“Good hotel, great price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Galveston Beach, TX

You added Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Galveston Beach, TX to your Saves list
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Galveston Beach, TX
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2818 Avenue R 1/2, Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77550   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book a Business Package
Ranked #34 of 49 Hotels in Galveston
Austin, Texas
“Good hotel, great price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel two years ago for our anniversary. So, this year, I booked the hotel without shopping around for another one. This hotel has all the amenities we like. When we checked in, the luggage cart was not available, we were told there is only one luggage cart for the whole hotel. The front desk clerk told us the people had just gone up w/the cart. I said OK, but they may night bring it back down immediately. So, we carried our luggage. After getting into the room, I double checked everything and there weren't any hand towels or wash cloths. Called the front desk to request them and received them promptly. Then, when I went to fix coffee the next morning, there was only decaf so I requested the regular coffee from the housekeeper when she came later that day. She said she only had decaf on her cart so I went downstairs to the desk to get the regular coffee. We like the location of this hotel, it's within walking distance to the Pleasure Pier and a few restaurants & Murdock's gift shop. It's especially close to our favorite bar, The Poop Deck. It's also across from the beach. The room is large and we especially like the private balcony. We enjoyed our trip and weren't going to let a few very minor setbacks spoil it. Note: We don't use the pool and we didn't eat breakfast at the hotel.

Room Tip: I always request a room on the 5th floor facing East
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Salem, OR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

This was our first stay at a Club Carlson hotel and our experience was a good one. It was convenient to restaurants and Seawall Blvd. Pleasure Pier was within walking distance. The room was large, clean and very comfortable. Breakfast was quite good with plenty of choices.

Room Tip: We had a room facing Pleasure Pier & Seawall Blvd which was very nice.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

My New Wife and I tried several places on the Galveston Seawall. We were not shopping prices but we did want a view of the Ocean. Country Inn (Mary) was terrific she handle every need in a timely manner and found the room that we would have picked out if we were there prior. Great location nice indoor Pool. Excellent Restaurants near by. We have made reservations to return in June. The Country Inn, Galveston will be our Only Stop from now on. Thank You, Country Inn. You made our Stay Perfect. Again Thank You for having employee's that really care.

• Stayed May 2013
Lockport, Louisiana, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I was very disappointed in our stay at your hotel this weekend. We drove up just myself, spouse, and young daughter. We arrived at about 4:00 in the morning. I checked in and asked the clerk if you offer late check-outs provided the room was not needed. She advised, "Yes, just check with the front desk in the morning and they will assist you with that." I went to work, which is why I generally service this hotel, and I left my spouse and daughter in the room. Around 10:15 my wife went to the front desk to request a late check-out because the job I was on ran longer than expected. They advised her that there was no such thing at this hotel. She was advised the only options were to pay $15.00 per hour or pay for another night. My wife told her that she would get back to her on which one we would be doing. In the meantime, about 10:30 someone knocks on the door to tell my wife that she needs to leave because check-out is at 11:00. So my wife decides to book for an additional night. When she goes to the front desk the clerk tells her that she is very busy and doesn't have time to do the paperwork but to go wait in the room and she will call her when she can get to her. My wife advised that they would go to the pool and wait and requested pool towels. To which the response was that there were towels available by the pool. THERE WERE NONE! And even after asking housekeeping for some and being told that they would personally bring her one at the poolside. They were there for 45 minutes and NO towels were delivered! Finally, at about 12:15 they were back in the room and the clerk calls for her to go sign the documents. She signed, we thought all was well. We went about our day at the Rainforest Café and Pleasure Pier. Upon returning to the hotel we decided to freshen up, pack the car, take a nap, and then head back home. On my way back in from bringing some items to the car I stopped in at the front desk and advised the clerk that we would be leaving and will be doing an early checkout. Through his confusion of not knowing how to do an early checkout he asked why we didn't just request a late checkout since we would not be staying the night. So apparently two people in this facility know about a late check out policy. While we were discussing this my wife walked across the balcony and I yelled to get her attention to come to the desk. At this point the clerk was on the phone with the manager. Let me get one thing straight at this point. I was not trying to get out of paying for the additional night; I just wanted them to know what went on earlier that day. Customers walked in so I quietly stepped aside and let the clerk check them in. Then before I knew it there were cops at the hotel claiming that I was yelling at the clerk behind the desk. My wife went out to speak to them and they advised her that they were just there to simply insure that nothing got out of hand. That this hotel is know for a high fighting and crime rate. The cops made us get all of our belongings out of the room while they were there. They had to inspect the room to make sure it was not vandalized. And watch me leave the premises. Now excuse me but I never got ugly with anybody in the hotel. We cooperated completely with the police. I am a business man who donates hundreds of thousands of dollars each year to my own local and state police departments. I was not going to them to spare me $100.00. Being a fellow business owner I just wanted them to know where there was a glitch in their system which needed to be fixed. Believe me I will no longer be going for any average looking hotels near the area my child wants to frequent. I will be going to San Luis Resort where my wife wanted to stay. I would not even recommend an animal to stay in the hotel. Before I could leave the hotel because the clerk kept detaining me there were three police cars parked outside the building to watch me, my wife, and my 7 year old daughter leave the premises. What a horrible end to what was supposed to be a day of leisure for my wife's Mother's Day!!!

