“Great Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Americas Best Value Inn & Suites

Save Saved
You added Americas Best Value Inn & Suites to your Saves list
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6302 Seawall Blvd., Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77551 (Formerly Comfort Inn & Suites)   |
Ranked #43 of 49 hotels in Galveston
Cypress, Texas
“Great Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this Hotel late in the season of 2012. The room was clean and the staff was great. The breakfast was good since we love the make them yourself waffles. Anything we asked the staff for we got immediately. would recommend and would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

31 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Cedarburg, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We knew we were in trouble when we drove up and the "Comfort" was torn off the front, leaving only the "Inn & Suites." I'd requested adjoining rooms at the time I called for reservations but did not get them. When I saw that my sister had that extra door, I went and asked if we could have adjoining rooms or at least if I could be moved to the room next door. She first said, "There are no adjoining rooms." When I pointed out that the room my sister was in definitely had the door leading to the next room she said that that room was taken. Any others? No. This despite the empty parking lot.

My sister and I each had a room and got to compare the awfulness. Mine had cups of cigarette butts on the "terrace" - a rusted porch overlooking the parking lot. None of the lamps worked in her room. Neither clock worked. The bathrooms were either covered in black mold or had black paint as a fake grout. When my sister took a shower, it took almost 5 minutes for the water to warm up. Then it took a super-human effort to pull the handle to get the shower to work and when it did, the water shot out the sides of the shower head. She finally got a tiny bit of spray (while the rest rolled down the walls) but discovered that the drain didn't work when she stepped into about 6 inches of water in the tub - the cold water of course.

When I complained I was told "I can send someone to clean the room." When I asked for a different room I was told "they are all the same." On the way back to the room I noticed the "Meeting Room" with an open door. It was filled with junk. The place smelled of mold, cigarettes and heaven knows what else.

We peeked at the breakfast bar on our way out to the IHOP. Gross. The few folks who'd braved the breakfast were complaining that the only thing to eat was corn flakes or white bread with jelly. I grabbed a cup of OJ to take my meds and it did taste faintly of oranges.

This isn't a matter of updating. This place should be torn down. Thanks goodness we were only there for one night.

Room Tip: Get a room somewhere else. Anywhere else.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

Rooms are not clean and smell like mold and mildew. The first room was awful...floors were not clean and it smelled terrible. The staff agreed to let us change rooms. Second room was a little better but not much. The second room was not clean and still smelled of mold and mildew. Breakfast was a no go. A staff member and guest argued about the poor quality of the breakfast and hotel. We went across the street to Golden Corral and enjoyed a wonderful breakfast. Location of hotel is good...it is right across from the sea wall. However, spend the extra money and go elsewhere. I will never go back to this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2012
Mesquite, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

This hotel really could use some work or updating. Reservation was made online and upon arrival, an extra $2 was charged for the inroom safe, even though we had no plans to use it. But it came with the room, so we had to pay it. Once in the room, we discovered there is no way to open the safe, no instructions.
Our room #312 is filled with mildew - on the ceiling in the bathroom, on the walls, the light fixtures, the pictures on the walls. The lights flicker, there is no light in the sitting area, the door will not lock without great force to close it.
The ice machine on our floor does not work. The vending machine takes exact change ONLY, but does not tell you how much items cost. 2 quarters got stuck in it. Went to a vending machine on another floor to get bottled water; after putting in $1, found out the water was empty and the only option was a soft drink.
The indoor pool is under construction, so we could not enjoy that.
The continental breakfast was ridiculous. The coffee had to be warmed in the microwave. The cereal was stale. The waffle area was a mess and the syrup bottle was empty.
When we returned to our room after a day in the sun, our room keys would not work and had to be re-programmed.
I should have turned around and walked out when I saw a bug crawling up the wall behind the guy at the front desk and he said, "that happens when the doors keep opening and closing." But my reservation was made online and was non-refundable. Thank goodness we are leaving tomorrow!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Americas Best Value Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!