“Scottish Inn Perfect for Pre-Cruise Night” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Scottish Inn

You added Scottish Inn to your Saves list
Scottish Inn
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   928 Ferry Road, Galveston, Galveston Island, TX 77550 (Formerly Red Carpet Inn)   |
Ranked #19 of 49 Hotels in Galveston
“Scottish Inn Perfect for Pre-Cruise Night”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

After reading many reviews, I settled on staying at the Scottish Inn the night before our RCCL cruise. We were going to be there on my daughter's fiance's birthday. To save money, we all shared a double room. I couldn't afford to spend a lot of money, but I still wanted something clean, comfortable and convenient. This didn't disappoint.

The owner, Sam, was great. He got us checked in very quickly and was very friendly. Our room was on the second floor, with the entryway overlooking the pool area. We didn't have time to swim, but several people were. It was very clean and looked to be in great shape.

That night we went to walk around downtown, browsing in and out of shops. Then we had dinner at The Original Mexican food restaurant (which was very good). Later, we looked around the old cemetery. (We find them very interesting, rich with history.) The beds were comfortable, and we all slept well.

The next morning we took advantage of the light breakfast foods offered. There were prepackaged pastries, fruit, cereal, juice, ... This was the only thing that I think could use a little more thought put into it; But it was fine, and it totally served its purpose.

Sam let us park our vehicle up front, where it would be visible by security cameras, and he graciously made arrangements for someone that had a pickup to take us to the pier. Think it costs about $15, but we gave him $20 for help with all our bags.

The ferry is within walking distance, and there were always police in the street close-by helping to direct traffic. It's a very safe area, we all agreed. The other guests we met were very nice, and it seemed to be a very family friendly place.

After a wonderful cruise, we took a cab back to the hotel. No problems with our vehicle, and Sam even offered some breakfast food for the road.

We will definitely stay again at the Scottish Inn. It's a good value for the money, and Sam was great!

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
scottishinngalveston, Front Office Manager at Scottish Inn, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
Thank You Tammy for staying with us, we are happy your stay was good.
We really try to please everybody. Hope to see you again. Sam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
albion mi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

It is a little out of the way, No beach views etc. However, with the seaweed problem in Galveston this year, being away from the beach is a blessing! The owner was very helpful and wanted to make our stay as pleasant as possible. The pool was wonderful and the rooms very clean. All in all, very nice stay. Cant beat the price

Room Tip: The bolivar ferry lines up on the road so try to get the other side of the hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your review on my place. Came a long way to visit Galveston hope you had a safe trip back. Thank You Sam
Corpus Christi, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

I've stayed in cheap hotels before, so when we walked in and saw that the windows were covered in what looked like children's sheets- we were fine with it. The beds were hard as rocks, but we knew we would be at the peer for the evening, so one rough night would be tolerable. We came in at 10:30, began getting ready to sleep- my daughter shrieked as the toilet overflowed & water ran into our carpeted bedroom area. They ran to get owner, which seemed annoyed with US!!?! My mom complained that we had been charged $200+ And the beds were horrible. Owner replies, "We will remedy this right now, you will leave & I will refund your money!" I nervously began calling other hotels. He BANGED on the door again and said, "You will leave now or I will not refund your money!" I turned to my mom and asked, "He's demanding that we LEAVE... I've never been kicked out of a hotel room in my life!" He tells me the refund will post in two days... we ended up driving 3 hours home! My husband was so upset! When he called owner, he is told we left after midnight (UNTRUE), and that he will NOT refund our money as promised! I've tried to call Sam- he HUNG UP ON ME, said I should expect a call from the police because he feels my husband threatened him over phone! I've never been treated so poorly, my husband was horrified that we drove home in the middle of the night- no other hotels were available.. even into Houston. Completely degrading experience! Please stay elsewhere- there are lots of comparitively priced hotels, cleaner and closer to restaurants & sea wall!

• Stayed April 2014
Spokane, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

My family and I stayed here last month before our cruise. We loved the quiet location and fair price. The owner was the nicest guy. He made sure we had snacks for our room, as we arrived there late from Houston. The Beds were very comfortable and rooms were clean. In the morning the owner had transportation ready for us to get to the cruise ship, and the rates of his guy was 1/2 of anyone else or a taxi. He was a blessing and as I told my wife, you dont often look back at a vaction trip and say "one of the best times of the trip was staying at a hotel". You cant go wrong with this place.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
scottishinngalveston, Front Office Manager at Scottish Inn, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Thank you very much for staying with us and hope you had a wonderful cruise
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

Date of Stay: March 27th - 30th 2014

I was fortunate enough to find this establishment on short notice and it was much better than a another well-known chain that I stayed in previously. From the very beginning to end, it was a memorable experience and an enjoyable stay.

Sam and his wife are the NICEST couple I have ever met to run a hotel and work very hard to make sure you are comfortable. Even my girlfriend (who has high standards) was impressed and pleased with the selection of accommodations and there is nothing like making sure the lady is happy. :)

While it is not on the main drag near the seawall, that is only a five minute drive and frankly I appreciate being away from the crowds at the end of a day touring the charming city of Galveston. The kitchenette is very convenient with a coffeemaker, (critical to girlfriend's sanity) fridge and microwave so you can store and cook snacks found at any local grocery.

BTW, Sam is very protective of his clients and will not tolerate troublemakers which is too rare a quality these days with innkeepers. The rooms have unique circular windows reminiscent of those on a ship, and the thickness of the walls ensures privacy.

The Galveston police also heavily patrol this area because of the fines associated with cutting in line at the ferry ($500 - so don't try it) so it was nice to know that 911 was less than a minute away.

I come to Galveston periodically and will insist on booking my stays here from now on.

Happy Trails,

JAG

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank You Joel for a very detailed review you put everything in prospective
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014 via mobile

This was our second visit to the Scottish Inn, and I must say it was better than the first (wasn't sure that was possible)! As I have said before.....if you are looking for the Hylton, this is not your place. However, if you are looking for a clean, safe, reasonable room with the BEST service available, than look no farther! The owners are absolutely wonderful! You will not find two nicer people!! The rooms are clean and the beds are very comfortable. We were able to leave our car there while on our cruise and knew it would be completely safe! Already planning next years cruise, and will definitely be staying there again before we set sail!!

• Stayed March 2014
Thank You Michelle for your wonderful review we really appreciate that, we really do try hard to please everyone.
Harrah, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

Stayed March 14th and 15th 2014. Guys. It's not a Doubletree or anything like that folks.
What I can say is Sam is working hard to make sure your room is comfortable and clean. It's a value inn located in a unique location. Close to the Port Bolivar Ferry. Stay here. ride the ferry. Go down Harbor drive and check out the old downtown. Go get some chocolate at La King.
Moody gardens is cool. It's a great homebase to explore.

We loved Sam and his pleasant staff and I felt like an old friend as soon as I met him. Not kidding. If you're expecting 5 star. it's not that. If you want a nice room with value. It is a 5 star.
Danny from Oklahoma.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
scottishinngalveston, Front Office Manager at Scottish Inn, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Thank You Daniel, very nice and we realy appriciate the very nice comment on myself and the wife Thank you
Sam

Been to Scottish Inn? Share your experiences!