“Loved the 2BR/2BA beachy condo at unit 1206” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Seascape Condominium Rentals

Save Saved
You added Seascape Condominium Rentals to your Saves list
Seascape Condominium Rentals
4.0 of 5 Condominium   |   10811 San Luis Pass Road, Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77554   |
A TripAdvisor Member
“Loved the 2BR/2BA beachy condo at unit 1206”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2005

It was a GREAT experience and was surprised in this " at home " unit. We have stayed at another unit last year and boy WHAT A DIFFERENCE! It is well worth the extra few Dollars for the "Upgrade Plus Class.'' Nice Beach view from accomadating balcony.......Nice walk in shower rinses your eventfull day a fresh! Well decorated and furnished with style! Loved the dinning/game table niche. Great kitchen and supplies were ok.......This is diffinately the one we will choose next year............Unit 1206 is the one for me!

• Stayed June 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2005

First of all, I will try to write this review with as little bias to the island as possible, and stick to pros and cons of this particular property. This will be hard to do, so I should get my Galveston issues out of the way—WHY, WHY, WHY does the city/county/state NOT CLEAN THE BEACHES? Even just the “nicer” west beaches? It is quite literally impossible to step more than two paces in any direction without setting bare feet on trash, however small. I do not understand this. It is mixed in the seaweed they refuse to rake even once a week, or embedded in the sand your kids want to make castles with. It just amazes me that “they” don’t even try. Well, that’s not entirely true.

Imagine spending $700 for three nights at one of the only beach-side condos on the island. You park next to an RV lot and think, hmm, riff raff? Then you head to the water and see the entire beachfront directly in front of the $700 place is FILTHY. But, walk fifteen feet to the RV beachfront, and what do you get? Daily combed sand, not nearly as much trash, and far less seaweed than the condo. Explain that one, Seascape.

While Seascape would no doubt take zero responsibility for the state of the beaches, they need to step down from their ivory tower for a bit and take care of some serious issues. The first is parking. If you plan to go out after five and return later than ten, look out. You may find you have to abandon your car dozens of yards away from the property, uncovered, and then walk just as far to your unit. Don’t expect the lone security guard to help you out, either. He will blankly let you know he has given “visitors” of condo guests tickets for parking in guest spots, but they can’t be towed until morning. Then he might suggest, as he did to me, that you park your car in a handicapped spot, but “be sure to come back out and move it in a couple of hours” which would have meant, oh, two a.m. in my case.

The second issue is that the bedrooms have no drapes covering the blinds. Even the cheapest places I’ve ever stayed had drapes to block out light. Unfortunately Seascape does not, and all night long the first night I woke up thinking the sun was out and it was time to get up. Instead, our room was lit up like a Christmas tree at 3:00 a.m. because of the security light in the ceiling just outside our window. The road noise was not very pleasant, either. My husband covered the window with a blanket and I had remembered to bring earplugs along, so that helped.

Third, maintenance issues. Seascape very explicitly states in their “welcome” letter that maintenance issues are NOT EMERGENCIES. If your air or heat doesn’t work, you’re out of luck until the next day, or actually, WORK DAY. There is no maintenance man on weekends whatsoever. If your refrigerator doesn’t work and you’ve bought $250 worth of groceries as we did, too bad. We ended up having to put just about everything in the freezer and thaw things out as we needed them. Fruits and vegetables and bread just aren’t the same when they’re frozen, now are they? Want cold beer and drinks? Better take along a cooler just to play it safe. With Seascape there are NO guarantees. P.S., they also state, “If you don’t like your view, this is not an emergency!” Alrighty then.

Just as there is no maintenance help on weekends, there is also no one to enforce rules. The security guard stays at the front gate and tells you to park on the street, and all the while kids are peeing in the hot tub after 9:00 p.m. even though the “rules” state that the hot tub is adults only after that time. Same for noise, glass bottles, rafts in the pool—it doesn’t matter. At Seascape it’s a free-for-all.

The elevators at this condo were my first indication that things were not going to be as nice as I’d hoped. They were just gross. Food and trash in them, sand and mud all over the place. The same mud stayed in them all weekend. By the way, there is one elevator bay for the entire complex, so be ready to get some exercise.

Lest you think me a total pessimist, there are some good things about Seascape. The biggest and best, and the only thing they have going for them when it comes down to it (I believe they actually are very aware of this fact and that is why the condo itself is so crappy) is BEACH ACCESS. Even though Galveston beaches are truly among the worst in the country, it’s still a beach, and once your beer goggles are on it really doesn’t seem so bad. Just try to look directly at the water and no where else. Also, the water was the best I have EVER EVER seen it look in thirty years. It was clear to the bottom, very clean, and there was absolutely no tar, jellyfish, rays, nothing unpleasant except that *&$@ garbage. At any rate, walk out your door and in two minutes you can be in the water. This beats walking across that terrible four lane highway and down the graffiti scribbled seawall any day. We have stayed at Casa Del Mar in the past, which I prefer over Seascape, but you just can’t beat the accessibility to the beach.

Seascape has extremely comfortable bedding in both the bunkbeds and our queen. All were very soft and clean, there were plenty of utensils and kitchen items, ok furnishings, plenty of room, and a VERY nice balcony. This was what I loved second best. The balconies don’t bow like they do at Casa Del Mar, are extremely spacious (four Adirondack chairs and two tables fit fine) with a gorgeous view of the water. Best of all, you can’t see any trash from up there. The pool, deck, and spa areas were wonderful as well. Overall I would stay at Seascape again, but please guys, work on the customer satisfaction issues and PLEASE, PLEASE just rake the beaches in front of the property once a day.

Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2005

My husband and I drove down to Seascape. We wanted to look at it before booking a room. We live 2 hours from Galveston. The property is very nice. The staff was gracious and allowed us to look at many different rooms. We chose a one bedroom upgrade. It was recently remodeled and refurnished. It was beautiful and smelled great. The balcony view is not the best. One room we went in to was nasty smelling - smoke and musky. The other rooms were fine but we fell in love with room number 1202 - clean and pretty.

Stayed January 2005

Been to Seascape Condominium Rentals? Share your experiences!