“Birthday Get away” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Inn at the Waterpark

You added Inn at the Waterpark to your Saves list
Inn at the Waterpark
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2525 Jones Drive, Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77554 (Formerly Brentwood Inn and Suites)   |
Special Price
20% off room rate
Ranked #28 of 49 Hotels in Galveston
Houston, TX :(
“Birthday Get away”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed 08/15 - 18th....Room was VERY spacious, came with small fridge, micro-wave and flat screen tv. Free WIFI..cost of the room was $359 for nearly 4 days...where it would of cost us $650 for 2 days at the Holiday Inn Resort

There was a continental breakfast that had cereal, coffee, juices, milk, muffins and a machine that popped out pancakes (kids loved this). The area for the breakfast was very small (right next to the lobby)...so when it gets crowded, it gets VERY crowded.

This facility also has a pool, nice size, only issues we had were no bathrooms (you have to walk back to the Lobby, across the parking lot to use the bathroom)...and the pool could of used a little cleaning. Also there was some issue with the cardkey entry.

I loved the fact that it was close to everything and yet just far enough not to be so loud. This place is a really great place to get away with kids and pets. I had my mother and two kids ( ages 5 & 7) and we fit in the room with plenty of space for 2 more people. The only issue I had with the room was the noise above. You can hear people walking running above your head.

I did not see a fitness room, however, they do have a laundry room (which is not free). And free put-put, which is best to play when the sun has set some, as there is not shade.

Room Tip: I always ask for a room with the Garage parking.....these rooms are newer and updated...but remember...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
INNWPGM, General Manager at Inn at the Waterpark, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Dear VSPFUN,

Thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay at the Inn at the Waterpark. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your birthday. All rooms come with a mini fridge, Microwave, flat panel tv with basic cable and HBO, and complimentary WIFI through out the property.

The weekends when we are filled it does get crowed in the lobby for the continental breakfast, We know have the restaurant that is opened and they do provide a breakfast buffet on the weekends (at a cost) but for guests that are looking for a hot breakfast and do not mind paying, it is a good alternative.

Thank you for your review and considering the Inn at the Waterpark, while visiting Galveston Island and we look forward to welcoming you and your family on your next visit.

Yours in Service,
Jon A. Roy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

The only thing that could make it better is if it was on the beach. Still, one left turn and a straight shot to the beach. We stayed in the new section of the hotel. We got the handicapped room and it was huge. Very clean. Front desk check in was easy and friendly. It was my children's first trip to the beach and we were very happy.

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Ms. Vogle,

Thank you for providing feed back on your stay with us. We are so pleased that read that you and your family had a great stay an the Inn at the Waterpark and your childeren were able to enjoy our beaches for the first time. We look forward to welcoming your family back to Galveston ISland and to the Inn at the Waterpark.

Yours in Service,
Wichita, Kansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

We had 4 girls in a 2 bed hotel room for a weekend getaway. It's a great location if you plan to visit the water park and moody gardens because they are next door. They didn't change ours bed sheets and didn't refill the towels and bathroom amenities. The parking was always full, be prepared to walk. Lastly, the free breakfast is a complete mess! They created one long line to get the cereal and pancakes. People will get 3 or more pancakes each time, I stood in line for 20 minutes for cereal. I wouldn't stay here again.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Kimberly S.

Thank you for your comments and please accept my most sincere apologies for what was less than an enjoyable stay. While we normally do a better job supplying our guest with what they need to enjoy their stay.

Your commentary regarding the breakfast area, we have changed it around a bit to help with the flow, and on the weekends the Jungle Restaurant on site offers a full breakfast buffet (at a charge) for those who would like more than a continental breakfast or a less crowed atmosphere.

While we would understand your feelings to the contrary, please know that we would welcome the opportunity to win back your trust.

Jon a. Roy
Huffman Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

The location is very close to Moody Gardens and the water park. But... The room I stayed in only had a shower stall and the curtain was too small to cover the opening so the floor got wet when you showered. Carpet was stained, room smelled, the shower made a god awful noise from the water pipe when showering as well. Housekeeping did not leave any towels, rags or replace amenities each day. I had to call for them. Housekeeping didn't refresh coffee packs either. Although the young man at the front desk was extremely nice, that is the only good thing I can say about this place.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Chihuahuamomma1,

Thank you for your feedback regarding you stay at the Inn at the Waterpark and I sincerely apologize we did not meet you expectations. I was pleased to read your remarks concerning the front desk .

