“Submarine and Battleship - Self Tour” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 47 attractions in Galveston
Type: State Parks
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Scenic park on Pelican Island offers scenic views of the Port of Galveston.
Grapevine, Texas
“Submarine and Battleship - Self Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2011

This actually exceed my expectations. There are two ships a submarine (1940s) and a battleship[ (1950s) and it is a self guided tour which was neat to just wander around the vessels. We arrived early on a Wednesday and we were the only ones there which was fantastic and once we left there were only a 10+ people there. It is definitely worth $6 parking and $5 per person just to see these unique vessels and the lack of a crowd made it all the better.

Visited March 2011

Houston, TX
10 attraction reviews
“Both Ships Open at Seawolf Park!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2010

Previous reviews had posted that the Cavalla was not open following Ike. We went today (Nov 6 2010), and the Cavalla was in great shape! The Stewart is a little more haggard due to its exposure. The gate / ticket office is being rebuilt, and the temporary restrooms inside the Cavalla / Stewart gates were fantastic! It would appear that the Cavalla's hatches held back Ike very well, as the inside of the sub was in wonderful shape, all shined and polised, with switch plates and panel tags restored and readable, and many of the controls and equipment well labeled as to function and purpose. Go and support the preservation of these historical treasures!

Charlotte, NC
47 attraction reviews
“Submarine Museum - destroyed by Storms.. Only the USS STEWART remains..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2010

As the Submarine Museum is no longer there, destroyed by Ike, the only thing that remains in the Seawolf Park is the USS STEWART. We were surprised that the official Galveston website has not been updated about the loss of the Submarine Museum, but neither is the Railway Museum mentioned as damaged by the Ike storm. Still, our visit to USS Strewart was worth it as it is a destroyer escort - one of only 3 in the world. As it was raining, mid January, we were the only visitors, so we were in no hurry and read all the information & just wonder around. Impressive, but probably overpriced (parking + entry fee) which is probably the same as before when it included the submarine...

La Porte
“Terrible way to treat repeat customers!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work, but please!

Att: Galveston park board: (Also Emailed to Galveston Park Board)

Spoke with Mario L. seems he is going to look in it. 6/19/09 9:00 am

My name is Fidel Ortiz

La Porte TX,
Mom Houston TX

06/18/09 11:45 pm Thursday

3 adults 1 (12 year old)

What a night.

Terrible way to treat repeat customers!

I went fishing at sea Wolf Park last night 06/18/09 11:45 pm Thursday

with my mom, my brother and first time to go 12 y nephew. Well it was a disaster.....

we tried to go at midnight when we paid and noticed it was 11.45 pm Thursday I told the lady what time did we had to get out of the park. She said 6 am, I said the reason we come this late was so we could stay until 8 am, and she said she was following rules and that if we would have waited 15 min by now 10 min we could stay till 6 sat? Well I requested a refund and was told they did not give refunds; she called the manager/security. He stated the same and said we could pay in the morning at 6:00 so we would not have to leave, that fired me up (inside of course) what do you mean pay? I'm not even inside the gate; where do I go to get a refund or try to get one I asked. The manager gave an address, I said is there a #, I'm not from around here I need a # to find the place. By then he started to ignore me. I said I want to pay for a new night starting as 12: and work on the other refund in the morning he smirked. I fist told the manager I was not going to move the truck until I got a refund, he grabbed his phone and was calling for help, is said good call the cops and get a tow truck while your at it, this truck does not want to start. I got off to try to start the truck, open the hood, which was my mistake. I went over to the guard shack and was asking the lady for a #, she was giving me the # and the manager walked up to me and said to move form the door, I said I'm talking to the lady, he insisted for me to get out of the way with a aggressive attitude, he could easily go in shack. I said well give me a receipt, the lady eventually gave me a receipt and I looked at it. it had 6+, 6+, 6+, 6+, 6+ 0C 30+ no date no "sea wolf park" any where, is told the manager, I will not get any refunds with this plain receipt; I’m going to fish till 6:00 am Fri, what they wanted.

We drove in the park and unloaded the stuff, at least 4 cop cars; I don't how many cops there were. He asked me what happened, I told him the same story, He said if these people were in charge they would not be working night shift, I said they need to use commonsense. The cop said you’ll need to leave, I said well we won't be coming back here, you all live hear too and get indirectly funded as well. I packed up silently after that and went home.

My brother kept saying don’t argue with park personnel,

My mom said these people were trying to steel our money in front of us.

My nephew said you should have told them they lost a customer.

Which I did mentioned to them that I "was" repeat customer!

Follow up 6-19-09 12 noon
I was told that I would get a refund on the mail by John Mac Michal manager sea wolf park [--]
He also stated that I me-st up everyone else, because the policies is that if someone gets in at 12 midnight , 1am , 2am ,3,am 4,am or 5 am they have to exit the park at 6 am or pay for the next day. That's right get in at 5am fish for one hour and have to leave or pay at 6:am the same day.

That he was making exceptions before for people coming in at after mind-night, but he would not anymore! Thanks to Me of course?.

Is there no better tracking system of the visitors so that everyone gets and equal amount of time for their money? Even if its 8 hours, or 24 hours.
I there a way to update policies so that misunderstandings don't happen.

globeseeker007
470 attraction reviews
“Sub & Destroyer Escort at one place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2008

The two main attractions at this park are the USS Cavalla, a submarine, and USS Stewart, a destroyer escort. Both saw duty in WWII and the Cavalla sank a Japanese aircraft carrier on one of its missions. Once aboard, you can go anywhere that's open on either vessel. It's interesting to see how the sailors lived aboard these naval vessels. You can go up in the conning tower on the sub and the bridge on the destroyer. It's worth a trip to see these two veterans of WWII manned by the members of the Greatest Generation.