“Nice old house” 4 of 5 stars

More attraction details
Attraction Details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This elegant late 19th-century mansion of red brick, limestone and terra cotta tile, houses a collection of decorative arts, silver and furnishings associated with the Moodys, one of the city's most prominent families.
North Richland Hills, Texas
44 attraction reviews
“Nice old house”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

First of all, get the package for Moody Mansion and Bishop's Palace. It's cheaper and in my opinion, worth it. The tour only covers two floors and would be better if it was the whole house. Our guide wasn't very loud and repeated himself a few times. Despite that, they house and its history were very cool. I snuck some pics anyway.

Houston, TX
3 attraction reviews
“A step back in time and an insightful tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

My husband and I both enjoyed our tour of the Moody Mansion. A few suggestions:

1) yes, you must pay for the tour. You cannot go in the house on your own, nor can you take photos.

2) if you plan to attend an afternoon tour on a busy day, stop by in the morning to buy tickets. When we arrived after lunch on Saturday, we were told that the tours were sold out for the rest of the day. We went back Sunday and were very glad we did.

3) ask for Claire! It takes a special docent to keep her guests genuinely interested, and Claire has a gift for it. Her extra stories made our day.

My sole disappointment was that we could only see two of the four floors of the house. These areas are off-limits due to hurricane damage and fire codes. This is unavoidable, of course, but I would have loved to be able to see the servants' area on the ground floor and the children's playroom on the top floor.

Kansas City, Missouri
“dont waste the money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

there are better places to go. Once you left one thing they wouldnt let you back in later to see the feedings of the animals. But you are not going to spend all day waiting.

23 attraction reviews
“My wife's visit to Moody Mansion”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

The tour through the mansion is guided and for someone who likes to take time to look around it is too fast paced. The story of the Moody's and their mansion is very interesting. I would have liked to buy a book there but did not see any. It is a great deal to purchase a combination ticket both for the Moody Mansion and the Bishop's Place ($16, a $4 dollar savings) which is also a very interesting place to visit. The gift shop at the Bishop's Palace does have a variety of books to include the Moody Mansion. I left my car at Moody Mansion and took a very nice stroll on Sealy St. along the beautiful Victorian homes to Bishop's Palace. This is a 20-30 minute walk. The staff at both locations are friendly and helpful.

San Antonio, Texas, USA
10 attraction reviews
“Magnificent Mansion”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

When I asked for the Broadway Beauty package, which includes the Bishop's Palace and the Moody Mansion, I received a significant discount. Both mansions are worth the time it takes to tour them. The tour guide at the Moody Mansion was informative, humorous, and did not rush us through. She encouraged the tourists to walk around the mansion afterwards and see the stained glass window from the outside. WOW! I'm so glad she suggested that. The stained glass window had a different look from the outside of the home than it did on the inside of the home and both sides were beautiful. The tour guide explained what was done in the restoration after the hurricane of the 1900's and the most recent, Hurricane Ike. This place and the history behind it was truely spectacular.