It does appear much of your disappointment with us was housekeeping issue, Your comments will be shared with that department head so that these issue will not be repeated in the future.

Your comments are greatly appreciated, and we would welcome the opportunity to gain your trust.

Coppell, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

The thought that came to mind staying at this property was an example of ownership collecting as much money as possible from the guests while putting the least amount of money back into the property. The outside of the property (despite pretty pictures on the Internet) is in serious need of a paint job. Inside the guestrooms, the mattresses were terribly uncomfortable and the sheets would not stay on the bed. The bathtub was disgusting. Also, inside the bathroom was a big dead bug in the skylight!!.

The breakfast area had a very limited breakfast (if you want eggs, sausage, bacon head to the local IHOP). The lady working in the breakfast area was more interested checking her iPhone for messages than keeping the area clean. The breakfast area is setup terribly with long lines and limited seating.

The putt-putt golf area was in disrepair with the PVC pipes on the course cracking and the greens ripped up in parts. My daughter had to reach in one pipe to retrieve the golf ball. Many of the golf clubs were broken.

The only positives for the hotel were the swimming pool, which was decent and a strong wifi connection in both the guest rooms and the common area. The employees at the front desk on checkout were friendly.

The General Manager sent a generic post stay message thanking me for my stay. I responded with a list of my concerns and never received a response back.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Bill from Texas,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay and expressing your concerns, we have been in the process of making changes to our property, starting with the guest rooms. Now that most of the work is completed in the guest rooms, we are starting to address the exterior of the property including the complimentary mini golf course. I apologize that you did not recieve a responsethis time, although I do respond to email comments.

We do offer a complimentary continental breakfast consisting of Coffee and Juice which is available all day long, and from 6am - 9am we add pancakes, assorted cereal, yogurt, danishes, bagels, and toast. On the weekends the Jungle our onsite restaurant offers a full breakfast buffet (at a charge) for those who would like eggs and breakfast meats.

I was glad to hear you enjoyed the Free property wide WIFI and the pool.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

I recently took my family on vacation to Galveston, TX. We wanted to stay at the San Luis, or the Holiday Inn resort, but they were all booked. I had found this hotel online with mixed reviews. So I decided to see what the place was like for myself.

I had made reservations to check in on Monday, July 29, 2013 and check out Wednesday July 31, 2013, but we decided to go one day earlier. Not knowing if there were any rooms available to accommodate us, we took a chance and called the inn at the waterpark. Much to our surprise, the front desk representative (fdr) was very helpful and polite. We were able to check in one day early and they charged the same price as what was quoted online. When we got there to check in, the two fdr's working were busy and we waited. When we were helped, the fdr was very polite and helpful and answered any questions we had. To make this long story short, I will list the pros and cons of this hotel.

Pros: expected service for a 2-3 star hotel, which means don't expect a five star treatment from the front desk representatives. They answer questions and help when asked.
Rooms, for the newer hotel addition that is above the parking garage, is slightly bigger than your average 2-3 star hotel. Air conditioning worked well, beds were queen sized, television was descent (30" flat screen with multiple channels), fridge and microwave worked well. Putt putt golf was a plus for the family. On site restaurant is available.

Cons: make sure to bring mosquito repellent, if you plan on playing putt putt golf (may have been the stagnant puddle of water near the road that housed mosquito eggs). The putt putt golf course could be taken better care of. We got several bites while playing putt putt along with just going to and from the car to the room.
Breakfast area gets packed and long lines form waiting for breakfast, or just coffee, and it's your typical continental breakfast. I think the lines formed because of the pancake machine that requires people to push the button to make one pancake. ***HINT*** if you push the button multiple times it makes pancakes repeatedly; therefore, cutting down on the line.*** Trying to find seating area is tough when the dining area is full. I just got coffee and went back to the room, but the coffee was good. Onsite restaurant closes at 9pm, which was a bummer since we were out swimming in the gulf, shopping and got hungry around 9 when we got back to the hotel after having a late lunch at Yagas (later review). They also ran out of towels and we didnt have any for our second day until housekeeping had some washed. We used the ones we had, but didnt have a bath mat, hand towels, or even wash cloths.

