“GALVESTON OVERNIGHT” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Country Inn Galveston Beach

Save Saved
You added Country Inn Galveston Beach to your Saves list
Country Inn Galveston Beach
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2818 Avenue R 1/2, Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77550   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book a Business Package
Ranked #35 of 49 hotels in Galveston
Euless, tx
“GALVESTON OVERNIGHT”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Stayed on a recent Sunday night with 2 grandkids...Got to check-in early (130pm).. Got great room on Pleasure Pier side with balcony..Room 509.. I think... Never stayed at this chain .. Location is semi-good but parking in the area is a hassle..Spent lots of time looking for parking..Should have stayed at Sheraton.. Seawall has lack of police prescence... Got my bill under door..overcharged 20 dollars.. Went to talk to front desk..They acted like I don't see an issue.. They finally reprinted my bill .. (overcharge was at credit card website..but went away ) Breakfast not great.. Had real plates.. 4 real forks.. All dirty... Room floor had stains.. Bathroom clean.. Not best neighborhood.. Would not stay again..

Room Tip: High flloor east side

208 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Stayed on the 3rd floor, our hallway smelled of smoke, but the room was clean. Only con I would say would be the breakfast...They ran out of bread and pastries. Area is a little shady, because of the bar downstairs, wouldn't trust leaving ANYthing in vehicle.

Galveston Island, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

First the good - location. Close to pleasure pier and across the street from the beach. Now the bad. Had balcony view on the pleasure pier side of the hotel. The view of the Gulf of Mexico was good and of Pleasure Pier. The unexpected view was the constant flow of men ( over 15 times ) using the alley behind the hotel to urinate. This went on all night. You could not sit on the balcony and enjoy the view without viewing this activity. It got so bad, that we went to the front desk and they said there was nothing that they could do and we would need to call the police. They are aware of the activity - both the hotel and the police. The police did do a drive by but that was it. The area behind the hotel is suspect and at night this becomes an area of concern and is adjecent to the parking lot. Also, the view on the Pleasure Pier side is not desirable due to the roof tops of the adjacent building and thier A/C units. Need to be on level 3 or above to enjoy balcony. The rooms are average and the morning breakfeast is just OK - stick to cereal and pastries.

I used my hard earned points for the 2 nights in August ( 44,000 per night ) before kids went back to school. I feel that I wasted my points on this property and wish I could get a credit back on my account. I have stayed at other hotels in Galveston and would not stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
cisgalveston, Manager at Country Inn Galveston Beach, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post this response.On behalf of our entire staff at Country Inns & Suites we apologize for the concerns you shared about your experience at this hotel. I have addressed your concerns with our team, and I assure you we are working diligently to ensure a similar situation does not occur again in the future.

Okinawa, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

The hotel needs to hire an extra employee for the front desk. On a Saturday during normal check in time they only had one guy. He did an excellent job for being swamped by customers and phone calls, but the hotel could get a better review on the staff if the staff was able to take their time in giving you information about the hotel and things to do around the area. Other than that the hotel was immaculate. The single king room was great, lots of moving around space with a balcony. We got lucky and got a perfect view of the pier. Checkout was simple and quick and they have a way to check out even if no one is at the front desk.

Stayed July 2013
College Station, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

I stayed one night. I never stayed at Country Inn & Suites before. I'm used to staying at Hilton hotels and wanted to try something different.
Check in was easy. Took longer than it should of because the guy at the check in was overwhelmed with calls coming in. I was the only person in line and it took 5 minutes. The guy was apologetic and nice. I had no issues with it but I suggest giving him some help during the day.
The room was very nice. Unlike most hotels the air was already turned down. This made a world of difference to me. The room was very clean and i found no issues with it. The beds were extremely comfortable. My back was very happy in the morning. And I'm a picky person when it comes to beds. I have a $3500 mattress at home. I ding the room for the small flat screen TV. I think it's a 32" inch. A 42" would of been better for the distance the headboard is from the TV.
Now let me talk about the location of the hotel. It is located very close to Pleasure Pier. This makes a late night at the pier easier since there is little walking. But the hotel had to be placed by a very run down neighborhood to get that real estate. At night there are a few shady characters walking around the sheets. One guy asked me for money. But he was very nice about it and left me alone when i said I was with my family. I understand we all go through tough times and need a little hand out every now and then.
I also went to the pool. The pool is nothing exciting. It is indoors and that made it nice. The water was cool and there was a relaxing hot tub.
Ate breakfast at the hotel in the morning. Nothing fancy, but it was free!
I give this hotel 4 out of 5. Very comfortable. Lost a star due to location being in the run down area.

• Stayed July 2013
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Our family of four stayed for three nights and really enjoyed our time here. The location is great (even if the late night bar crowd and neighbors are a little sketchy). We loved the staff who greeted us by name when we walked in and found the room to be better than we had hoped. When we travel as a family we don't choose to spend money on hotels, we spend it on outings and restaurants instead, so we've stayed at far less comfortable places than this. They rock for the money you pay! The breakfast was different every day and was completely passable for a free breakfast. The pool, while small, is nice and clean and a lovely break when you want to get out of the sun. There is laundry on site which is a huge bonus when traveling with little ones, so i have no major complaints.

Room Tip: Because the elevators are in their own little alcove, there was no typical elevator noise. Aside fr...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

A nice place to stay is only one part of a successful weekend getaway. The staff at the hotel can make or break your stay. We arrived at the hotel at around 1pm on a very busy holiday weekend. So granted the 3pm check-in time was not unreasonable. What was unreasonable was the manager not allowing me to use the bathroom. She told me that she did not have keys to the bathrooms. When we finally checked in we checked the bathrooms - they were not locked! The hotel was nice and our room was comfortable. The breakfast was OK, but the dining area was very small and cramped. Not enough tables for people to sit at. When we checked out we forgot a couple of items in the closet. We called the hotel the next day to inquire about those items. We were told that nothing was found in the room. We asked if the room had been rented since we checked out and we were told that it had not been. So, where did the items go? After several phone calls over several days, my husband finally got through to the manager. She tells him that the staff found nothing in the room. Seems a little strange to me that we know we left items behind, the room was not rented by anyone else, and the items vanished! So what should have been a very nice stay turned out to be less than optimal. Yes, it is our fault we forgot to check the closet, but it would have been nice to have the courtesy to return left items to their rightful owner!

By the way, other than the manager, the rest of the hotel staff that we interacted with were very nice and accommodating, except, of course, whoever is now enjoying our lost property.

Room Tip: I asked for a balcony room. Yes, I technically received what I asked for, but the view from the bal...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Country Inn Galveston Beach? Share your experiences!