Room Tip: Go to a high end hotel. They are so worth the extra money and the added distance from the attractio...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
cisgalveston, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Galveston Beach, TX, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. On behalf of our entire staff at Country Inns & Suites we apologize for the concerns you shared about your experience at this hotel. I have addressed your concerns with our team, and I assure you we are working diligently to ensure a similar situation does not occur again in the future.

Munich, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

the country inn galveston is part of the radisson hotel group. as a part of a 2 days stopover in houston i was able to grab a promotional rate for club carlson members and decided to explore galveston. the location of the hotel is good, almost at beach and overlooking the pleasure pier on the left hand side. also lots of restaurants and bars within walking distance. (tried the new opened bubba gump shrimp comapany at pleasure pier...)
we recieved a large room at the upper floor, see facing. even as a gold member of club carlson no gimmicks upon check in. in the lobby they announce a continiously refurbishing of the hotel, but the advertising rollup is obviously all about it.

breakfast is free for all hotel guests and thats a real disaster. i know as european my expectations differ a bit from us standards when it comes to food service. but in fact: you get ONLY one way-plastic cutlery, plates, cups ... for ONLY industrial food.

there is not a single fresh and authentic food item on the so called buffet. the cereal selection contains of heavy sweetened and colored kellogs pops. scrambled eggs are made of a kind of yellow egg powder, the wafer dough is cheapest non healthy stuff and so the frustration continues.
dear hotel management, look at the huge rubbish bin after breakfast service, have you ever thought about "thinking green" ? iam not an öko freak but i have a sense of saving natural environment by reducing waste or do recycling.
the country inn galveston could be any other 3 star hotel just by changing their signage.
on the plus side, wifi is free and they have a small indoor pool and mini gym as an option for cooler days. parking outside was also hassle free and safe. Coffee is also offered during the day next to reception.

Room Tip: rooms at the upper floors, see facing
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
lakeville, Minnesota, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights before a cruise. It's a great location, directly across the street from the beach and really close to Pleasure Pier, shopping and restaurants. We had a room on the 2nd floor with a nice view of the beach and Pleasure Pier, but also had a view (and smell) of the garbage dumpsters, not good. Service was good, the front desk clerk did all she could to get us on the shuttle to the cruise pier when our taxi never showed up, that was wonderful. The room was okay, just average. This was the first hotel I've ever stayed at that I had to ask for a roll of toilet paper from the front desk because they didn't leave us an extra in the room. Breakfast was good, it's nice that they mix it up and don't have the same thing everyday, except for the waffles.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Altoona, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

I was concerned when I read some of the negative comments here. But my experience has been very positive. The desk clerk could not have been more polite and helpful. For a beach property fronting the water , the hotel is well maintained. Our room was clean, the case goods in great shape and the view from the 4th flow balcony was awesome. King room, on the very low end of the posted rates ( shoulder season I guess).

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Galveston Beach, TX? Share your experiences!