“call first!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Galveston Island Resort

Save Saved
You added Hilton Galveston Island Resort to your Saves list
Hilton Galveston Island Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   5400 Seawall Boulevard, Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77551   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Pleasure Pier Pkg
Ranked #14 of 49 hotels in Galveston
memphis TN
“call first!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2009

We arrived in Galveston a half hour after check in time on our set day of arrival and learned that our original room was gone and they "upgraded us for free". The only problem with this was that we asked for a smoking room with an ocean view and we were upgraded to a non smoking room. When I mentioned we needed smoking or a balcony to smoke on they acted like they had no idea I had asked for smoking. I insisted on a balcony so I got downgraded to a balcony room...LOL . I reserved this room 3 months in advance. They gave our room to a bunch of cheerleaders who took up most of the hotel and who (according to the staff) drank all the sodas in the soda machines. All 6 coke machines were empty and there is no mini-fridge or any way to chill drinks. The 3rd night there were a bunch of drunk people in the hallway laughing and yelling at 1 am waking everyone up. It was quite inconvenient. I WILL NOT ever stay here again. When I complained about stuff they acted like I should just get over it. Stay at the Moody Gardens or the San Luiz. That is where we will go next time. The pool was nice and the food at the Palm Court restaurant was delicious. Thats about all the good things I can say about this place.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

755 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Houston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2009

Not only is the service terible but they are some of the rudest people I have ever met. They need a class in business one on one, they have failed to realize that customers pay their checks. When I tried to leave because the service and the room sucked so bad they told me I would still have to pay for the nights I had reserved. I understand the economy sucks but that doesnt give anybody the right to rip people off. The manager is Susan Salling, she needs to take a customer service class or something. This is the first reveiw I have ever writen and I will report them to the BBB.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2009

My family and 4 other families in our group selected the Hilton Hotel for a place to stay the night for an impending cruise the next day. When we checked in the Mgr. was at the front desk, he was exceptionally rude and acted as if we were bothering him. He made no effort to get us luggage carts (there was only one in sight), when asked where we might find another he just said, "I guess they are just on other floors". This was around 1:00 am, so I was shocked that more was not available. When we got to our room, it was clear it needed to be vacumed. I'll admit the outside of the hotel is appealing, but the halls and rooms are not. Our bathroom was mediocre at best. There was no hot water in the shower. You had to take a luke warm one. Which is very disappointing when you want to relax and take a hot shower. I will say the beds were quite comfortable and nice. When I booked this reservation I did it because we were going on a cruise the next day. I was told when you stay at the Hilton, they offer a shuttle to and from the cruise drop off and pick up location as a courtesy to the guests. We were shuttled to the drop off location, but when we returned we waited for 1 hour for a shuttle. They are suppose to run every 30 minutes. So, I called the front desk and got a complete moron. I then demanded to speak to the guest relations mgr. She was apologetic, but just said that one would be by in about 15 minutes. Well it never showed, and we had to pay a taxi to take us back to the Hilton. I mean I have 3 kids and an elderly Granny 73 years old!!! We had a total of 20 people in our party that was stood up by the Hilton!! When we got back to the hotel, I went in and spoke with this guest relations mgr. and showed her our receipts. She never offered to rectify the situation or reimburse us or nothing!!!!! It is really more the principal to me more than anything else. When you are at the Hilton, you just expect the normal stuff. This hole place SUCKS!!!!!!! Zero customer service, Zero communication, and I will never be back.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Spencer, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2009

We stayed here for 2 nights. This was our first trip to Galveston. The location of this hotel was good and the room was clean and comfortable. We enjoyed hanging out by the pool area and enjoyed the small balcony with the Gulf view. The ocean/beach is right across the street and several restaurants and shops are within walking distance. We had a problem with check-in because we were given the wrong room number and our key cards would not work. But the problem was corrected after we returned to the front desk. The lady at the gift shop was very friendly and conversational. Would stay here again if we ever return to Galveston.

Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2009

We stayed here for Spring Break because of its location close to the water on Galveston Island. The rates are very high which is expected because of its location; however, the rooms are very small, housekeeping is VERY poor; we had to ask for basic things daily that should have already been done, i.e., clean drinking glasses, vaccuming our room, etc. and the maids are not friendly at all. Also, the bathroom was in poor condition, beat-up toilet, old grout in the bathtub, etc. We have stayed at many Hilton hotels and are Gold Hilton Honors Members and this by far is the worse Hilton property we've ever stayed at in terms of service, cleanliness and value for the money. Considering they charge for a lot of things that are complimentary at other hotels, such as parking, internet hook-up, etc., We were very surprised at all this and very disappointed, therefore, If you want more for your hard-earned money, Stay Elsewhere!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
LEWISVILLE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2009

We stayed at this hotel before prior to a cruise and wanted to stay there again because we like it so much and it is convenient for cruisers. However, when trying to book it again, I was told that there is no vacancy. However, if I were to enter a two night stay instead of 2 room for one night, I cannot book. I have recommended this hotel many times in the past, but have difficulty recommending it when it is mandated that one must stay there 2 nights even though only one night is needed. I feel like my next stay in Galveston will be Hilton's loss and I don't think I'll recommend it to any one else unless they can get it for one night if that is all that is needed.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
The Woodlands, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2009

My family stayed here for a week in Oct. 2007 and had a great time. I just took my daughter for Spring Break 2009. It was our first time back to Galveston Island since Hurricane Ike. We had a beautiful view of the pool and the ocean to the front and to the side we backed up to the Rainforest Cafe volcano so we could see that flame up from our balcony. Gorgeous sunrises- very happy! Our room was clean and spacious with a large flatscreen monitor TV. The staff was amazing- polite and very accommodating. My husband & I just spent a week in Hawaii for Valentine's Day but I always enjoy Galveston more. The city has an amazing history and it just feels like "home". Galveston Island has made an amazing recovery in only 6 months after Hurricane Ike. There is still construction going on and evidence of some beach erosion. I predict Galveston will be BETTER than before within the next 2 years.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

Been to Hilton Galveston Island Resort? Share your experiences!