“Great Pre-Cruise Hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Galveston Island Resort

You added Hilton Galveston Island Resort to your Saves list
Hilton Galveston Island Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   5400 Seawall Boulevard, Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77551   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
AAA Package
Ranked #18 of 49 Hotels in Galveston
Colorado Springs, CO
“Great Pre-Cruise Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We stayed in this hotel prior to departing for a cruise out of Galveston. The location is directly across from the beach. The day we stayed, Sat. March 2, 2013 if was very cold and windy so did not walk on the beach. Although we did not take advantage of the beautiful pool, I understand from other guests that is was a heated pool and very pleasant.
We stayed in a King Balcony room that was comfortable. The only complaint is that the sliding door had a leaky seal and the wind noise was very annoying. My husband, being very handy, figured out how to block the wind around the door. Otherwise it would have been a very sleepless night.
The front desk staff and bellmen were excellent. Friendly, courteous and helpful with advice on getting the shuttle to the cruise port. The shuttle staff were very organized and efficient at loading the shuttle and getting us to the port in record time. The hotel provides free transport to the cruiseship. Although we did not bring our vehicle, I understand you could park in their longterm lot for no extra fee, while you were on the cruise.
There is a restaurant on site that we took advantage of. The food quality was very good, and we enjoyed our waiter. He had a great sense of humor. The Rainforest Cafe and IHOP are very conveniently located within a very short walk.

Room Tip: If you get a balcony room, try to get one facing the beach. The ones on the other side get a lot of...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Mike P, General Manager at Hilton Galveston Island Resort, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to post your comments on Trp Advisor. I will pass on your review to our staff. Have a great day!
Mike PIstone

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
Sugar Land, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at this hotel twice. Once, as a dating couple on a romatic weekend getaway; the second, as a newly-engaged couple (he proposed in the hotel room!). The first stay was nicer, even though the second came with an added bonus! The first stay was in the shorter tower on the 6th -the top- floor (how's that for feeling important?). I loved the balcony, which overlooked the pool and had a great angle of the beach. Breakfast in the restaurant was great.

Our second room was not as nice as the first and we were disappointed to realize, upon arrival, that it was a handicapped-accessible room. We called downstairs and after 30 minutes of trying to get moved to a different room (we were told the hotel was fully booked) we decided to suck it up and stay. The worst part about that whole experience, other than feeling awkward in the shower with the rails, was that the elevator for the second tower is about a mile out of the way from the center of the hotel.

I give the Average rating because, although my first impression was that this is a beautiful hotel, I took a couple points off after the second stay.

Room Tip: Get a beach view, stay in the first (shorter) tower! If you don't get a beach view your alternat...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Waco, texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We stayed here the night before our cruise. There were 5 adults. We had two rooms and some were on the 5th floor and some on the 2nd floor. I didn't think that was a problem except you use one elevator for the 2nd floor and another one, at the opposite end of the building for the 5th floor. Very, very inconvenient. The rooms are nice. The hotel is well kept. We didn't get in the pool or hottub but we were told they were heated. The hotel is in a good location. We stayed there because they have a shuttle to the cruise port. I think it would have been easier to park at the port rather than wait on the shuttle which was packed. There is much cheaper accommodations that I would use next time.

Room Tip: beware that the higher floors have a view of the ocean but no balcony.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Studio City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed in a room in the new tower that had big windows with a big view over the pool and the beach. It was nicely furnished and the bed was very comfortable. We appreciated the assistant manager who took care of seeing that we got the ADA room we requested. We had the AARP rate which included a full breakfast. We took a cruise from Galveston and the hotel took us over to the cruise terminal and picked us up when we returned. Galveston is a charming city and staying at the Hilton was a good choice.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
I appreciate you taking the time to post your comments on Trp Advisor. I will pass on your review to our staff.Please consider the Hilton Galveston in the future when in the area. Have a great day!
Laramie, Wyoming
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This property was truly beautiful. The service was great! Food in the restaurant was excellent. There was a charge for the internet which seems to be becoming more common at higher quality hotels. The only problem was that the toilet backed up and apparently they sent the repair person to the wrong room. A very uncomfortable hour later, I went to the lobby and asked for directions to the public restroom. The shuttle to the cruise ship was efficient. However, the bellman had not told us where to pick it up, so we nearly missed it. I took a bad fall while trying to get my luggage to the bus.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Spent a couple of nights during spring break at this hotel. We have stayed here before and really have enjoyed our stay. The pool is heated and that made a big difference since the weather was chilly. A couple of complaints- tried having breakfast at the restaurant and it was taking too long just to be seen by the hostess. Only 1 bartender at the pool bar so getting drinks or something to eat was also a slow process. One year they had a band by the pool but not this time. Overall it's a nice hotel but could be better.

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We have stayed at several hotels in Galveston. This was our first experience with the Hilton. My husband and I were both very impressed with the hotel and the staff. We stayed in the Deluxe King and had a super view of the beach and the pool. Thank you Hilton for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Mike P, General Manager at Hilton Galveston Island Resort, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
I can't tell you enough how appreciative I am for your kind words on the posting to Trip Advisor. Your comments go along way when we share them with staff. Please consider us when visiting our area again!
Mike Pistone

Been to Hilton Galveston Island Resort? Share your experiences!