.

• Visited August 2012