“We had a great stay at the Harbor House!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Harbor House
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Pier 21, Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77550   |
Ranked #12 of 49 hotels in Galveston
Lumberton, Texas
“We had a great stay at the Harbor House!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

My husband, daughter, and I made a last minute trip to Galveston on Jan 5, 2013 . We booked a room here so we could be close to the Strand. We were greeted by the front desk attendant with a friendly smile and she made us feel very welcomed. Check in was quick! We went to our room and it was wonderful! We got a room that had 2 double beds and they were really comfortable. There was a big entertainment center with both a microwave and refrigerator as well as the TV. We had a couch and chair with coffee table and still had plenty of space for walking around. We had a coffee maker in the room with Wolfgang Puck coffee, which was AWESOME! There were plenty of bathroom amenities, even mouthwash! My husband went to breakfast while we slept in. He was fine with the breakfast. There were pastries, juices, etc. Also there was apples and orange in a basket that you could get throughout the day. Checkout was a breeze! I am very pleased with this hotel. I have stayed at MANY hotels in Galveston over the years and this is one of our favorites.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
WyndhamGalveston, Public Relations Manager at Harbor House, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting comments on your recent stay and we are happy to hear that we made your favorite hotel list. We hope you come visit us again soon.

278 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
humble tx
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Hotel was very noisey. Room was below standards. Room needed updating, found places that needed cleaning. Breakfast was lacking. Had to go to store to purchase my own milk. Pillows on bed needed to be replaced, very flat used blanket for support. One upside was location close to restraunts and water. Just not what i expected for price.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting your feedback on your stay. We wanted to let you know that we have plans to make some updates later in the year so we hope that you will make a return visit.
Irving, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for one night before our cruise and were extremely happy with both the service and the room. It's a quaint little hotel, an older building refurbished into a hotel. The rooms are very large and well appointed. We were very surprised at the low rates and felt we got a great deal for our money. We left our car in the parking lot for the duration of our cruise and were only charged $20, which is a discount from the cruise parking lots and we just walked to the pier! Would highly recommend this hotel and will come back again for a long weekend due to it's close proximity to The Strand and the great water views.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
WyndhamGalveston, Guest Relations Manager at Harbor House, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Harbor House. The hotel really is a gem and it's location at Pier 21 does make it very convenient for cruisers. We look forward to your next visit.
Houston, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We stayed here for a one night getaway and really wished we had made it two nights. When you call, ask for discounts. We found the place to be about 10-20% less than the Tremont, a sister property. It is a small property and we were there when there was a wedding so it felt pretty busy. But it was very nice, had large clean spacious rooms, and we would definitely go back.

It is close to The Strand and the cruise lines, but not the beach. If your visit is primarily to spend your day on the beach and the seawall, stay elsewhere. But for a quiet weekend, we love it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
WyndhamGalveston, Guest Relations Manager at Harbor House, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay at Harbor House. Harbor House is one of those nice, quiet spots for a getaway so we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We hope you make a return visit soon.
Huntsville, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I usually always stay at a name brand chain for my reward points. But I wanted something different, romantic, and cozy for our 11th anniversary. We found it and more in the Harbor House! After reading the reviews I thought I'd give it a try. I was so glad I did. My wife and I stayed in a suite and it was beyond awesome... So relaxing and perfect. The views of the harbor are awesome! The rooms are very clean. I was worried after other reviews about the must smell as I have allergies, but our room was perfect, no smells at all. The staff is great. Our check in was easy, fun, and warm. The staff, including maintenance and house keeping, always greeted us with a smile. Yes, the breakfast is small, but everything else here far, far makes up for that!!!!!! I cannot say enough good. You will love it. The only suggestion I have is that the management would do like other hotels and include a binder/book in the room with local info, check out times, vending/ice machine, and info and history of the hotel itself. My wife kept asking about the history of the beautiful, awesome inn! Thanks, all the staff of Harbor House, for a perfect stay! To the kind lady and gentleman who checked us in the night we arrived, thanks... your kindness and warmth was so welcoming!!!! Btw... The beds are comfortable and the use of the pool at sister facility is great.

Room Tip: The suite is worth the price. 301 has great views in all directions!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
EDMOND
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We stayed here before our cruise. The hotel location is great so you can see the ships dock. The room was very large and spacious. They charge you to park which I find strange if you are staying there for the night where else would you leave your car? They also will let you leave your car there when you cruise for a fee. This hotel offers breakfast but it is minimal expect a continental breakfast only. The problem I had with them is they told me one rate over the phone and a different rate when I checked in, luckily I had my confirmation so they told me they would honor the price. In the morning when i checked out the price was still wrong by the same $20.00 they tried to overcharge the previous day. I called her on it again and she finally charged me the correct price I was quoted. Then I wanted to pay with cash and she told me she hoped I had correct change or could get close because she did not have a cash drawer! ok, is this a business or is it not? They should have a small petty cash fund on hand. So I paid her in cash for two rooms and when she added the two rooms together to give me one proce she again increased it by $20.00 - I think the lady just wanted 20 bucks for herself or something I can't figure it out. Imagine how many people put their rooms on a credit card and do not even notice the increase until they get home and then figure it only 20 bucks and it so late and do not question them, nice way to make extra moeny off each guest I guess. This put me off the hotel, I feel like thye are cheating the customer.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We stayed here in November, during the off-season. The location: beyond excellent. It's on Pier 21 so all the attractions and restaurants there are literally just outside the door. The Strand is a couple of blocks away, easily walkable. If you are doing Moody Gardens or the various home tours, you'll want to drive. The hotel itself: charges for guest parking. Very odd. The lobby is tiny. The interior is overwhelmingly beige, and as a designer this bothered me so much, I wrote a whole blog post about it. I won't go into it here other than to say it gave the hotel an institutional feel. The continental breakfast offered coffee, juice, croissants, bagels, cinnamon raisin bread, oatmeal, and yogurt. The room: this redeemed the boring public areas of the hotel. Our room had a gorgeous, wood-beamed high ceiling and struck me as large for a regular (non-suite) room. Windows that actually open combined with a ceiling fan means we didn't need the in-room climate control at all. Our room had a microwave and fridge, and a full living room style seating area. Again, unusual for a regular room. The bed was comfy with good linens and a down comforter. The light switches are a bit odd: one switch often control multiple lights, and it took us most of the trip to figure out which was which. The bath was tiny and had terrible lighting. Despite being on the harbor, there isn't much of a view from any room. And there's this: when we first arrived, we didn't notice the train tracks just outside the front of the hotel. But we sure noticed the loud train that went by twice per night. Do yourself a favor by asking for a room near the water, away from the tracks. Although we plan to stay at The Tremont next time, I would come back here in the future. The spacious, comfy rooms combined with the location make it a great place if you want to be in the middle of the action.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Harbor House? Share your experiences!