“Okay place to stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Country Inn Galveston Beach

You added Country Inn Galveston Beach to your Saves list
Country Inn Galveston Beach
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2818 Avenue R 1/2, Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77550   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book a Business Package
Ranked #38 of 49 Hotels in Galveston
“Okay place to stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

My husband and I decided to take a 4th of July trip for the 1st time. We stayed at the Country Inn & Suites in Galveston. Prior to arrival, we communicated with a young lady at the front desk and requested a 2nd floor or higher room. Upon arrival, our room was definitely on the 2nd floor but the balcony part of it was located over a club with a blocked view. The view was much less than great. We discussed this with the manager on duty and he stated that the room given to us was all they had. The manager and I actually disagreed quite a bit for a while. After finally deciding to stay(it was the holiday and apparently all the hotels were booked up) and returning to our room, we noted that our comforter set was dirty. It was dirty to the point of us wanting our entire bed comforter and sheets changed. The manager was stressed and seemed to try and work with us towards the end of the argument that he and I actually changed the comforter/sheets together. The manager and I finally became friends after I decided it was better to make the best of a crazy situation. The room itself was okay besides the dirty bed linen and comforter. The airconditioner was definitely loud but it was tolerable. This hotel was definitely close(walkable) to the seawall/beach. We made it through the holiday break but will definitely not be returning.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Slidell, Louisiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

I booked this hotel for 2 nights. The next morning, the breakfast fruit was old, the eggs were old and the staff was mean. I go to my car to leave for a meeting and my window was busted out and items were stolen. I told the front desk that I was nervous to stay another night so they understood and said I only had to pay for one night. I went to my room and booked another hotel and prepaid to assure my reservation. A few hours later when I tried to check out, they decided they did not what to give me a refund and I was told that regardless of the break in of my car, I am still responsible for 2 nights. I said it wasn't fair for them to go back on their word and I wanted to speak to a manager. They said the manager was busy and I said I would wait. The front desk associate said then he would just call the police on me. Two police cars and 3 officers came to question me and I was very embarrassed. The officers were very nice and said the manager agreed to give me a refund. I asked the police officer to go back inside the hotel with me to confirm the refund and the manager changed her mind again and said I couldn't get a refund. The police officer said maybe I should file a complaint with the owners. I will never ever stay at this hotel or any hotel near this one again, I have never been treated so awful in life.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Country Inn Galveston Beach, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. I'm sorry to see you received service that was less than satisfactory. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We hope to have the honor of serving you again in the future, and showing you how we have improved.
Dallas, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

The place is very convenient and very close to the seawall/Beach, also close to all the places that you need to go like the new carnaval like Pleasure Pier, Mudoch (souveiner store), restaurants etc. You can just walk down the street and you'll enjoy the walk. The place is very clean and so comfortable. Bedsheets and pillow cases has been change everyday. Awesome! You'll never regret staying here. Plus great customer service!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
San Antonio, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

On Fri, May 18, 2012 we stayed at this hotel after attending a Astros game in Houston, arriving about midnight. We found no parking in the hotel parking lot, including handicap (all of 2 marked spots) which we're eligible for. When you look at the website photo which does not show it, there is a bar & dance club right next door to the hotel on the edge of the parking lot with very loud music. We wake up Sat. morning only to find a bunch of teenagers in the small breakfast room, taking up all the tables, about 8-10 total. Not much left in the way of food, and 1 person working the kitchen area, both as cook and table cleaner. We went to The Strand all day Sat. only to return Sat. night about 6pm to find that our beds are not made up, nor fresh towels placed in the room. Went to the front desk to complain, only to find out that there is a little card that you place on your pillows if you want your linens and towels exchanged due to them being "Eco-friendly", meaning they save water. However, when you take the time to read the card, it only mentions bed linens being changed, nothing about towels. They didn't even come into the room to clean and wipe down the bathroom, and our pile of towels laid in the corner of the room all weekend. Sunday morning we're up for breakfast again, about 8am, only to find tables available but not cleaned, coffee pots empty, and the same one person trying to cook and clean as was the case Sat. morning. I asked if coffee was being made, she said it was, yet 1/2 hour later she's still walking around the breakfast room cleaning up and wiping the serving counters down. The coffee was not even started. Bottom line is we went with another couple and stayed in the same room to save on expenses. I'm told that this room went for $200 a night and our friends used their award points. I feel bad for them as we all were in agreement that it wasn't worth it. Oh, a little FYI for you 1st time visitors. Seawall Blvd, is the main drag up/down the city. Traffic is at a standstill constantly, even into the late hours. In addition it seems to be a hangout for car clubs who park their cars at the curbs, only to be gawked at by the passing visitors, slowing down the traffic. If you can do it, even with small kids, leave your car at the hotel and walk to the restaurants if they are close to your hotel. Saves time and your hotel parking spot. Also go to Gaido's/Casey's Seafood restaurant......the best!!!!

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms 101/102; they're next to hotel lobby and breakfast room.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

Just returned from weekend in Galveston and stay at Country Inn. This property exceeded my expectations. We had a room facing the Pleasure Pier. Awesome view of the beach and pier. Great location for walking to restaurants, etc...on Seawall Blvd. The bed was fabulous! Most comfortable hotel bed I have experienced in a long time! The room and entire property were very clean during our stay. Would definately stay at this property on return visit to Galveston. Had originally booked another property down the street for 1 night, but got a much better rate at Country Inn when we decided to stay for 2nts. So glad we changed reservations to Country Inn!

Room Tip: Room 414 faces Pleasure Pier and is one of the front-most rooms. Assume 514 would have even better...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
San Angelo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

My wife & I spent one night at Country Inn Galveston Beach in late March prior to taking a cruise. We found the hotel to be very clean and Dee & her staff to be very efficient, professional & friendly. Wewere given very specific instructions on finding a restaurant that we asked about & they inquired about how we liked it when we returned. Our room was very clean and afforded us a great view of the boardwalk and seawall. Breakfast was much better than at most hotels who offer free breakfast. We left our car at the hotel while we were on the cruise and rode their shuttle to & from the pier. Our driver was very personable and gave us a delightful commentary on Galveston during the ride. When we returned, we called and the shuttle was there to pick us up very shortly. If we go to Galveston for any reason in the future, we will definitely stay at Country Inn again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

Free hot breakfast, right next to beach, indoor pool, free parking for people going on cruise. These were main reasons to choose this hotel. We did not feel for once that it was overpriced at all. service was good and employees were very polite and helpful. We'll definitely stay here next time.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Country Inn Galveston Beach? Share your experiences!