“Slums in Galveston!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Islander East Condominiums

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Galveston
Islander East Condominiums
You added Islander East Condominiums to your Saves list
415 East Beach Drive, Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77550   |
“Slums in Galveston!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

I took my family to Galveston for our family spring break. The only mistake we made on this trip was renting a room at this place. We went up to the room and the door was cracked like someone tried to knock it off the hinges. We open the door to a smelly, moldy smelling, damp, 1980s looking wreck. The closet doors were off the hinges, the rug was dirty and stained and the bed linens seemed like they were not changed in about 10 years. The staff was nice and undersood we wanted OUT! they said I would get refund minus 75 dollars for the booking fee and another 75 dollars for 3 rubber bracelets, my family lost in all the running around trying to get the car packed again. So far it has been 5 days and I was charged twice for the room and no refund. I will call tomorrow. Update to follow!

Room Tip: Stay Away from this building and go down the street two buildings! Thank me later.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

Have stayed here many times going back to the late 1990's, and although the property is getting some age and wear and tear to it I still feel it is the best property for the value minded traveler on the seawall.

For about the cost of an upper end hotel room on the seawall you can rent an entire 1 bedroom apartment here with full kitchen, beautiful balcony views, and full beach access right in your back yard. (2 night min stay required)

This was one of the first beach condo's open to the public on the seawall and while there are now several newer, nicer, taller, etc. condo's available on the island you can get this one at half the price and yet still have the same view and access to the same beach as the newer ones which makes this one hard to beat for those who are looking for value over extravagance.

Two major tips to consider:

The first is to go with the one or two bedroom unit over the efficiency unit, the cost between the two is relatively small for what you get in return... The efficiency's are quite a bit smaller than the one bedrooms and are cramped and crowded, The one time that I went that route, I was not nearly as happy with it as I was with the full one bedroom unit.

The second is to steer clear of any unit that is advertized as a "bay view" or "island view" which is French for "Can't see the ocean" spend the few extra dollars for the full ocean view, you will be glad you did.

All in all, this is a great property for the value. very family friendly, It does have some age to it, so you may have to deal with a few small minor Inconveniences such as a door that sticks, or a noisy A/C etc. if things like this are not going to ruin your stay you should have a wounderful time, If so, you won't have to look very far for a higher end, higher $$$ property as there are two of those right down the street....

Room Tip: Go with the one and two bedroom units over the efficiency units. Go with only "ocean view"...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Lawton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

My family and I stayed here for 3 nights, and it was just what we needed. I had read some pretty bad reviews for this place so I was a little hesitant at first. When we arrived we were greeted by a very friendly and helpful staff. They gave me a mini tour of the facilities and everything looked new, clean and well maintained. When we opened the door to our room (#306) we were pleasantly surprised. We had two separate balconies and it was furnished quite nicely, up to date fixtures, comfortable furniture and granite countertops. I had my two youngest boys 6 and 10 and they were welcomed by the staff and the homeowners of the building. Definitely “kid friendly”. The beach is directly behind the condo, with nothing between you and the water. All the places in town are across a very busy road from the beach. The view is awesome (watched dolphins from our balcony) and it is so very quiet. In town you could never hear the waves over the traffic. The pool was nice and they had vending machines, a washer and dryer, tennis courts, 2 gas grills, shuffle board and outdoor showers. I was able to use the free internet access from my room. The beach is a short walk down a private boardwalk. It is almost like having a private beach. Although it is open to the public there were very few people other than those from the condo. (I don’t think that most people even realize that the beach is accessible to the public). There were 2 weddings on the beach on our last Saturday and that was a testament to how nice it is on their beach. They come through early every morning and clean the beach of all the trash and dried seaweed. My wife and I sat on the beach and drank cocktails and watched our boys have a blast. Unless you are expecting a world class 5 star resort then you will enjoy the Islander East. My family and I will definitely stay with them again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

This place brought memories when i was a kid, and had a great timel Kids will have a memory of a life time and will compare this vacation to all others now!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

We stayed in a one bedroom previously and loved the place. However , on this stay we stayed in unit 503 which was TERRIBLE! It was an efficiency one room. The carpet was either extremely stained or just filthy. The walls were dingy and peeling paint, curtains were visibly stained, couch was so stained we never even sat on it.
This room needs major updates and a little TLC. The view was awesome after my husband cleaned the patio door so we could see out. Everything was just dingy, soiled and we were very disappointed. Don't stay in 503

• Stayed June 2011
Katy, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

Horrible!!!! the room was nasty!! the person that clean the room has a very bad aspect!! and treated us very rude!!, They told us that the room was a Non smoking room and it had ashes everywhere, Definitly a very bad place!! the manager was very rude too!! it is sad how we lost our money in there!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

We booked a two bedroom, one bath at the Islander East for a 3 day weekend in August. The location is on the east end of Galveston island, close to the seawall and the Strand but removed from the bustle and traffic. The beach is cleaned each morning and is accessed via a boardwalk from the condo. The common areas were very well maintained and the pool was nice.

Our condo was on the 7th floor with a double balcony overlooking the beach. The rooms were clean but a little dated with three motel style A/C units, one for each bedroom and the living room. The main bedroom was separated from the living room by a moveable partition. Neither the partition nor the sliding glass doors to the balcony could be latched closed (a problem with young children.

The kitchen was small but functional. It was a galley style in the entry way with a frig, stove/oven, microwave, and sink. Not a lot of room, but fine for 3 days. Coin operated laundry facilities were available on the ground floor.

Overall cost was lower then else where on the island and we could walk right outside on to the beach with out having to cross any busy roads.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to Islander East Condominiums? Share your experiences!