“Avoid the Safari room” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Avenue O Bed and Breakfast

and 1 more site!
You added Avenue O Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
Avenue O Bed and Breakfast
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   2323 Avenue O, Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77550   |
Ranked #7 of 13 Galveston B&B and Inns
Grand Bend, Ontario
“Avoid the Safari room”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This bed and breakfast is run by a lovely couple and they serve a good breakfast. The main house is charming, and the rooms there are probably fine. However, we stayed in the Safari Room which is a redone storage area in the back, beside their garage. The decor was cute with giraffe motifs and the like. However, rather than do insulation and proper drywall, they have just tacked up and draped fabric to cover the ceiling beams and part of the walls.

The pluses for us were that it was on the ground level with an exterior door, and involved no stairs, so it was easy to take our little dog in and out to the grassy garden area without disturbing others. And it was very quiet being at the back of the property.

The minuses however were many. When we walked in the room smelled of mould. Everything in the room was damp. The carpet was actually wet, and when I walked around the room in my socks they were quickly soaked. Even the drapes and ceiling fabrics were damp. We opened the window to air it out but that only helped a little. There was water dripping on the floor behind the bathroom sink. The wiring for the A/C appeared to be home done and wasn't to code (220V can be dangerous).The water saver toilet did not flush "things" down, and took 10 minutes to refill before it would flush again. The bed was terrible - so soft we fell together in the middle. The houskeeping left much to be desired - our little dog pulled out candies and garbage from under the bed.

There was flooding from a hurricane a few years ago that damaged many houses in Galveston so I wonder if this room had been underwater at that time, and they had not been able to dry it out?? Not sure what the problem was. After 3 nights we were glad to leave.

Room Tip: Stay in the main house. Avoid the Safari room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Port Neches, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I needed a stress free weekend. Just a short drive for us. It was a nice walk to the Sea wall. The beach was clean and the people very friendly. Connie was so sweet and what a great breakfast. We will be back.

• Stayed January 2013
Bossier City, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Needing a quick respite from the not happening Thanksgiving, a trip to Galveston was truly in order. Gulf time and it was just perfect. Chose this BnB because of location. 4 blocks from the Gulf. I had not read the reviews. I love the place. The breakfasts were outstanding and she is well aware of a "gluten-free diet". My gluten free cookie in my room was also such a welcoming treat. Connie is a great hostess. My room was the European and was upstairs and so quiet. Yes, their are window a/c & heat units. Know what, after that last Hurricane, I am surprised anything is left standing. My room had a small kitchen, perfect for opening that bottle of wine to share. Too much good food in Galveston to utilize the kitchen. Beautiful, comfortable bed with great sheets & comforter. Yes, could the corners be cleaner, sure. I was there for the bed and the water. And downtown Galveston has been refurbished. Enjoy.

Room Tip: European room is to the back of the property. Very quiet.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We stayed in the South Pacific room. Very large room, King size bed, false fireplace (but inviting none the less), very comfy bed, linens and sheets clean. VERY quiet. Breakfasts were outstanding..first morning Artichoke and Red Pepper Strata (my favorite) and the second morning was a Bananas Foster breakfast bread topped with very sweet caramel and bananas.
It is in a slightly downtrodden part of Galveston and to be honest we were close enough to walk to the Pier but opted not to. The house was at one time a very beautiful home with wood floors but it has all seen better days. The Christmas decorations were lovely. Taking in account the house was built in the 1920's and has gone thru it's share of storms, but the inside of the house does need better upkeep. In our room, there was lots of peeling paint and wallpaper, dirty doors, thick dust under things that obviously had not been cleaned under in a long time. There was a window air conditioner unit which did keep the room cool however, there was a very musty scent that never went away in the whole room. There was a nice balcony but the chairs outside were filty. I think many of the issues could have been solved with a a bit more cleaning and a can of paint, there was also some rotting wood in the bathroom, the cabinets were dirty, the toilet sometimes acted as if it was not going to flush but I must admit the worse was the ceiling in the shower..it was covered in mold. Granted it is an old house but that is really poor house-keeping. I noticed several people mentioned dirty plates/silverware so I paid close attention..the first day everything was sparkling clean but the second morning when I picked my clean fork up it was very sticky and the knife looked as if it might have been used to cut something else first. So it was a mentionable but solvable issue. Connie, the innkeeper, was very helpful, hospitable and even had a sign made up in a frame welcoming us which was a nice touch. I should add, the room had everything you might want..ironing board, iron, wine glasses, bottle opener, DVDs to borrow..all the nice touches including homemade cookies in your room every evening.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
La Porte, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

I was looking for a resonably priced but not your typical hotel room in Glaveston when I happened upon the Ave O B&B. It was a great find! It has seen its share of wear and tear but overall it was a nice place. It was quiet, the bed was really comfy, and the room was quaint if a little on the shabby chic side. What was truly over the top was the wonderful breakfasts!!! We stayed two nights and the breakfasts were both phenomenal and it was so fun to sit and share breakfast with the other guests. We also very much enjoyed the back yard - overgrown and full of flowers, exotic plants, gazebo, butterflies, hummingbirds - we had coffee outside each morning and it was lovely. The proprietress, Connie, was friendly, helpful, and organized!! She made sure we had everything we needed without being intrusive. This place is a great value - close to the new Pleasure Pier and the Strand!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

Overall: this is a quiet B & B. I don't know if I would have picked it again since it has window A/C units. I did notice some dirty dishes but not to the degree that other people complained. Connie is pretty nice, she mostly you do your own thing and I thought the cookies in the room were a perfect touch. Don't expect to sit in the yard much, the mosquitoes were wicked bad! They were not a problem on our private deck though.
The breakfasts: HUGE and delicious, perhaps a little too much so... I'm not really used to starting my day out with a personal breakfast cake. It is really tasty.
We have been to some other B & Bs that were really upscale in the northeast that we were comparing to, but it is a good deal and perhaps a good way to escape the hardcore partiers/ noise on Galveston. We really liked the jacuzzi in our room (the Rainforest room) and the private deck. But I wouldn't come here for a honeymoon or anything.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

Not in the nicest part of town, there was some sort of weird bar on the next block. We rented 3 rooms (the euro suit, the sunshine room and the rainforest room). There was dust everywhere and the peeling wallpaper in the sitting room was painted over with green paint. The beds were comfortable. The room AC never really got the place cold enough.
THREE HUGE ISSUES:
in the "european suite" there is no fan in the bathroom. So, bathroom smells soon permeate the small space. Take a room spray if you are staying there or she should provide...
TWO- ALL of the dishes and cutlery was always dirty. the glasses had lip marks on them. The oj glasses were so worn and filthy it was kind of gross. We found a glass in the sitting room, it must have been there for a long while (it did not smell very good...)
I didn't feel to great eating off of any of the plates or cutlery.
THIRD- the breakfasts are HUGE CALORIE BOMBS. Ok, I give her points for trying but an entire loaf of bread dredged in butter pecans and sugar for breakfast (french toast) plus sugar laden fruit. yuck. I suppose you could ask her before you go what exactly is going to be for breakfast. Most in my party didn't eat it. to much sugar.
NEEDS A HUGE CLEANING by a cleaning service.... Ice in the room would be nice too (there is a little fridge but the ice part really needed some attention plus there was no ice tray). dishes in the room were filthy.

Room Tip: take room deodorizer if you stay in the euro suite
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Avenue O Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!