“Pleasantly Surprised” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Super 8 Galveston

You added Super 8 Galveston to your Saves list
Super 8 Galveston
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   2825 1/2 B 61st Street, 61st Street & Seawall, Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77551-2002   |
Ranked #33 of 49 Hotels in Galveston
Point Venture, TX
“Pleasantly Surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2010

This is an older hotel that's recently been nicely refurbished. Large rooms, very clean, furniture was a very good condition, beds were very comfortable, heat/air conditioner was very quite, everything was well maintained. About a block from the beach we were very pleased to find the rooms (we rented 2 of them) to be fresh smelling and not dank/moldy smelling like so many seashore hotels are. We've stayed at other hotels in Galveston and this was certainly a good value given the location and the price. The main drawback for us was that the continental breakfast was somewhat lacking in that it did not include any fresh fruit.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

After reading some of the older reviews I was hesitant to stay here, but the La Quinta's we usually stay at were too expensive this time. We had a large clean 2 queen room with great beds and roomy bathroom. The walls were nicely painted, the a/c was great and the Wi-Fi was very fast.

The location on 61st street near the seawall is a good one, but there is virtually no view of the Gulf. The breakfast was meager--toast, cereal, bagels and mini-muffins. I would avoid that because there are too many other options nearby.

For the price it was a steal. I'm thinking of going back this weekend.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Austin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2010

My son and I have used this motel for the past 6 years because we always go to Galveston for our vacation spot and used this motel. This year we were gonna go Memorial day weekend but decided to cancel. The saturday we were suppose to go, I received a call from Super 8 with the lady saying we had a reservation but I told her no I canceled but she argued with me and hung up on me 3 times. When we finally got to the motel the week of June 7th for our week long stay, the bed was too firm and the pool was nasty, cloudy and had hair floating on the top. We were on the first floor and the people above us were noisy when I was trying to get to sleep at 11 pm. I called to complain and the front desk said they would take care of it, but the noise continued and it also continued each night we were there. We didn't get to finish our trip in Galveston because of an accident but I'm sure I will never stay at Super 8 again because of the continous noise, hard beds and dirty swimming pool. I was terribly disappointed because we never had a problem with them before.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
British Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2010

As part of a driving trip I persuaded my spouse to spend a couple of nights in Galveston. As we have always had good luck with Super 8 motels (have been staying at Super 8's in every state since 1985) and had a coupon for a really good rate we decided to take a chance. We were surprised as some of the other reviews I have read about this particular establishment were not very flattering. The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful, the breakfast was continental but the room had a fridge and microwave so we just went to WalMart (2 blocks)and picked up a few things. The room was clean but smelled exactly like any hotel on a beach smells (from Myrtle Beach to Mexico) so we were not bothered at all. It does not have a restaurant but does share a parking lot with Waffle House.

Overall this is not a high-class hotel (also does not have a high-class price) and it is awkward to get into and out of but I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Oklahoma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

The pool and spa were filthy and only got cleaned after the health department closed them down. There were actually pieces of the chlorine shed floating in the pool! No attention was paid to the condition of the pool at all until the health dept. came. The Baymont next door was closed down too, same management. We wasted most of our trip here; each day they told us it was going to be cleaned. I wish I had taken pictures. Ugh. We finally gave up moved to Best Western, which had a lovely pool. Who goes on a vacation wthout expecting to use the pool? They told me it was the fault of the guests, for swimming with oil and sand on them! In a beach town-what idiots. They also told me the pool wasn't part of the price-it was an extra bonus for no charge. I wouldn't stay anywhere on vacation that didn't have a pool, would you? If you are going to stay here, I suggest you make sure the pool is open, and the spa works before you make your reservation.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Galveston, TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2009

My children, husband & I walked into the room and roaches were crawling everywere. They were in the bathroom, on the carpet crawling around, crawling up the the walls, and the bed sheets. My daughter pulled the blanket back and roaches started crawling out from under the blankets We got our bags and checked out exactly 5 minutes later. They did refund our money. But this was a roach motel.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
DFW, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2009

My fiance and I stayed here one night during a Texas Road Trip in July 2009. Our check in was fine & the staff was nice. The room smelled musty & the carpet felt dirty (wear your sandals). The room had a nice, clean bathroom area & everything in the room worked. Cold AC was Great!!! The pool was pretty nice too. Breakfast was cereal & muffins.. no complaints there.

The only issue I had was parking in the front. It was difficult to get in and out (and we have a Honda Civic). Overall, not bad for the price, just look at it as a luxury dorm room! :o)

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Super 8 Galveston? Share your experiences!