“Stay in shoulder season” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Country Inn Galveston Beach

You added Country Inn Galveston Beach to your Saves list
Country Inn Galveston Beach
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2818 Avenue R 1/2, Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77550   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book a Business Package
Ranked #38 of 49 Hotels in Galveston
Altoona, Pennsylvania
“Stay in shoulder season”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

I was concerned when I read some of the negative comments here. But my experience has been very positive. The desk clerk could not have been more polite and helpful. For a beach property fronting the water , the hotel is well maintained. Our room was clean, the case goods in great shape and the view from the 4th flow balcony was awesome. King room, on the very low end of the posted rates ( shoulder season I guess).

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

Place was very clean & staff was very friendly. Everyone I spoke with went the extra mile to meet any of my needs. Breakfast was good & checkout was a breeze. I will be back to stay here again & will recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed April 2013
cisgalveston, General Manager at Country Inn Galveston Beach, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. We are thrilled to see that you enjoyed your time at the hotel.

Sincerely
The Woodlands, Texas, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Staff was very unfriendly, room was not clean, bathroom was dirty. When we addressed this with the general manager she was very unprofessional and at one point made the accusation that we had made the mess deliberately. Worst experience ever!!

Room Tip: I don't recommend staying here!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
cisgalveston, General Manager at Country Inn Galveston Beach, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay at the Hotel.On behalf of our entire staff at Country Inns & Suites we apologize for the concerns you shared about your experience at this hotel. I have addressed your concerns with our team, and I assure you we are working diligently to ensure a similar situation does not occur again in the future.

Montgomery, Texas, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

The staff was rude, impolite and unhelpful. I was very disappointed with our stay. My husband and I took a little trip to the island with our son for the night. When we got to our room we discovered that our bed sheets were dirty, their was black hair in the bathtub (not just a couple of stray black hairs, we are talking a ton of black hair, like someone had shaved in the tub and no one had bothered to clean it out.) On top of this, their was a foul odor in the room. It was as if after the previous inhabitants had left, no one had come in and cleaned; it appeared the staff had simply made up the bed, picked up trash and called it good. When we called the front desk to let them know what we were dealing with, it took them 3 hours to bring us new bed sheets, even after my husband went to the front desk and inquired about new sheets and we had already called. Furthermore, we were handed a bottle of cleaning fluid and I suppose the expectation was that we were supposed to clean the black hair out of the bathtub. Nothing was done about the foul odor. Needless to say, we left the room and went somewhere else for the night. Horrible experience. I do not recommend staying here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Warminster, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Stayed at this hotel before our Disney cruise. The hotel recommended by Disney was booked. This hotel was dirty - hallway was dirty, room rugs were stained, beds lumpy and we found someone else's panties in the closet. Breakfast area was clean but selections were limited and not appealing. We utilized the 'shuttle' to the port...in an employee's mini van. We.were a party of seven so we were split our group as two trips to the port were needed. Not the best neighborhood...not a good place for families. Never again!

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel. Could hear music in bar next door.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

San Jose, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We booked two nights at the Country Inn and Suites by Carlson in Galveston. Our booking was via a web-based booking site (not Trip Advisor) that outlined the amenities at this hotel as having "washer/dryer" IN the room.

This was the primary reason we chose this property, as we would be in our fifth day of travel and would need to do a load of laundry. Having the machines in your room allows you to schedule the chore around your activities, not make your activities fit going back to a laundry to switch your clothes from washer to dryer, etc.

When we were given our room, it met our expectations EXCEPT there was no washer/dryer in our room. A trip down to the front desk confirmed what we found, NO rooms had a washer or dryer. So a listing mistake had been made; it was unclear even who had made the mistake. So we resigned ourselves to using the two washers and dryers that the hotel provided for ALL the guests in the hotel. Pay machines just off the lobby.

In order to make certain that they were not being used, we decided to do the laundry that night at 9PM when we would return to our room. As we took our dirty clothes down to the room with the machines, we found that a single load necessitated 13 quarters. There was no change machine provided. We then went to the front desk to get change -- only to be told "we were out of luck", they could not change our bills to quarters. Hmmmm?

We then even took this complacently as "tough luck", braved the thunderstorm and drove to an nearby establishment that willingly provided us quarters. Laundry was finally done around 11PM,

So far, the Country Inn listing was wrong -- and they had no ability to accommodate their customers by providing change. Not good, but nothing terrible I'd guess.

But this is where the story gets uglier in my eyes. I twice tried to see the manager the next day - at 10:30 AM and 4:30 PM. Both times I was told "not here". My sole intention was to make her aware of the listing error, and also say that they should certainly maintain change for their own coin-operated laundry.

At 4:30 PM, when the manager was not there, one of the clerks asked if she could help? As we would not have another chance to talk with the manager (where was she?), I said yes.

But the moment that I made her aware that we were the patrons from the night before who thought we had a washer/dryer in our room -- she cut me off and launched into what I'd call an offensive tirade about how they did has two washers and two dryers, and how that would work for their guests, and how they did not provide that service in the rooms, etc.

I kept my tongue for about 30 seconds, then I did interrupt and ask her if she could just wait until I said what I wanted to say before she cut me off and headed off in a tangent. She then did cease talking, and I told her that my ONLY issue was that it was not a good business decision for their customers to not have change available for their machines. Just wanted to let them know that it didn't work for me, and others would no doubt have the same issue.

When I finished, she then just glowered at me for about five seconds. When I then broke the silence by saying "yes" -- her reply was "CAN I TALK NOW!?". Very rude, and our conversation went down hill from there. She had now CREATED a new problem - her insolence.

The manager of this hotel needs to be at the hotel in the hours in which guests are there doing their daily business. I'm not certain, but I feel the attitude and rudeness of their employee is a result of that lack of supervision.

So here I am talking about the Country Inn and all of it has been bad - a very unpleasant experience for my wife and myself.

This is a case where the staff and management themselves have shot themselves in the foot. All of this space should have been about how their hotel is actually well-located, the rooms quite adequate, the facilities fine, the price quite reasonable. I would actually recommend this hotel to others -- as long as they don't need to do laundry or communicate with the staff.

Room Tip: Few rooms face the gulf even though the hotel is right on Seawall Drive. Prepare to see adjoining r...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
cisgalveston, General Manager at Country Inn Galveston Beach, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. On behalf of our entire staff at Country Inns & Suites we apologize for the concerns you shared about your experience at this hotel. I have addressed your concerns with our team, and I assure you we are working diligently to ensure a similar situation does not occur again in the future.

Kingwood, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel twice in the past 6 months, and both times, it was wonderful. We found this hotel by chance, after our former favorite Seawall hotel was less than accomodating on our last visit. I love that every room has a balcony, and I love that you can sleep in the living room and have a tv in there as well. This is a great place to travel with children or larger parties. Parking is not ample, but we did not have any trouble findiing a spot in front of the hotel. Breakfast was very good with a large selection. It is within walking distance to the beach, Pleasure Pier, and many good restaurants. This is now our favorite hotel in Galveston. We travel there with young children, and it more than suits our needs.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Country Inn Galveston Beach? Share your experiences!