“Cute place, greasy food” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Houston, Texas
“Cute place, greasy food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014 via mobile

My husband found this place on Yelp and suggested that we try it out. It's small, so if you have more than two people and/or are unwilling to sit at the bar, prepare to wait during peak hours. We went on a Friday night, but we agreed to sit at the bar.
The bar tender was nice and attentive. She pulled our beers right away. Our order took a reasonable amount of time.
Now, the food. I got an oyster po'boy with fried okra; my husband had a shrimp po'boy with onion rings. He was sick all night. He felt like the shrimp were undercooked. However, he admits that he isn't 100% sure that his being sick is related to the shrimp, so I'm not docking tons of stars. I will say that the food was super greasy. Split a platter of food; there's no way one person should ever eat so much at once!
Overall, we liked the place. We're not too sure about the sickness, so if your food doesn't look right, speak up.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Telluride, Colorado
“Went back to try more”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

Great seafood and service. Grilled red snapper, fish tacos, oysters, onion rings, seafood platter, were all good. Wish we had time to go back and try more

Visited May 2014
Kyle, Texas
“Great Food, Very Generous Servings”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

We decided to try the Black Pearl based on previous reviews and we weren't disappointed. It's a "seat yourself" place, or at least was on Sunday evening, and only two tables were available, which was a good sign that this is a place people like going to.

We ordered drinks - the margarita was very over-sweet, but the bloody mary was very good.

I ordered a cup of gumbo which came out not in a cup, but in a bowl with garlic bread - way more than I expected. I wouldn't have ordered anything else if I'd realized how generous their servings are (though another reviewer had mentioned it). I did though. I also had the crawfish po-boy. Another truly HUGE serving - lots of crawfish piled onto a split baguette, and a big mound of really good coleslaw on the side.

My husband ordered the catfish dinner with salad and onion rings. It also came with two boudin balls. He said he really liked the catfish and that the rings appeared to be homemade and tasty. However, this serving too was really large. Needless to say, we took home enough food for another meal.

The service was really slow, but in their defense, they seemed understaffed. Perhaps they underestimated how much traffic they would have on Mother's Day evening.

All in all a good experience. We'll probably stop here again when we're in Galveston.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Houston, Texas
“Great Food and Flavor”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

This is a Locals type spot just off the Strand in Downtown. Someone suggested it to us and WOW. It has now become one of our go to stops when we run down to Galveston for an afternoon or evening.
Great Flavorful Dishes. The Gumbo serving is HUGE.
Tip- Lunch menu is good, but ask to see the Dinner menu.

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
The Woodlands
“Great local food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

This is located near the Strand. We were able to get in fairly quickly and my husband and I split the fried seafood platter. The amount was plentiful and everything was great flavor. Best fried okra we have ever had, as well!

Visited April 2014