“Expected Better” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Galveston Island Resort

You added Hilton Galveston Island Resort to your Saves list
Hilton Galveston Island Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   5400 Seawall Boulevard, Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77551   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
AAA Package
Ranked #18 of 49 Hotels in Galveston
AbuDhabi
“Expected Better”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2009

Noise from people walking, running, talking in the hall throughout the night spilled over into the room. Both check-in and check-out were incredibly slow. Airheads man the restaurant.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
fort worth, tx
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

I left a survey card for the management about my stay on June 7th, 2009, but I've received absolutely no reply. The tile floors were sticky and dirty. This wasn't overnight dirt; it was hair and dirt that had accumulated over time. My husband cleaned the sticky floors with a wet bath towel, and I have pictures of the filth. I expected a lot more from the Hilton. Take my advice, stay somewhere else in Galveston.

houston, texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2009

I stayed there (2) nights May 29-31, 2009 for a ladies weekend trip. I booked the rooms on Cheaprooms.com and therefore received and excellent rate. We stayed in a standard room with (2) Queen Beds and a balcony that overlooked the pool and had a partial oceanview (all balcony rooms only have a partial oceanview). The room was spacious and clean. The beds and pillows were very very comforty and had goose down comforters. There were plenty of mirrors and electrical plugs for getting dressed. The shower had good water pressure and plenty of hot water. The pool is great with a swim bar and plenty of lounge chairs and the hotel provides beach towels. Athough they needed to have more shaded areas or tables with umbrellas and you are not allowed to bring an ice chest. The hotel staff was very helpful and kind. The hotel is located on the seawall across from the beach. Landreys Seafood and Rain Forest Cafe restaurants are located next door to the hotel as well as many other restaurants in walking distance. The hotel has (2) medium size parking lots and the parking is free (Valet is $10.00). Overall my stay at the Hilton was wonderful and I will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Germantown, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

We were in town for the AIA Sandcastle Building Contest and Hilton is the host hotel; we were booked for two nights. When we arrived we decided to pay for valet parking ($10 per night) as we would have driven around for quite some time to catch an open space. There were four young men at the door; my door was opened and our luggage removed from our car promptly. We arrived at 8 p.m. but were told that our 2 queen bed room, which we had reserved three months earlier, was taken but we were given a king room in the tower on the fifth floor. This was an upgrade and we were not charged any more than the rate we were given as part of the event. I believe the entire hotel was booked - people were everywhere.

I was concerned that the hotel would be noisy and sleep would be an issue. I was relieved to get to the 5th floor of the tower and hear nothing. The room was nice - looks newly remodeled after Ike. Room included a safe, a nice sitting area, desk, and a very good size bathroom. In the tower there are no balconies but we had a great view of the ocean. The bed was very comfortable.

The air conditioner was not quiet but I prefer to have that type of ambient noise to noise from the hall. Good night sleep; plenty of water pressure; decent sized towels; clean room. We neglected to bring beach towels but were allowed to use two of the hotel beach towels for the day. The halls, entry points to the hotel, and lobby were always clean and seemed to be newly furnished (again, maybe due to the recent hurricane). We did not visit the pool area but, from what we saw, it looked very nice and there were always people in the pool area when it was open.

Had breakfast in the hotel cafe; pretty good, typical breakfast fare. Car pulled around for us promptly; plenty of assistance coming and going. Everyone we crossed paths with from the hotel were pleasant and professional. Forgot our laptop and had to pay to use the computers in the business center (I think it was $0.49 per minute).

We may check out some other hotels next year but only to try some of the more historic hotels on the island.

memphis TN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2009

We arrived in Galveston a half hour after check in time on our set day of arrival and learned that our original room was gone and they "upgraded us for free". The only problem with this was that we asked for a smoking room with an ocean view and we were upgraded to a non smoking room. When I mentioned we needed smoking or a balcony to smoke on they acted like they had no idea I had asked for smoking. I insisted on a balcony so I got downgraded to a balcony room...LOL . I reserved this room 3 months in advance. They gave our room to a bunch of cheerleaders who took up most of the hotel and who (according to the staff) drank all the sodas in the soda machines. All 6 coke machines were empty and there is no mini-fridge or any way to chill drinks. The 3rd night there were a bunch of drunk people in the hallway laughing and yelling at 1 am waking everyone up. It was quite inconvenient. I WILL NOT ever stay here again. When I complained about stuff they acted like I should just get over it. Stay at the Moody Gardens or the San Luiz. That is where we will go next time. The pool was nice and the food at the Palm Court restaurant was delicious. Thats about all the good things I can say about this place.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Houston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2009

Not only is the service terible but they are some of the rudest people I have ever met. They need a class in business one on one, they have failed to realize that customers pay their checks. When I tried to leave because the service and the room sucked so bad they told me I would still have to pay for the nights I had reserved. I understand the economy sucks but that doesnt give anybody the right to rip people off. The manager is Susan Salling, she needs to take a customer service class or something. This is the first reveiw I have ever writen and I will report them to the BBB.

texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2009

My family and 4 other families in our group selected the Hilton Hotel for a place to stay the night for an impending cruise the next day. When we checked in the Mgr. was at the front desk, he was exceptionally rude and acted as if we were bothering him. He made no effort to get us luggage carts (there was only one in sight), when asked where we might find another he just said, "I guess they are just on other floors". This was around 1:00 am, so I was shocked that more was not available. When we got to our room, it was clear it needed to be vacumed. I'll admit the outside of the hotel is appealing, but the halls and rooms are not. Our bathroom was mediocre at best. There was no hot water in the shower. You had to take a luke warm one. Which is very disappointing when you want to relax and take a hot shower. I will say the beds were quite comfortable and nice. When I booked this reservation I did it because we were going on a cruise the next day. I was told when you stay at the Hilton, they offer a shuttle to and from the cruise drop off and pick up location as a courtesy to the guests. We were shuttled to the drop off location, but when we returned we waited for 1 hour for a shuttle. They are suppose to run every 30 minutes. So, I called the front desk and got a complete moron. I then demanded to speak to the guest relations mgr. She was apologetic, but just said that one would be by in about 15 minutes. Well it never showed, and we had to pay a taxi to take us back to the Hilton. I mean I have 3 kids and an elderly Granny 73 years old!!! We had a total of 20 people in our party that was stood up by the Hilton!! When we got back to the hotel, I went in and spoke with this guest relations mgr. and showed her our receipts. She never offered to rectify the situation or reimburse us or nothing!!!!! It is really more the principal to me more than anything else. When you are at the Hilton, you just expect the normal stuff. This hole place SUCKS!!!!!!! Zero customer service, Zero communication, and I will never be back.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Been to Hilton Galveston Island Resort? Share your experiences!