“Average hotel, not prepared for spring break” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Galveston West - Seawall

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Galveston West - Seawall to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Galveston West - Seawall
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8628 Seawall Blvd, Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77554   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #27 of 49 hotels in Galveston
Wyandotte, OK
“Average hotel, not prepared for spring break”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

With only one person at the front desk trying to handle check-ins, answer phone calls, and deal with unhappy guests, my first impression was definitely not a good one. A couple had been waiting for their room to be cleaned for almost 3 hours. Check in is at four, and when I arrived at 6:45, they were still waiting. I finally got checked in 30 minutes later, housekeeping was just leaving our room. The front desk blamed the delays on being short handed due to the time change and people not getting to work on time. That excuse might work on Sunday, but Monday?
Our room was clean, had an ocean view balcony with two chairs, and comfortable beds. The air was constantly humid, like the airconditioner couldn't keep up, or wasn't functioning properly.
We tried breakfast the first morning, arriving at 9. The dining room was busy, making it take longer to fix plates and find a table. My son decided he wanted another pancake, but by the time it was finished, the staff had already put away the butter and syrup. At 9:30 on the dot, regardless of people still eating, without a last call or polite warning of closing, all breakfast was taken out of the room.
Given that the week we visited was Texas spring break, and we were in TEXAS, you would think the hotel would have been prepared for a crowd. I picked it partly because of the free breakfast, but we only tried it that one time.
I gave the hotel a 3 because our room was fine, I liked the less busy location, and at a mess busy time, the lack of preparation " hopefully" wouldn't have been an issue.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Galveston West - Seawall, responded to this review, April 22, 2012
Vaughns_boys_mom,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received service which was unacceptable. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Ben J
IHG Care

167 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

I checked into Holiday Inn Express 8628 Seawall Blvd, Galveston, TX. As I began to relax and unwind in room #120 later I stared wheezing and sneezing from my allergies. When I got out of bed to adjust the air condition settings I noticed my Carpet was Soak and Wet over 1/2 of my room starting from the Unit passed my bed. At approx. 2200 hrs I proceeded to the front desk and explained to Stephen who was on duty my situation. He was very helpful to accomodate me to another room #118. The next morning I got up to adjust the air before showering I then noticed my carpet was Wet leading from the air condition covering a large area of my room. After getting dress I went to the front desk and spoke to a lady name Yvonne, who Identified herself as the FRONT DESK MANAGER. Again I explain to Yvonne that I have extremely Bad allergies and Asthma and that I had to Move to another room in the middle of the night. She then replied that the Manager will be coming in today and I can talk to him about it and the Maintenance guy will take a look at both units. As the morning drew near, the Manager Or the Maintenance guy NEVER showed up. Later that day I returned to the front desk and ask for the manager, Yvonne then tells me her Manager was here but he"s Gone for the day. As I go through my daily meeting later on at approx. 1800 hrs I returned to my room it begin to smell like mildew I was wheezing extremely bad, and I noticed Housekeeping Hadn't CLEANED my room. I then return to the Front Desk and spoke to Yvonne and ask is housekeeping still on the premisses because they Didnt Clean my room. She then replied Everyone has left for the day. Now, I become very Displeased with the Hotel Manager and their Staff. My reply was I would like to move to another room the carpet is Wet and begin to smell. Yvonne DIDNOT try to accomodate me in any way, she said she will send someone down with a Wet Vac to dry the carpet. On Tuesday I return to my room at approx 1736 hrs when I noticed two guys in my room performing housekeeping duties Yvonne was walking down the hallway with a tablet in her hand I then ask " why are these guys in my room" she explained to me that the hotel is short handed on Employees in housekeeping, which Explains Why my room Wasn't attened to on Monday 3/12/12. On Wed it was checkout time after a HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE staying on that Property. Yvonne Refuse to Comp my room on my Horrible three night Stay.She explain that her manager would have to give me a discount the only thing she can do is take $25.00 off my stay and the manager wasn't there, nor does she know how to get in touch with him.I then ask her did she speak with him about the Unsatisfied Customer and her experiences her reply was "No I Forgot". Please, I ask that you consider your health very seriously and take my Experience as a lesson learned. I have yet to get my Asthma under control after staying on your Property. It cocerns me that other guest will be checking into the same rooms after I leave time and time again having that same Wet Carpet in the room and the Hotel Management Staff has fail to correct the problem. I have made several ATTEMPTS to contact the hotel Manager regarding my Experience and he has Failed in returning all of my Calls.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Case Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Galveston West - Seawall, responded to this review, April 10, 2012
Dear Shawhif,

I am deeply sorry for the experience you had with your rooms and the staff.
And thank you for bringing this to our attention. I would like to discuss this matter further with you.
I have sent you a private message in effort to get more information. Thank you

Katie J
Case Manager
IHGCare
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

We stayed here for one night prior to our cruise. We found the hotel well kept, clean and fairly quiet. We had the breakfast in the morning. Although it had the usual "powdered scrambled eggs" that even my husband wouldn't eat, the rest of the food was very tasty and adequate. We found the employees helpful and kind.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

Hotel is nice, clean, and comfortable.Breakfast standard Holiday Inn Express fair. Gets old if you say a HIE much. Staff nice and helpful. Location close to the beach and close to Wal-Mart and a few places to eat. Good place to say if your cruising the next day. They offer parking, but we parked close to the ship. One thing; we wanted bottled water because the Galveston Water does not suit our taste. No water at the desk and all four machines in the hotel were sold out. What else could we do but get in the car and go to Wal-Mart for water. Over all average for the cost.

Room Tip: Bring your own water.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort Worth, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

Rooms were clean but Found one bug in the tub & one on the bed. Located pretty far west on Seawall blvd so a little distance away from the action. Rooms have fridg & microwaves & a Wallmart close by for sundries. Over all it was ok except the 2 bugs.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

Ok, the only bad thing I can say about this hotel is its location. It is a little far from the city center and restaurants if you do not have a car. Other than that, their kind approach encouraged us to extend our stay. Rooms are big, with comfy "soft" and "firm" pillows. We stayed in one of the rooms on the side and managed to see the ocean, and hear sound of the waves from our balcony (yes rooms have nice big balconies). Breakfast was really good considering the price we pay for our stay, plenty of pastries, waffle, good coffee and 4 hot dishes per day. This small hotel also has a laundry and a business center. I will recommend this hotel to anyone visiting galveston.

Room Tip: Do not insist on staying in a room on the facade if you want to see the ocean. Side rooms are also g...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Okc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

Normally we stay on the other end of Seawall Blvd. I really was impressed with this hotel and will definatly stay here again. It was very clean and the staff was very pleasent and helpful. We had a room that had the sofa. The beds were very comfortable hotel is kept very clean. Even though it was November the pool was still open and so were the hot tubs. They have two. They were not as hot as I would have liked but still pleasent to sit in. There was moderate road noise as we did have a gulf view. Loved sitting out on the balcony and taking in the fresh gulf breeze snuggled in a throw I brought with me. The one thing to note is that there is rocks and not sand beach in front of this hotel. The sand beach directly in front of hotels is further up the blvd. Wireless internet was very reliable and fast. I had no issues with it. The breakfast was average. They had the pancake machine that puts out fresh pancakes in two min. They had some other options but it wasn't the part of the day I looked forward to.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Galveston West - Seawall? Share your experiences!