“Average” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson Express Galveston

Howard Johnson Express Galveston
You added Howard Johnson Express Galveston to your Saves list
Howard Johnson Express Galveston
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8216 Harborside Dr., Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77554   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #37 of 49 Hotels in Galveston
ARDMORE
“Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Our room was clean , but had a mustie smell, TV needed to be upgraded..programming of channels were good..lighting was a little dim.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Tulsa, OK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

My friend and I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights. It wasn't bad and it is really affordable. The gentleman behind the desk was very nice. It was clean and we rested well. We didn't spend much time in the hotel at all because we were on the beach or on the strand. If you want a cheap place to stay for a short visit this is your place!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

the hotel was very good.such a clean and sweet room.good breakfast.very peaceful and good service...very close to the sea wall amazing experience.

Room Tip: every room is amazing
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

We needed a place to stay at the last minute since a family member was admitted into the hospital. We thought this would be closer - not really. The cost per night was equivalent to places on the seawall, so not a good value. Thin walls, good mattresses, ok towels and good room cleanliness. Quite unusual to enter a hotel room thru the bathroom. No windows in front so you can watch your car. The area the hotel is in is the downer. There's a stagnent canal running behind the hotel that provides all the mosquitoes you can imagine. Across the parking lot is a fueling station where you can hear the semi trucks idleing and brakes whining at all hours. Don't worry about needing a wake up call - the 2 train tracks running behind the place alongside the canal will rumble your room and sit you up when the horns blow. And if you're concerned about EM radioactivity, there are high power transmission lines overhead along the front. Breakfast is barely basic fare with everything crowded into an area the size of a large closet. Coffee was watered down. The desk manager was rude and was busy clearing his throat and spitting into a sink while we tried to eat. Basically - only stay here if you can't find anywhere else and don't want to drive to Houston.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Fremont, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

We stayed last year in January the night before we went on a cruise. Not the best rooms in the world...not the worst either. Our room was 205. We had 2 queen sized beds. Some where around 3:30 am I was woken up by a mans voice in my ear saying in my ear telling me that it was time to wake up. It wasn't whispered, so I assumed it was my husband telling me it was time to get ready. He slept in the bed by the window and I slept in the bed by the bathroom. I opened my eyes and it was still dark out. I looked at my husband and he was still sleeping. I looked around to see if someone else was in the room and I saw nothing. Thinking I was dreaming, I layed back down and tried to go to sleep. All of a sudden I couldn't move. I felt like I was paralyzed. Finally, I calmed myself down and was able to start wiggling my toes and feet and then everything else started to work. I fell back to sleep, and this happened two or three more times between 3:30 and 6:00 am. The last time it happened it really creeped me, because I tried calling for my husband and I couldn't make a sound. I know most of you think you would have been creeped out the first time it happened, but I honestly thought I was dreaming. So, when I was finally able to move. I hopped out of bed, looked around for this man. No one! I went to the other bed told my husband to move over, crawled in and snuggled up against him and put his arm around me. I slept soundly until 8:30. Why did this happen to me? I don't know. The only person I told was my husband. It was a man's voice in my ear, very close, I could feel it. Older, maybe late 50's early 60's. None menacing. I still remember it like it was yesterday and it's been a year and a half. I'm not looking for anything, but would like to know if anyone else has had any experiences in this hotel, or knows of any history of the area before it was turned into a hotel. All in all it was very interesting.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012 via mobile

We liked the breakfast that's free and we got in late and slept well. Good place for a short stay, WiFi not that good better places closer to the seawall

• Stayed May 2012
Dallas area
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

'Stayed here one night for a quick weekend getaway to the Island. We didn't stay on the Sea Wall because we were trying to cut costs this trip. I got the room through Orbitz for $150.00 (total). We were mostly looking for some place cold and clean after a long day on the beach. It is located on the bay side of the island (right next to the Causeway). About the best thing I can say is that it was indeed cold and clean! Its not fancy; paper cups, little bitty bath soap, not too fluffy towels. But the beds were comfortable, the shower had strong pressure, the tub drained well. There were only three towels but when I went to the office to request more they were happy to oblige. Courteous staff. I would say this motel falls in the "ya get whatcha pay for" category. This isn't the spot for a romantic getaway! But it worked for grandma, the kids and the grandkidlet to crash after a fun beach day! The internet worked very well. We didn't eat breakfast here so I can't comment on that. Note: NO SWIMMING POOL!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Howard Johnson Express Galveston? Share your experiences!