“Nice property, refurbished older building converted to hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Harbor House
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Pier 21, Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77550   |
Ranked #10 of 49 hotels in Galveston
Houston, TX
“Nice property, refurbished older building converted to hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We stayed here for a one night getaway and really wished we had made it two nights. When you call, ask for discounts. We found the place to be about 10-20% less than the Tremont, a sister property. It is a small property and we were there when there was a wedding so it felt pretty busy. But it was very nice, had large clean spacious rooms, and we would definitely go back.

It is close to The Strand and the cruise lines, but not the beach. If your visit is primarily to spend your day on the beach and the seawall, stay elsewhere. But for a quiet weekend, we love it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
WyndhamGalveston, Guest Relations Manager at Harbor House, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay at Harbor House. Harbor House is one of those nice, quiet spots for a getaway so we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We hope you make a return visit soon.

316 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Huntsville, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I usually always stay at a name brand chain for my reward points. But I wanted something different, romantic, and cozy for our 11th anniversary. We found it and more in the Harbor House! After reading the reviews I thought I'd give it a try. I was so glad I did. My wife and I stayed in a suite and it was beyond awesome... So relaxing and perfect. The views of the harbor are awesome! The rooms are very clean. I was worried after other reviews about the must smell as I have allergies, but our room was perfect, no smells at all. The staff is great. Our check in was easy, fun, and warm. The staff, including maintenance and house keeping, always greeted us with a smile. Yes, the breakfast is small, but everything else here far, far makes up for that!!!!!! I cannot say enough good. You will love it. The only suggestion I have is that the management would do like other hotels and include a binder/book in the room with local info, check out times, vending/ice machine, and info and history of the hotel itself. My wife kept asking about the history of the beautiful, awesome inn! Thanks, all the staff of Harbor House, for a perfect stay! To the kind lady and gentleman who checked us in the night we arrived, thanks... your kindness and warmth was so welcoming!!!! Btw... The beds are comfortable and the use of the pool at sister facility is great.

Room Tip: The suite is worth the price. 301 has great views in all directions!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
EDMOND
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We stayed here before our cruise. The hotel location is great so you can see the ships dock. The room was very large and spacious. They charge you to park which I find strange if you are staying there for the night where else would you leave your car? They also will let you leave your car there when you cruise for a fee. This hotel offers breakfast but it is minimal expect a continental breakfast only. The problem I had with them is they told me one rate over the phone and a different rate when I checked in, luckily I had my confirmation so they told me they would honor the price. In the morning when i checked out the price was still wrong by the same $20.00 they tried to overcharge the previous day. I called her on it again and she finally charged me the correct price I was quoted. Then I wanted to pay with cash and she told me she hoped I had correct change or could get close because she did not have a cash drawer! ok, is this a business or is it not? They should have a small petty cash fund on hand. So I paid her in cash for two rooms and when she added the two rooms together to give me one proce she again increased it by $20.00 - I think the lady just wanted 20 bucks for herself or something I can't figure it out. Imagine how many people put their rooms on a credit card and do not even notice the increase until they get home and then figure it only 20 bucks and it so late and do not question them, nice way to make extra moeny off each guest I guess. This put me off the hotel, I feel like thye are cheating the customer.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We stayed here in November, during the off-season. The location: beyond excellent. It's on Pier 21 so all the attractions and restaurants there are literally just outside the door. The Strand is a couple of blocks away, easily walkable. If you are doing Moody Gardens or the various home tours, you'll want to drive. The hotel itself: charges for guest parking. Very odd. The lobby is tiny. The interior is overwhelmingly beige, and as a designer this bothered me so much, I wrote a whole blog post about it. I won't go into it here other than to say it gave the hotel an institutional feel. The continental breakfast offered coffee, juice, croissants, bagels, cinnamon raisin bread, oatmeal, and yogurt. The room: this redeemed the boring public areas of the hotel. Our room had a gorgeous, wood-beamed high ceiling and struck me as large for a regular (non-suite) room. Windows that actually open combined with a ceiling fan means we didn't need the in-room climate control at all. Our room had a microwave and fridge, and a full living room style seating area. Again, unusual for a regular room. The bed was comfy with good linens and a down comforter. The light switches are a bit odd: one switch often control multiple lights, and it took us most of the trip to figure out which was which. The bath was tiny and had terrible lighting. Despite being on the harbor, there isn't much of a view from any room. And there's this: when we first arrived, we didn't notice the train tracks just outside the front of the hotel. But we sure noticed the loud train that went by twice per night. Do yourself a favor by asking for a room near the water, away from the tracks. Although we plan to stay at The Tremont next time, I would come back here in the future. The spacious, comfy rooms combined with the location make it a great place if you want to be in the middle of the action.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Bulverde, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Our first night here we were put in room 228 which is terrible. this room has a very noisy ceiling fan! One window. The next night we were moved to room 228 which was better, however the a/c was terribly noisy and the fan on the unit did not work, so you could hear the unit clanging on and off all night long. thank God I brought a white noise maker with me to drown that out. One thing consistent throughout our stay was the very dim lighting in the rooms. The lighting system is terrible. There is a ceiling fan in the room which should have a light on it but doesn't. Also...just go somewhere else for breakfast. Our first night they had only raisin bread and bagels with no cream cheese. It's all pastries, no protein at all. It would be nice to have some cereal and milk. We left to eat at Miller's Landing which was awesome!
The ladies at the first floor check in were very sweet. The first floor is for check in only. No rooms on this floor. However, there is a restaurant on this floor so keep that in mind when staying here. You'll have to deal with the noise from the restaurant underneath you.

We probably won't stay here again if we come back. It's my opinion that parking at a hotel should be included in the price of the room. What should we do...park across the street and walk to the hotel? Parking is $10/night. Our three night stay from Thursday-sunday morning was close to $500!
Best part was watching the three cruise ships pull in and out from our room, and also, very close to the wonderful shopping on the Strand.

Room Tip: don't let them put you in room 228...it is the worst room in the house with a king size bed. the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Leicester, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Excellent location at Pier 21 with great harbour views from our room. Good choice of restaurants in walking distance and plenty of interesting locations in the "Strand" historic area close by.
No complaints and would happily visit again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Forney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Would definitely stay here again. Great location for strand shopping. Parking a little crowded but okay. Hotel staff very friendly and helpful. Good restaurants within walking distance. Nice area to sit outside and view harbor.

• Stayed October 2012
WyndhamGalveston, Guest Relations Manager at Harbor House, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thanks for the positive feedback. We look forward to your next visit.

Been to Harbor House? Share your experiences!