Even after all that, I must say the price we paid for the hotel being in Galveston was appropriate. The hotel isn't near the beach, possibly 1 mile away, but is close to Moody Gardens and Schlitterbahn waterpark.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Steveh1993,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback about your recent stay with us. I was pleased to to read your kind remarks about the hotel and our associates. I apreciate your comments on the putt - putt golf course we are actually looking to have that amenity refurbished and back in play for summer season 2014, and the mosquitos are an issue essecially after a good rain.

Weekends the breakfast area does get busy for the complimentary continental breakfast, the jungle restaurant onsite does offer a full breakfast buffet (at a cost).

Thank you for choosing the Inn at the Waterpark, and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Galveston Island and the Inn at the Waterpark.

Your in Service,
Abbeville, Louisiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

This place is entirely over rated!!! I am not one to complain, but I would definitely not recommend this place for any family to stay, not even an enemy. I wish i had taken pictures to show the filth, but i was so ready to get out of there, any chance i could of, we did. It was the best price for the amenities they supposedly had, but boy were we in for a rude awakening. FYI, No elevator, so if you go with women as i did, that pack a lot, be prepared to haul it all up some stairs.
My wife, daughter and I showed up on a Friday and left on the following Monday. The room was not recently renovated. The carpets and paint seemed to be the only thing, somewhat new. Though the carpet was descent, it seemed as though they simply put it over the old. Light switches did not fit properly (far enough if a child were to stick their finger in, they could), the king size bed was so warn out, my wife and I had no choice but to sleep in the middle (not a bad thing, but very uncomfortable, had loud plastic wrapping on them as well), refrigerator was wobbly, bathroom was ridiculously small, and the sofa that was supposedly, suppose to be in the room, was not, so we were forced to spend more money to get a roll away bed put in. The roll away bed took 6 hours, 2 phone calls, and one visit to the check in counter to get.

Even though you should wear shoes at all times, my experiences with resorts/hotels are that they are very clean. Upon going to the counter to check on the status of the long awaited bed, I stepped on something in the lobby that cut my foot (believe it was glass) hurt but wasn't bad, and when walking back to my room i also noticed on the cement walkway, a trail of what looked like old blood, going down the opposite way to another room. needless to say, my shoes never left my feet again!

Back to the bath room, that was an entirely new story. The floor tiles all seemed to have over spray on them (filthy), had missing grout, were loose, and very stained with filth. The shower had a nasty cover on the floor of it that was peeling up. the drain did not drain and was open to filth, almost filled up while showering. The fiberglass shower was flaking as if it was chipping paint and had a big hole in the wall. There were numerous half [--] patch jobs on walls and doors and you can see where they painted around old fixtures that had been replaced. I am really not sure if the great stay was in the newer addition or the older section, but i would definitely not stay here again.

All of the issues were told to the staff, whom which informed me that they would be addressed, but they never were. On top of that, when i checked out, they had the audacity to ask if i enjoyed my stay. I told them a quick NO, and informed them of all the same issues i informed them of before and they said "We would have changed rooms if we knew you had issues", i simply replied, "I did inform you, you told me you would take care of it, and you never did". They didn't even wave the roll away bed, that was the least they could have done.
Oh, forgot to mention, the complementary breakfast is not much at all and the room for that area, is definitely not large enough for the amount of people they can accommodate. You had to wait in lines like the water park then bring your food to your room because it was overcrowded. The put put green is free, but you can see why, it is in shambles. Didn't even finish one game, and put put is one reason i booked it. The moody gardens addition i added online, you have to ask for it they day you check in or they wont book it for you!!!!! We almost didn't have tickets, and i booked it 6 months in advance.

Price paid per night : $171.33 + $10 (roll away bed, wouldn't have needed if sofa was present)
Price worth paying per night: $50.00 (60 tops) free extra bed.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Inn at the Waterpark? Share your experiences!