“Customer Service Lacking” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Country Inn Galveston Beach

Save Saved
You added Country Inn Galveston Beach to your Saves list
Country Inn Galveston Beach
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2818 Avenue R 1/2, Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77550   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book a Business Package
Ranked #38 of 49 Hotels in Galveston
Scottsdale AZ
“Customer Service Lacking”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

The room was clean and the hotel was centrally located but management needs to give the staff lessons on customer service.

We chose to stay in Galveston for a day after a Disney cruise. Making the reservation, we noted that we would be arriving very early in the day. Indeed we arrived by 10 am. The front desk staff acted like we were a huge imposition. We requested to store our luggage while we explored Galveston and made the not-so-unreasonable-request that we could have a room as soon as one could be made available. We returned to the hotel after 2 and were told no rooms were available. We sat and waited in the lobby and then watched as others arrived and were given room keys. A call to the hotel's headquarters yielded a call to the front desk and a room key.

The rest of the stay was predictably unpleasant. The hot tub was not functioning per Murphy's Law and breakfast items were empty upon arrival. Had the actual breakfast items been available, the breakfast would have been enjoyable. One can only wait so long for virtually all the items to be replenished before resorting to cereal.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Rolla, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I stayed at the Country Inn for one night in September 2012, prior to taking a cruise. I was very impressed with this hotel. It was very clean and well-maintained. The lobby was gorgeous! There were no issues with the room. I made the reservation online and requested a room on the 4th or 5th levels, but ended up with a room on the 2nd floor. However, we still had a balcony with a good view of the ocean. Pleasure Pier is a short distance away, as well as several gift shops and restaurants. The hotel allowed free parking during the week-long cruise, as well as shuttle service to and from the cruise terminal. Our shuttle driver was polite and friendly, and made us feel very comfortable during the ride.

Room Tip: I would recommend a room on one of the two upper levels (4 or 5) facing Pleasure Pier. But, as ment...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Stayed there in June. Awesome. Great Beach location. Clean rooms, great staff. Service was excellent. Stayed there this past week. Even asked for same room-got it. Felt like I walked into Twilight Zone.
-Ceiling in bathroom had dirt-black mold like substance
-Fire Alarm (Turned out to be false) awakened us at 5:30 a.m. Hey, those things happen.
-Smoke Alarm in hotel room awakened us at 5:00 next morning
-AC never worked unless cranked down to 68. Hotel staff said they would take care of it.
-Asked for change on last night to do laundry in their hotel. Lady said they do not normally give change-or we do not have it-or I could go to a convienent store at 11:15 at night. Huh?
I said do you normally have change? Her reply, "no, uh-uh, not tonight. We do not give change normally?" WHAT? It is money for your machinery.

End of my stay with this Hotel and Carlson

Room Tip: Rooms facing beach are awesome, especially rooms on 4th-5th floor. Try and ask for room numbers in 4...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Hotel lobby was clean and the staff was nice. The room was cleaned except for the coffee pot had not been cleaned for awhile. I noticed mold growing in the coffee filter. Besides the coffee filter everything else was great.

Room Tip: I noticed it was best to reserve a room on their website. I used my government discount and got a be...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

The hotel staff and facilities are very unreliable and inconsistent. During check-in I was given an upgrade (w/o my request) just to find out that the room I got was the same as what I booked.

After getting to the room the first thing I did was to turn the A/C ON but 2.5 hours later the temperature had not changed. On calling the front desk found out there was no maintenance staff so the front desk person came upstairs to check if I had set the thermostat correctly which I had and so she change the FAN settings from ON to AUTO (claiming AUTO works better) and asked me to wait for 30 mins. Luckily the thermostat did work 1 hour later only to stop again in 3 hours.

In the morning the bathtub drain was blocked and took 3 hours for my wife and I to take a bath. To make matters worse the internet stopped working in the morning and when I called the front desk they blamed it all on COMCAST.

The last piece of problem was that they only have 1 housekeeping person who leaves at 4 PM so if you don't leave the room early enough (before NOON) then your room might not get cleaned.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
cisgalveston, Front Office Manager at Country Inn Galveston Beach, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. Please kindly accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience you experienced with our staff. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and appropriate actions will be taken to correct the issues you raised. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. I ask that you please call me personally at the hotel at your earliest convenience for me to follow up. If there is anything you need please do not hesitate to let me know.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

Gilfriend and I took a spontaneous trip to Galveston just to go. When we FINALLY arrived after the horrible traffic in Houston, we had no idea where to go or stay...so we just drove up and down Seawall Blvd and made calls as we drove by. We called Country Inn, and they had the lowest price (which isn't exactly cheap...but the location was decent). We finally went to check in and the staff was a little sketchy at first. But when we started talking to them, they were very helpful and nice. Got checked in, got a room, and I believe they put us in room 415 (or 425)...top floor on the corner overlooking the beach and Pleasure Pier. While the room wasn't shockingly amazing, it's Country Inn...I wasn't expecting it to be. The view was PERFECT!! The real complaint I had, was that housekeeping left a dirty washrag on the rail of the shower. After we checked in, we went for a walk on the beach, and walked over to the souvenier shop next to Pleasure Pier...she had a few Pina Colada's, and I had a big Red Stripe...then we just chilled on the patio overlooking the ocean.

The water's brown close to shore, but Galveston can't really help that due to currents pushing muddy waters from the Mississippi and Trinity...but either way, it was very relaxing.

The continental breakfast was way better than I expected. ...much better than a few cold danish and orange juice. A serve-yourself buffet of biscuits, fried chicken patties, country gravy with sausage, you can make your own cereal, waffles, and an assortment of coffees and juices.

I rated "room service' as average because there was none. Restaurant was also average as it was for breakfast only...but the breakfast wasn't too bad.

To be quite frank, I would GLADLY go back. Again, I wasn't expecting the Hotel Galvez...I was more realistic. The staff was courteous, friendly and the room was what I was expecting and seemed pretty clean. However, I wasn't expecting to get the view we had. Very pleasant surprise!

The people that come out at night along the beach......SKETCHY!!!!

Room Tip: We had a great view from our room facing Pleasure Pier.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
SAGINAW
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012 via mobile

We stayed four nights and found the location unbeatable. The Pleasure Pier and great restaurants were all within walking distance...and of course the beach is across the street. The staff, except the general manger, Dee, were all super friendly(lol!). Interesting right? Well, the breakfast lady wants to be out of the hotel at the same time breakfast ends but seems to be a trend everywhere unfortunately.
I did not have the horror experience that a few other reviewers did but I will tell you the good with the bad.
We had a suite with our three kids in tow. Our room was plenty large enough and there were two flat screen LCD tvs to watch. The property is very new and as of right now it is in great condition. The hot tub is nice and indoor so you won't get sunburn after a long day at the beach. If you get there early, and I do mean early, you can get a pretty darn fine breakfast.
Now on to the negative, the cleanliness really needs to be addressed by someone with "American" values on cleanliness. Maybe I'm spoiled but I expect hallways to be cleaned to the edge of the wall and elevator doors to be free of nasty hand smudges. Rooms should be thoroughly cleaned AND swept so to not see the previous guest's hair in your floor. I fear that this property could age prematurely if someone doesn't come in and take over with some skill.
Overall, for Galveston hotels, I would come back but there is much work to be done.

• Stayed July 2012

Been to Country Inn Galveston Beach? Share your experiences!